Campaign for Delegate

Haor Chall

The Power of the Dark Side
TNP Nation
Haor Chall
So. It has come to this.

Where to start?

Well, firstly why I am running for Delegate? Because elections provide an important opportunity for views on the direction of the region to be aired, debated and ultimately decided. This doesn’t seem to have happened for sometime, as recent election cycles seem to have been empty of any substantive discussion.

And this is the part of the problem I am seeking to address. Our inactivity here in The North Pacific is not simply due to the failures of our constitution and our laws, though they sorely need reform. It is also because the region is sailing rudderless, without direction, without vision, without purpose.

Nonetheless, Constitutional reform must be a priority in the new term. But it must, and will, be done in accordance with the long held principles and ideals upon which the successive governments in TNP have been built. I am a firm believer in the centrality of democratic government, openness and fairness to a strong and successful TNP. We can make it work, but it will need all of us.

And so to the future. Reform is not enough. The North Pacific is a feeder. We have almost boundless opportunity and the natural resources to achieve far more than any userite region could. And yet, we do not make the most of it. Because we lack the direction to do so. I would like to see a policy direction that moves us into an active diplomatic and military presence beyond the boundaries of TNP. We should stand up for our ideals, unapologetically, unabashedly promote them.

I believe creating a strong military for TNP is essential and would build upon the work already started to strength the NPA into an effective fighting force. I would see us look beyond the faded glories of the defender/invader paradigm, I would have us create a TNP that is a force in its own right and on its own merits. We should deploy the NPA where it is in the interests of our region to do so, to protect our friends and allies and defeat those who oppose us.

Diplomatically, I will encourage closer relations with the other feeders. If elected, I will push for TNP to join the MPA as the main avenue for doing so. Others are already seeing success and if we can learn from them, work with them, we can only benefit. We should also be more rigorous in reviewing Embassys here and ours abroad, so that we are engaging with regions which we share some interests and build stronger diplomatic relations with them.

On the domestic front, I will seek to build a recruitment and welcoming team to encourage new players onto the forum and to be involved within the region. Once we have the ship righted and sailing on her new course, we will be in a strong position to recruit and retain new members in our community. This is essential for the strength and prosperity of the region and to keep the community here active and open. I have no comment on the Church of Flemingovia, except to say that the government of TNP, in the interests of representing all the people, should be secular but as a community we should welcome and include those of all faiths.

I will appoint minsters to work on defence and foreign affairs as soon as I am in office. My intention will be to also appoint a minster to run and organise the recruitment plan mentioned above and to appoint Grosseschnauzer as Minster of Cheese.

One final point, and this is a serious point, nothing – not reform, not rebuilding, not activity – can be done by one man alone. If we want to remake TNP into a shining city on the hill, we can do, the potential is here. But it will take all of us. All of us working together, constructively as best we can, to make it happen. I say this so that you understand, please if you share my vision for TNP and want to help make it happen, then vote for me.

But I only want you to vote for me if you are willing to do you part and get involved to make it happen. A vote for Haor Chall should be a vote for you to help in the building of a new and brighter TNP, if you are willing then join me in making it happen.

On that note, I open this up for questions.

OOC: Final little note from me, I off in the wet, cold and mud from tonight through Sunday, so will be without internet access for the duration. I will be back as normal on Monday.

:clap: HC, it's about time you took a turn in the big seat.

I found myself smiling and nodding in agreement with the points you made. A recruitment team is an important and positive step. What would be your thoughts on re-establishing a ministry of arts and entertainment?

I completely agree with GBM, I was nodding the whole time I was reading. I'm glad you plan to continue the NPA. I like your plans to rebuild the sense of community, and your plans to work as a team with many contributing members to rebuild/improve the region. Best of luck.

Haor Chall:
OOC: Final little note from me, I off in the wet, cold and mud from tonight through Sunday, so will be without internet access for the duration. I will be back as normal on Monday.
Ah, proof of your reforming style!

Most TNP delegates disappear after they've been elected not before.

My intention will be to also appoint a minster to run and organise the recruitment plan mentioned above and to appoint Grosseschnauzer as Minster ofCheese.

I must have missed that one the first time around :D :lol: :w00t:

I will push for TNP to join the MPA as the main avenue for doing so.

Sorry, could you explain what the MPA is and what advantages you think we'd gain from joining? I believe it to be one of these modern beat combo alliances, but I'm unfamiliar with it. And I am too lazy to look it up.

