Request for Judicial Inquiry

Blue Wolf II

A Wolf Most Blue
-
TNP Nation
Blue_Wolf_II
As found in this topic here, the Root Admin and current Attorney General has decided the word "d-o-g" is no longer acceptable and will now be auto-filtered to "God". Besides this being extremely hubris, I believe it also constitutes a violation of the Bill of Right, specifically:

Bill of Rights:
2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under this Constitution.

It is commonly known that I had a nickname for the Root Admin which was comprised of the letter sequence "D-o-g". I feel that my right to free speech has been violated.

I ask the Courts to look into this matter, see if any violations of the Bill of Rights has occurred, and see if any criminal charges can be brought against the Root Admin. I would also like to point out I don't foresee our current Attorney General filing charges against himself, so in the even that the Court does find a violation worthy of criminal prosecution, I ask that Head Justice appoint a new temporary Attorney General.

Being that I am a Justice and I have a clear Conflict of Interests, I recluse myself from this matter. Thank you.

IF it please the court, Speaking AS god I find it blasphemous and offensive in the extreme that all references to d-o-g-s in this region will automatically be autrorrected to seem to refer to me.

Consider what would happen if the following sentences were written without hyphens:

"I cannot be onlone tomorrow, I have to take my d-o-g to be castrated."
"Oh no, my d-o-g just pood on the new carpet."

Please, to save me from much embarassment, could you intercede in this matter?

On a more serious note, and with an admin hat on, I would point out that the courts of TNP have no juristiction over the administration of this forum. Therefore whatever the court decides, Grosse is not a government official (when acting as admin) and the court cannot order him or any other admin to do diddly squat.

As far as Admins go, Forum administrators work with a strict hierarchy of rank: Grosseschnauzer is senior administrator and root administrator. Neither Ator People nor myself have the authority to overrule Grosseschnauzer. QUite the other way around.

Forum adminstration has received word of complaints being made, and harshly so I've been told, over Blue Wolf's posting behavior. (see ToU item 3.1.b). Therefore this is a forum administration matter, and not a court jurisdiction matter.
This has happened with other forum administrators in the past, in particular, Flemingovia and Hersfold, and the remedial practice dating back to the founding of these forums is to use word filters tailored to remedy the matter.
Should Blue Wolf agree to stop the abusive behavior, then the filters can be removed. The only other option would have been a series of warnings that could have led to Blue Wolf's permanent banning from the forums for violation of forum policies terms of service and terms of use.

Grosse is quite correct. Most of the filters were put in by myself, if memory serves.

There are filters in place to prevent offensive variants of my name, that of Heft, Hersfold, and Twoslit.

We have had others in the past too, I think.

point is, this is hardly a new thing. Free speech does not include the freedom to deliberately ridicule or call names.

flemingovia:
There are filters in place to prevent offensive variants of my name, that of Heft, Hersfold, and Twoslit.
The previous filters you mentioned contained language with can undeniably be considered offensive, for example Twoslit's nickname implied he was a pair of sluts. My nickname for the Mutt comes directly from his name, which contains schnauzer, which is a type of animal which we are now forbidden from discussing on this forum.

Him getting upset over it would be like me getting upset over someone calling me Gmork, which is the villainous wolf at the end of Neverending Story. The whole matter is quite silly and the fact that the Mutt decided to word filter it before even coming to me to express his annoyance over the nickname is quite silly.

Perhaps I should come up with a list of acceptable nicknames, eh? I'm thinking about Spot, Lassie, Old Yeller, Gross the God, Gross, Puppy, Mr. Yippy, and of course Mutt.

flemingovia:
IF it please the court, Speaking AS god I find it blasphemous and offensive in the extreme that all references to d-o-g-s in this region will automatically be autrorrected to seem to refer to me.

Consider what would happen if the following sentences were written without hyphens:

"I cannot be onlone tomorrow, I have to take my d-o-g to be castrated."
"Oh no, my d-o-g just pood on the new carpet."

Please, to save me from much embarassment, could you intercede in this matter?
I'm afraid the new filter has rendered several of my recent posts either blasphemous or nonsensical. Something like the tail wagging the God.

Really though, we could do with more civility between members. We are all much too bright to resort to name-calling. And admin actions to filter the names is just a round-about way to band-aid the issue without directly addressing it.

