Manumission Day

Because seven years ago, Pixiedance resigned from the United Nations and our people escaped dictatorship to be free again!

For months and months Pixiedance had enforced unfree regimes upon us; The North Pacific Directorate forms and The North Pacific Government. On may 26th, we were freed!

When Pixiedance and Insane Legends, the two most endorsed nations in TNP at the time, resigned from the UN we saw a most exciting day. Could some who witnessed it tell us the tale?

Okay, so basically.

Cathyy was once somehow elected delegate of the North Pacific, and her nation was Pixiedance. She was one in a long line of poor delegate choices on TNP's part, and quickly became disliked and disrespected by all. Over time the situation between Cathy and others in the region (particularly the pro-ADN base) deteriorated. Being a vapid ignoramus Cathy spazzed out and gave Pixiedance to Ivan Moldavi - perhaps you've heard of him? Anyhow Ivan dissolved the Constitution and instituted the North Pacific Directorate featuring an unelected delegate, totalitarian bannings, and all that fun stuff.

The NPD lasted a few months then Ivan got bored. He gave the nation back to Cathy, who then gave it to her boyf Insane Power/Insane Legends. IP was a dumbass and did stupid stuff and eventually IP resigned Pixiedance from the WA, and Cathy resigned Insane Legends (which was traded to her in exchange for Pixiedance) as well.

Then there was a mad bumrush for power in the North Pacific. There were two points - Thel d'Ran and Lungwallabad. Certain forces within the ADN despised Thel d'Ran and opted to support Lungwallabad instead - who was also secretly known as Ballotonia IIRC (someone should confirm). Lung became delegate and handed the seat over to Stars of Sky, who was Pope Hope and Unistrut. PH and Unistrut let a democratic convention proceed, where Freedom and Pride (Fap) helped draft a terrible constitution that remained in effect until late 2007. Now we have a slightly less terrible constitution and to this day the region lacks the willpower to make any serious reforms. Therefore we celebrate Manumission Day and stick our heads in the sand for yet another year.

Yay!

It was one of my first days in TNP, so I don't remember much, but it was exciting. For a text-based game, I was surprised at how well emotions and feelings could be conveyed. The excitement of being free, the confusion about what was going on, and the uncertainty of what would happen next.

Mostly I remember the Convention that followed. Being new I didn't know (and still don't) know what the feelings of earlier TNP natives was of the Stars of Sky initiated Convention. However, I found it extremely exciting and a great demonstration of democracy in action.

That day was probably the factor that convinced me to keep playing NS.

John Ashcroft Land:
Okay, so basically.

Cathyy was once somehow elected delegate of the North Pacific, and her nation was Pixiedance. She was one in a long line of poor delegate choices on TNP's part, and quickly became disliked and disrespected by all. Over time the situation between Cathy and others in the region (particularly the pro-ADN base) deteriorated. Being a vapid ignoramus Cathy spazzed out and gave Pixiedance to Ivan Moldavi - perhaps you've heard of him? Anyhow Ivan dissolved the Constitution and instituted the North Pacific Directorate featuring an unelected delegate, totalitarian bannings, and all that fun stuff.

The NPD lasted a few months then Ivan got bored. He gave the nation back to Cathy, who then gave it to her boyf Insane Power/Insane Legends. IP was a dumbass and did stupid stuff and eventually IP resigned Pixiedance from the WA, and Cathy resigned Insane Legends (which was traded to her in exchange for Pixiedance) as well.

Then there was a mad bumrush for power in the North Pacific. There were two points - Thel d'Ran and Lungwallabad. Certain forces within the ADN despised Thel d'Ran and opted to support Lungwallabad instead - who was also secretly known as Ballotonia IIRC (someone should confirm). Lung became delegate and handed the seat over to Stars of Sky, who was Pope Hope and Unistrut. PH and Unistrut let a democratic convention proceed, where Freedom and Power (Fap) helped draft a terrible constitution that remained in effect until late 2007. Now we have a slightly less terrible constitution and to this day the region lacks the willpower to make any serious reforms. Therefore we celebrate Manumission Day and stick our heads in the sand for yet another year.

Yay!
That's the first I've heard of Lung being Ballo. Seems extremely unlikely to me. From what I know, Lungwallabad was a long-time native endorsement gatherer, much like Groovistan today.

I stayed up to watch those events and in fact supported SoS at the time, a fact that later earned me nothing when I attempted to join the reforming TNP Government a short time later only to be denied for "being a raider".

I think the best moment had to have been after Insane Power/Pixiedance resigned from the UN and moved out of the region. SoS moved in only to be banned by IP. What followed was pure and awesome chaos.

