Legislative Agenda for Constitutional Reform

Gulliver

TNPer
I have promised to abuse my overly broad powers as Speaker to push through sorely needed constitutional reform. I am a man of my word, and now that I'm beginning to sober up from post-graduation celebration, I intend to make good on that promise.

Starting now, members of the Regional Assembly may begin formally proposing, discussing, and revising proposals for an initial draft of a new Constitution. A vote to pick one will be held from the 28th of May to the 4th of June. Since consensus is vital, I will likely use a Condorcet vote on if there are more than two proposals.*

The selected draft will be used as a starting point. Members may propose revisions. Revisions which have obvious broad support or are minor tweaks of things like grammar or spelling will be included promptly. If it is unclear what the Assembly’s opinion is, I will open a poll on the matter and make a decision within one week based on the results. Revisions which are non-germane or already settled will not be included.

If at any point people cease to put forward additional revisions and I feel that a final proposal has been settled upon, or 8 weeks have passed since we began, I will move it to a vote. If it passes, then we’ve succeeded. Else I’ll scrap everything and start fresh.

Outside the scope of the Constitution, I will likely adopt a similar procedure for reforming the legal code, but instead starting from Eluvatar’s comprehensive reform already in the works and on a much shorter timetable. Fine tuning reforms of the legal code afterwards is a much simpler matter.

As a final note, if this preliminary plan is unacceptable and causes angry mobs to flood into the streets, lusting for my blood, then it can be adjusted as necessary on the fly.

*For those who don't want to parse the technical mumbo jumbo, it means I'll find the proposal which is preferred by a majority to every possible alternative when compared one-on-one, the strongest possible measure of majority consensus.

Namyeknom:
I just googled it and I'm still not sure I do.

Legi Agenda = much goodness
In the States, candidates for president are often required to conclude their advertisements with a message in their voice saying something like, "I'm Ron Paul and I approve this message."

Back