Great Bights Mum:
:clap: HC, it's about time you took a turn in the big seat.

I found myself smiling and nodding in agreement with the points you made. A recruitment team is an important and positive step. What would be your thoughts on re-establishing a ministry of arts and entertainment?
Thanks GBM :)

Regarding the MoAE, I like the general concept but I'd want to think through whether a Minister/Ministry is the right way of going about it. I think some kind of more informal forum body might be more appropriate but at the present time I suppose that might require a new law in which case the Ministry route might be easier.

But yes, it's definately something we should look at doing one way or another.

mcmasterdonia:
I completely agree with GBM, I was nodding the whole time I was reading. I'm glad you plan to continue the NPA. I like your plans to rebuild the sense of community, and your plans to work as a team with many contributing members to rebuild/improve the region. Best of luck.

Many thanks. Yes, I think a successful NPA is a vital part of how we reinvigorate the region.

Namyeknom:
Ah, proof of your reforming style!

Most TNP delegates disappear after they've been elected not before.

Yeah, I thought if I got it out of the way now I'd stand a better chance of being elected. :P

Also, Nam, the MPA is the Modern Pacific Alliance. The text of the agreement is on the South Pacific forums here. The MPA forums are here. The MPA is a fairly broad strokes agreement at one level, but one of the features of the MPA which I quite like is the option for "Pacts" which are agreements on specific things (currently the only one is the press one, but there could be one on say recruiting rules or a closer military relationship, etc) but are only binding on the regions which take part in them, so we could opt out or in of the pacts which align with our views and interests.

There are those of us of the Flemingovian faith who feel that the demolition of our Temple and its rebuilding in the “role play” section of Port Thel was a deliberate insult to our sincerely held faith. Without commenting on that particular action, where on the forum do you feel a Temple would be appropriate?

flemingovia:
There are those of us of the Flemingovian faith who feel that the demolition of our Temple and its rebuilding in the “role play” section of Port Thel was a deliberate insult to our sincerely held faith. Without commenting on that particular action, where on the forum do you feel a Temple would be appropriate?
Your worshipfulness, firstly a question for you - how does one properly address a deity? I'm not quite sure.

Anyway, your holiness, in answer to you question within the current layout of the forum I would have said that it was currently in the most appropriate and fairest place. It's a little difficult to answer as both the question and its answer sort of break the fourth wall, so to speak.

As I mentioned in my initial statement, I believe the government must be secular in the interests of representing all the people - as such it would be inappropriate for the temple to be built within Magicality City which - in terms of the forum - is solely the location of the government.

I would, however, imagine that Port Thel is on the outskirts of Magicality City and whilst not within the central "old" city, is probably within the greater metropolitan area of Magicality City. So to all intents and purposes I believe that your temple is physically located within the Greater Magicality City area. Much like how Athens has now enveloped the port town of Piraeus, so it is with Magicalilty City and Port Thel. So your temple can still be the Acropolis of TNP whilst not being within the "city centre" of Magicality City.

Govindia:
What would you do differently from Blue Wolf, if anything?
Govinda, I hope this question isn't being asked simply out of your animus towards BW. In answer, I think the vision I have set out clearly highlights the differences there will be and I'm not really interested in scoring cheap political points, so all I will add is to reiterate that as Delegate I will be active, involved and open in the manner in which I have already laid out.

If you have a more constructive question ask away and I will happily give you a more complete answer.

Romanoffia was asked what qualities/experience he has that means he should be elected Delegate instead of you. Seeing as we have read his response to that question, I would like to ask you the same.

One more question: Why should voters vote for you For Delegate instead of Romanoffia?

I had a feeling this question was coming. :P To be honest, it’s an incredibly difficult question for me to answer. Nevertheless, here we go:

You know, can I start by saying that Romanoffia is someone I greatly respect. And as I think you already are aware, on the issues we are both share similar views. Also, I think we both bring an outside the box approach to thinking and a willingness to consider new ideas and new solutions.

On experience, again depending on your perspective, we sit in a fairly similar place. Our domestic experiences are largely similar, though my experience outside TNP is far greater. I think that slightly broader range of experiences, and interactions across NS, gives me a better perspective on both what works and what doesn’t and the realities of interacting across many regional boundaries.