Also, JAL, was Freedom and Power also known as Freedom & Pride of TWP? If so...did we seriously allow that guy to write even one sentence of the Constitution? O_o

I came into NS literally about a week before the Pixiedance reign of terror began.
First thing they did was to abandon Old Blue unilaterally, and then blocked many "natives" of the region from even being able to follow the forced migration. At the time, a group within TNP has already begun working on a revision of the original Constitution written by Blackshear, and a stroke of luck preserved the work of that group. Many migrated back to Old Blue, and the democratic underground was founded there, led by Tresville. There is just too much to summarized to do it any justice, but the democratic underground adopted a constitution, held elections, and began the chain of constitutional government that continued to this day.
There were three groups involved with the Constitutional Convention: the successors to the North Pacific Directorate/North Pacific Givernment, the regional assembly originally founded by that regime, which went its own way, and the democratic underground, which then adopted the name of "The North Pacific Confederation." The Order of Gryphons came into the convention to help maintain order and help provide the stability needed to work out a constitution, hold perhaps for the only time a multi-forum referendum on the Constitution, adopt a home for the region (the regional majority chose to return to Old Blue), and organize elections under that Constitution.
During the period leading up to the Convention, there were off and on negotiations between the NPG/NPD and the NPC, but there was very little agreement; they are most notable historically for the publication of the first version of the Bill of Rights which the NPC proposed as part of a package to seek a middle ground to settle the conflict.
I was there and witnessed all of it, and it is the origin for many of us for both stability and democracy in TNP. It's hard to believe it has been seven years, as it means I'm halfway through my eighth year in NS!

BW, the NPC constitution was the product of a workgroup led by Hersfold that actually had started before the Pixiedance dictatorship was declared by Cathyy and Ivan. I'm not aware that Freedom and Pride played any role then, or during the Constitutional Convention in either document as finally drafted. I am aware that at least three of us presented full drafts at the convention, and the final document was a negotiated compromise between two of the three factions.

Eluvatar:
That's the first I've heard of Lung being Ballo. Seems extremely unlikely to me. From what I know, Lungwallabad was a long-time native endorsement gatherer, much like Groovistan today.

lol if you believe that :P

Blue Wolf II:
I stayed up to watch those events and in fact supported SoS at the time, a fact that later earned me nothing when I attempted to join the reforming TNP Government a short time later only to be denied for "being a raider".

I think the best moment had to have been after Insane Power/Pixiedance resigned from the UN and moved out of the region. SoS moved in only to be banned by IP. What followed was pure and awesome chaos.

Also, JAL, was Freedom and Power also known as Freedom & Pride of TWP? If so...did we seriously allow that guy to write even one sentence of the Constitution? O_o

Yeah, Freedom and Pride I mean. He wasn't actually the main person writing it but he helped. Fap (F&P) was active on the NPC ConCom forums.

He proposed some of the worst laws ever in TWP, basically if there was anything he personally didn't like he tried to get a law passed against it "for the good of the region" which usually would have done more harm than good. Luckily, almost none of his laws were ever passed, especially the infamous "Sunshine Act".

It is interesting from the perspective of someone who arrived after all these events and who will never fully appreciate the full impact they had, how much they still resonate in TNP. I remember the almost rabid distrust exhibited by some quarters when I first arrived.

It is a testament to NS (and its players) that within its very simple ruleset, there is the scope for such emotional events that change what is a game for most into something more.

I find it hard to decide if I consider myself unfortunate not to have been involved at such a pivotal time, or lucky not to have been. Wounds heal, but the scars a permanent reminder.

----

Perhaps while remembering the past, it is worth looking to the present and the future, and reminding ourselves that despite our occasional simmering differences now, things could be a lot worse.

It was thoroughly engaging. Ivan was a masterful player who took the role of despot to new lows. Polts as his wingman wrote the book on trolling(!!) And Insane Power - exactly what it says on the tin - was a manipulator without bounds who kept a black book on everyone. Yes, we had some villains.

We also had an unsung hero. SOB as James2spooky. In the darkest days of Pixiedance rule, James almost single-handedly kept the OOC alive, spamming his heart out and raising all our spirits. So I would like to extend a heartfelt, though long-overdue thank you to SOB.

Lungwallabad was a longtime endo swapper. Thinking back I really can't make the timeline fit between how long I remember seeing him in TNP and the various UN nations I know Ballotonia had during that period, so yeah, I'm really not seeing a plausible connection. Stars of Sky chatted up people all over NS during that time and a lot of nations in TNP, so I don't think there's anything weird in Lungwallabad stepping aside for her when asked to.

Edit: Anyone remember how Moldavi would keep banning more and more words on the NPD forum? We spent a lot of time coming up with ways to circumvent the wordfilters there heh.

Blue Wolf II:
Did TNP even exist as a Feeder or even at all then?
Actually, IIRC, it didn't. I'll have to hook up my old box from that time to dig out the browser logs and other files to see exactly who was the first delegate. ANything before UPS rail is bordering on NS Pre-History.

@ GBM - Ivan was a hoot. He actually lives about an hour or so away from me.

The NS wiki page for TNP I believe had a list of TNP Delegates. There may be a way to check the regional RSS feed at NS, but I'm not sure if that can be done or not.

Twoslit was probably the North Pacific's best delegate ever, in all seriousness. History has been hard on Two because of his time as root admin - which of course resulted in us relocating forums here - but he was a major player in organizing the community as it exists today and he gave the region direction. Direction is what the North Pacific lacks today, in my opinion.

Grosseschnauzer:
The NS wiki page for TNP I believe had a list of TNP Delegates. There may be a way to check the regional RSS feed at NS, but I'm not sure if that can be done or not.
Actually, you can get at the logs of NS if you know how to do it, but it would be more ethical to simply ask a game mod or one of the code monkeys to look it up.

I could hook up my old computer from that time and take a look to see that far back in NS history (I stored all the history and logs, including browser caches for some odd reason).

You know, that would be interesting. I had about four nations before Novare Res that I used as main nations. I could tell you their names but I'd have to kill you. :lol:

Back