I only acted after I recieved a PM from someone who reported that (I assume on IRC) there have been numerous objections to your posting behavior and that they had unsuccessfully asked you to stop to no avail.

I haven't said anything because my way of addressing abusing and boorish langusge of name calling is to just ignore it. But since peer pressure hadn't worked, it was time to use a known and acceptable remedial tool to put a stop to it. And I knew if I said anything first, you would have ignored it and continued anyway.

I'd think vwey hard before trying to assemble a "list" because that could be legitimately construed as abusive behavior in violation of the forum terms of use. That makes it exclusive an forum moderation matter and the policies on repeated violations on the same behavior in violation of the ToU is clear.

The only way to settle the matter is to drop the behavior. If you want a nickname, call me schnauzer. It's part of my user name and incapable of being abused. (Just as I use wolf for you, again, it's part of your name and incapableof being abusive.)

I think you're overstepping your bounds and blowing this out of proportion and into the ridiculous, Mr Barky.

Your personal grudge against me is well know, however, so this should come as no real surprise. Still, I I feel I haven't even come close to violating the ToS and this is just another excuse to abuse your power.

Opinion of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Blue Wolf II on use of work filters

The Court took into consideration the Inquiry as filed by Blue Wolf II:

Request for Judicial Inquiry:
As found in this topic here, the Root Admin and current Attorney General has decided the word "d-o-g" is no longer acceptable and will now be auto-filtered to "God". Besides this being extremely hubris, I believe it also constitutes a violation of the Bill of Right, specifically:

Bill of Rights:
2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under this Constitution.

It is commonly known that I had a nickname for the Root Admin which was comprised of the letter sequence "D-o-g". I feel that my right to free speech has been violated.

I ask the Courts to look into this matter, see if any violations of the Bill of Rights has occurred, and see if any criminal charges can be brought against the Root Admin. I would also like to point out I don't foresee our current Attorney General filing charges against himself, so in the even that the Court does find a violation worthy of criminal prosecution, I ask that Head Justice appoint a new temporary Attorney General.

When reviewing this request the Court looked at the Bill of Rights:

Section 2 of the Bill of Rights:

The Court opines the following:

The usage of the board word filter system to automatically change the word "D-o-g" to "God" is in fact a violation of the Bill of Rights. The Court has determined that the text of the Bill of Rights is very clear on this matter. The Court would also like to note that it has no jurisdiction over ZetaBoards Terms of Use and Terms of Service Policy Violations and these are to be dealt with by the boards administrative staff exclusively. However, the opinion of the Court does not change.

The Court would also like to note that in the future it would be wise for the administration staff specifically those that are offended to contact the person offending them and attempt to resolve the issue before taking harsh actions such as filtering such a common word.

The usage of the board word filter system to automatically change the word "D-o-g" to "God" is in fact a violation of the Bill of Rights.

An interesting decision, and one that I am sure the admins will discuss in depth. For clarification, there are a number of other word filters in place on this forum, some of which are less offensive than the Dog/God switch. For reference these are (hyplens mine):

Two-shit changes to Twoslit
Flameing-ovia changes to Flemingovia
Hers-fuck changes to Hersfold
Hars-fart changes to (I tried a childish, rude parody of Hersfold's name here)
Hefty-wefty changes to Heft
thenorth-pacific.info changes to "whoopsnoadvertisingthatforum"
Two-slut changes to Twoslit

In the past there have also been other filters applied for short periods until the heat died down on a particular "joke". For example, at one time "Fuckingovia" was changed to "Flemingovia", but for some reason this was removed (by me, but I cannot remember why).

Would the opinion of the court be that these word filters too constitute a violation of free speech? Some of them, especially "hefty-wefty" and "Flame-ingovia" are less offensive than "Dog" when applied to a person.

I would also remind those reading what the court clearly realises by giving an opinion rather than a ruling, that on TNP decisions on word filters etc are made by the admins, and the court has no juristiction over the administrator.

Wasn't it the NPD that employed word filters to a ridiculous extent? You really had trouble getting your point across because your words would be all twisted around. The list of this forum's current word filters doesn't include words that are in ordinary usage with the exception of "the d-o-g." Recently I found a number of my canine-related ooc posts have been rendered incomprehensible or blasphemous. Because of that I feel this particular filter presents an impediment to free speech.

Back