Super-Majority Fractions

Gulliver

TNPer
This poll is to decide the question of whether, for actions which require a legislative super-majority, there should be multiple types of super-majorities, or a single fraction used across the board. The options, based on the discussion so far, are:
  • 1. Both 3/5's and 2/3's super-majorities: Use a 3/5's super-majority for some matters and a 2/3's one for others;
  • 2. 3/5's super-majorities only: Use a 3/5's super-majority in all cases;
  • 3. 2/3's super-majorities only: Use a 2/3's super-majority in all cases;
  • 4. Another fraction or combination: Use another fraction for super-majorities not listed here, either on its own or alongside others for different matters.
You may pick up to 3 options.

I have no problems with a combination of 3/5ths and 2/3rds; however, I believe that amendments to the Bill of Rights only should be 3/4ths or even greater. The text has gone without any substantive change through three constitutions, except for the forced change due to the NSUN to the WA, and the label change of "impeachment" to "recall."

I voted for "2/3's super-majorities only" as I believe it to be the only way for effective change and progress to be able to come to the TNP.

I don't see the need for the higher number to amend the Bill of Rights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's currently 2/3 and like you say it hasn't been substantively amended in sometime - so what's the problem?

Haor Chall:
I don't see the need for the higher number to amend the Bill of Rights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's currently 2/3 and like you say it hasn't been substantively amended in sometime - so what's the problem?
It was recently changed to 2/3 from 3/4.

I may start a poll after this one to resolve the bill of rights amendment threshold issue after this one, since the issue hadn't come up when this was started.

Namyeknom:
How many attempts have their been to change to Bill of Rights? Successful or not.
One unsuccessful one in 2008? Didn't get as far as actually proposing a change though, I don't think.

There have actually been two amendments that passed, but due to changes in labeling. The first was the need to update all of our legal documents when the NSUN gave way to the World Assembly, and the second was when "impeachment" was changed to "recall."

I'd even support a provision barring any amendments to the Bill of Rights, but as these two technical amendments show, there may be factors that have to be adjusted and it would be difficult to even enunciate some language to make any amendments unnecessary. So that's how I settled on three-fourths.

Back