For those who don’t know me so well, I’ll quickly run through my prior experiences in NS. I have served in TNP in a number of Ministry positions over the years – most frequently as Minister for External Affairs. I have also served as an Associate Justice and for a term as Chief Justice (notably, I think the only time in TNP a trial was ever actually completed – though that really only means it was the least worst clusterfuck in judicial history) and I also served a term as Vice Delegate. Outside of TNP my involvement has been within the other feeders, with the exception of some time spent as a Senator of The New Meritocracy. In TWP I was a member of the Senate, served as a Court Justice and also served as First Minister, as well as being the editor-in-chief of the Senate Star and then Western Express newspapers.* I was a member of the Magisterim in TEP for a time too, although I was only really active in TEP for the roleplay side rather than the government. I have also been a long time member of The Pacific, second in length of time only to TNP. I have been a Provincial Governor and Senator in The Pacific.

People should vote for me for Delegate because I bring with me a genuinely new approach and new ideas on how we should progress our region. But also part of that is a willingness to listen as much as talk, to take onboard the ideas of others and work with the whole community to advance things for the better. The Delegate must lead, but the Delegate should delegate too. What that really means in a practical sense is empowering the community and providing opportunity and experience for those who want it. My plan does that.

Finally, as I said in my campaign speech, you should vote for me if you want to be part of something greater. You should vote for me if you want to work with me to rebuild TNP. You should NOT vote for me if you are expecting to cast a vote and not be involved in fixing our region. This isn’t about me, this isn’t even really about you. It is about us – us as a region, as a community, as The North Pacific working together to move beyond the horizons we see now and into a new chapter which we can write together.

*An Edit: Incidentally, that little trip down memory lane made me think that one of things I will definately do is to create/write for a TNP newspaper.

Finally, as I said in my campaign speech, you should vote for me if you want to be part of something greater. You should vote for me if you want to work with me to rebuild TNP. You should NOT vote for me if you are expecting to cast a vote and not be involved in fixing our region. This isn’t about me, this isn’t even really about you. It is about us – us as a region, as a community, as The North Pacific working together to move beyond the horizons we see now and into a new chapter which we can write together.

I picked out that section as it really stood out. Your whole response was very moving, and it is clear that you are a very able candidate for Delegate. You have true vision and plans for TNP. You, Romanoffia and Eluvatar are very similar in the sense that you all have both experience and vision as progressive thinkers. For me personally, Its cetainly not getting any easier to decide.

Best of Luck.

Haor Chall:
Govindia:
Govinda, I hope this question isn't being asked simply out of your animus towards BW. In answer, I think the vision I have set out clearly highlights the differences there will be and I'm not really interested in scoring cheap political points, so all I will add is to reiterate that as Delegate I will be active, involved and open in the manner in which I have already laid out.

If you have a more constructive question ask away and I will happily give you a more complete answer.
Basically, regardless of delegate, the question was structured mainly along the lines of "What would you do differently from what the current delegate is doing?" - I have asked this before to earlier delegate candidates regardless of who is in power.

Govindia:
Haor Chall:
Govindia:

Basically, regardless of delegate, the question was structured mainly along the lines of "What would you do differently from what the current delegate is doing?" - I have asked this before to earlier delegate candidates regardless of who is in power.
Okay, in that case, I think I've answered your question.

Since reform is a big topic for all three candidates, I'll ask you the same question as I've been asking to the others,

I've posted my idea about possibly a non-fixed elected legislature and probably more innovative, off-site voting between non-forum regional residents; is this something you'd be willing to consider running a test referendum with and entertain as a possible direction for the future constitution?

Hi Uni, it's certainly an innovative idea. I haven't had much chance to look in depth at your proposals as I've had a busy week - the campaign schedule has had me flying all around the region - but I think it's certainly worthy of consideration.

I like the idea of the referenda, I also think it might help get people interested and therefore move onto the forum; though my biggest concern with it would be security/preventing outside groups from skewing the results. But if it could be made to work then that would be great. I'd certainly be interested in getting a test referendum launched to see what kind of up take there was on it.

I think a large concerted effort would make ripples across the world of intelligence, but there would have to be a cut-off date, when a list of citizens is copy and pasted.

unibot:
I think a large concerted effort would make ripples across the world of intelligence, but there would have to be a cut-off date, when a list of citizens is copy and pasted.
Sure, that may be the case. I'm not saying the idea is unworkable - but I'm not going to say your idea is perfect just to try and chase your vote. ;) As I say, it's an innovative idea, and I like the ideal of it, but I think there are serious practical obstacles which will need to be overcome. It’s certainly work trying it out though.

Back