-
-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
This topic currently not pinned so as to permit responses from any TNP residents

The Council of Five voting shall, barring surprises, take place on a page located at:
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/pages/voter_ballot/
which will be similar to
http://testforum.thenorthpacific.org/pages/voter_ballot/

Voters will receive a URL similar to the below in a telegram:

http://testforum.thenorthpacific.org/pages/voter_ballot/?Zemnaya Svoboda#012345

If the voter has javascript enabled, they will find the ballot with their nation name and voter ID code filled in for them, and the candidates in random order.

The telegram will also note that attempting to vote multiple times is Fraud under TNP law and punishable as such, and that the votes will be counted using Single Transferable Vote using the Droop Quota. Finally, the telegram will link to a factbook which will contain all of the candidate blurbs and links to the candidates' campaign threads. If people think it a good idea, I will ask forum administration to enable guest posting in this elections board for the week of voting, to allow any TNP nation to ask questions of candidates with a minimum of fuss.

If any political parties come forward with party lists (sufficiently early that I have the time to implement such a system), I may implement them such that clicking on an image of the party logo will result in the ballot being automatically filled in with the party's recommended order of preference.

GBM what browser are you running? It works fine in Firefox for me but it could be a browser compatibility issue.

Those who have voted can now see an estimated Count. Currently this is just a count of how many votes have been lodged. Some votes may be invalidated due to more advanced multiing, but I am optimistic that this won't happen.

If there is demand, I may add code to estimate who is winning. I'm hesitant to do so however as it may concievably allow for some guessing as to who voted which way. Perhaps instead I'll do a nightly report on how the votes stand :)

Pasargad:
my puppet nations in TNP also got the TG for voting this is not going to work !!!!
will not be voting!!!
:headbang:

You won't be able to vote with multiple nations because it records your IP.

Even if someone is sneaky and uses proxies, sufficient information is logged that I'll be able to filter those votes out at the end. Any questions?

Eluvatar:
Pasargad:
my puppet nations in TNP also got the TG for voting this is not going to work !!!!
will not be voting!!!
:headbang:

You won't be able to vote with multiple nations because it records your IP.

Even if someone is sneaky and uses proxies, sufficient information is logged that I'll be able to filter those votes out at the end. Any questions?
i can use 35 different IPs to vote .it only costs 2.5$.

democracy does not mean that you give voting rights to everyone.like you do not ask a nation that was created 12 hours ago to vote .like in Real life a 2 months old kid does not vote in elections and tourists and illegal immigrants do not vote if they are present in a country during election time.

And if it wasn't detectable then it wouldn't matter how we collected the ballots. By that logic we should just get rid of the RA because there's nothing to stop me from buying 35 IP's and registering multiple times.

89 votes have been recorded.

Beat that, forum vote. :P

This is how a democracy with a feeder should look like, in my opinion. The Regional Assembly still stands for informed, political citizens to vote on legislative matters, but elections? What other region in NationStates can claim to have a good ol' fashion ballot vote among eighty-some people!? This is fantastic. Hail TNP!

All said, for certain instances, this type of voting could be a very useful tool in getting people to get involved on the forum. It's also useful for gathering statistical information, especially on those prone to multying. ;D

Gulliver:
And if it wasn't detectable then it wouldn't matter how we collected the ballots. By that logic we should just get rid of the RA because there's nothing to stop me from buying 35 IP's and registering multiple times.
yes you should because this election does not recognize RA membership as requirement for voting

Actually the previous Co5 election wasn't restricted to just RA members either: it included Registered Citizens.

Half way through the elections could we get an update on results? Only if no one objects, of course :)

Elu - I just clicked on the vote count link, and it says I have not voted. I voted yesterday.

Edit: Checked again - its working now

109 nations have voted.

Why can't it be done on the forum? That's how the election law currently has it working. FPTP is superior to Single Transferable Vote.

1. We are doing it through this forum. Presumably you mean posting votes in a thread: We aren't doing that to allow nations not on the forum to participate and to use a secret ballot.

2. That may be how legally defined positions are elected, but this election to positions within the Executive is defined by Directive 1, not TNP Law.
Directive 0x01:
Section 2: Council of Five Elections

1. At any time when there are fewer than five Councillors, the Delegate may call an immediate election.
  2. At any time 25 days have passed since the conclusion of the last election, the Delegate may call an election.
  3. Nominations will take place on the regional forum and last 3 days. Candidates must be eligible to be Executive Officers. Candidates must be members of the Regional Assembly who are not the Speaker or a Justice.
  4. The Delegate will operate a voting system such that each voter has one vote, each vote is equal, any TNP nation may vote so long as it is verified not to be another voter who has already voted or to be using a proxy, and the votes are counted proportionally.
  5. Voting will take place over the course of 7 days.
  6. The Delegate will transmit information for voters consisting of a brief blurb from each candidate to all nations eligible to vote during the first day of voting.
  7. At the conclusion of voting the Delegate will declare the results and the new councillors will swear oaths of office.

3. First Past The Post is inferior to the Single Transferrable Vote. In my opinion one need only read the history of STV in the US to see why: It was used in New York City to break the grip of Tammany Hall on the City Council, and it was abandonned in a number of cities shortly after WWII because black people, urban republicans, and the occasional communist were getting some (proportional) representation (as opposed to none). Single Transferrable Vote is simply better at representing all the people than First Past The Post is.

Edit: Changing the Directive is in the scope of the Council of Five's powers, so you can run on a platform of trying to change this.

If the campaign threads are to remain open through the election i do not like that once votes are cast they cannot be changed (as they could on forum votes). I have read subsequent posts on the election threads that might have influenced the order of my voting.

flemingovia:
If the campaign threads are to remain open through the election i do not like that once votes are cast they cannot be changed (as they could on forum votes). I have read subsequent posts on the election threads that might have influenced the order of my voting.
I agree

Back