Hileville for Chief Justice

Hileville

TNPer
TNP Nation
Hileville
Discord
Dennrick#0489
I have decided to run for Chief Justice and this is the thread you can use to ask me questions. I am not one who typically posts a large campaign platform I will however make a few points and give you some background information.

Background
I have been playing NS now for 11 months. Previous to this period I had a nation before a while back but never got involved in regional government. During this 11 months I have served a variety of positions across NS including Chairman of the Assembly in The South Pacific and now Delegate of the South Pacific. I also currently serve as Lawspeaker of Balder and Great Kenbet Justice of Osiris in which I previously served as Attorney General there. I have real life legal experience as I worked for 2 years as a legal assistant. That is enough background info for now.

Campaign Statement
I believe that TNP's legal system needs a Chief Justice who is dedicated to bringing respect to the Court. I believe that Grimalkin was trying to do just that. However he was met with opposition and people constantly making fun of the Court and talking about how bad it is when truthfully some were partly responsible for the Court being in the state it was. I believe that I can achieve what would be my goal in making the Court a place that is respected by all members of The North Pacific.

I am not going to comment on current trials or decisions by the court in this thread but will answer any questions you may have about them. I hope to have your support for Chief Justice.

Thank You.

It seems as though you have a distinguished nationstates career, delegate, lawspeaker etc, and are involved in lots of different regions. You are undoubtedly, well qualified. I have one question for you, do you feel you will have the spare time and effort required to be Chief Justice?

mcmasterdonia:
It seems as though you have a distinguished nationstates career, delegate, lawspeaker etc, and are involved in lots of different regions. You are undoubtedly, well qualified. I have one question for you, do you feel you will have the spare time and effort required to be Chief Justice?
Yes I do believe that I will be able to dedicated the amount of time and effort needed to be Chief Justice. I honestly would not have decided to run if I felt I did not have the time needed for this position.

I believe that TNP's legal system needs a Chief Justice who is dedicated to bringing respect to the Court. I believe that Grimalkin was trying to do just that. However he was met with opposition and people constantly making fun of the Court and talking about how bad it is when truthfully some were partly responsible for the Court being in the state it was. I believe that I can achieve what would be my goal in making the Court a place that is respected by all members of The North Pacific

I am not keen on vague accusations or promises.

When you say "truthfully some were partly responsible for the Court being in the state it was", who and what do you mean?

You say " I believe that I can achieve what would be my goal in making the Court a place that is respected by all members of The North Pacific". Yet you give no specific ideas or policies. What would you do differently from Grimalkin to achieve that aim?

how would you feel about bringing the TNP IRC channels #tnp and #thenorthpacific under TNP law to protect against any possible misbehaviour or trolling?

flemingovia:
I believe that TNP's legal system needs a Chief Justice who is dedicated to bringing respect to the Court. I believe that Grimalkin was trying to do just that. However he was met with opposition and people constantly making fun of the Court and talking about how bad it is when truthfully some were partly responsible for the Court being in the state it was. I believe that I can achieve what would be my goal in making the Court a place that is respected by all members of The North Pacific

I am not keen on vague accusations or promises.

When you say "truthfully some were partly responsible for the Court being in the state it was", who and what do you mean?

You say " I believe that I can achieve what would be my goal in making the Court a place that is respected by all members of The North Pacific". Yet you give no specific ideas or policies. What would you do differently from Grimalkin to achieve that aim?
There are a lot of people who say things about the court system here in TNP and have no desire to try and fix it. Therefore it is my belief that if you talk bad about something but don't try and repair it whether it be through legislation or running for office then you are a part of the problem. I should have been a little more clear on what I meant there.

I believe Grimalkin tried to make the best out of the cards he was dealt while Chief Justice. I think a little more patience would have gone a long way. I also will need to review in depth some of the decisions made by him in regards to the TNP v. JAL trial if elected. I am not going to say specifically what decisions I am thinking of as it would not benefit me to release that information before a review can be done if elected. I will say that when a deadline is set by the Court that deadline needs to be followed. When you give someone a certain amount of time and then decide part through that the time you gave was too much and change it the court looks bad.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. I will go into more detail on what I would do to make the court respected by the members of TNP tomorrow after I have slept.

Govindia:
how would you feel about bringing the TNP IRC channels #tnp and #thenorthpacific under TNP law to protect against any possible misbehaviour or trolling?
It depends on how it would be legislated. I don't really care for legislating the administration of forums or rules for IRC channels as it makes it harder for admins/ops to do the job they need to do.

I would support having the option to appeal a ban on IRC to the court though.

Eluvatar:
What makes you the best candidate?
I don't know if I would say I am the best candidate. I will say that I am active in this region along with others. I have experience in both RL and NS working in judicial systems. I believe I can bring respect back to the court system and repair its reputation with the region.

Eluvatar:
What causes disrespect to the court?
I believe that what has caused disrespect to this court is a case that was handled improperly by all parties involved. We had a court that pretty much completely disappeared and to my knowledge nobody tried to fix it. The time frame change that occurred in the most recent TNP v. JAL case also makes people lose respect for the court. When people make threads mocking the court that doesn't help either even though it may be funny.

EDIT: I also find that when something doesn't go someones way they may have disrespect for the court. The difference in that though is some will speak badly and some won't.

How qualified do you think you are to make a fair, and impartial ruling on any case, and are you willing to recuse yourself and appoint a temporary hearing officer in your stead if there is a conflict of interest?

Eluvatar:
Do you believe trial by ordeal is a violation of The North Pacific Bill of Rights?
Yes it would be in violation of Clause 7 of the Bill of Rights. I also don't see how this would be possible on NS.

Govindia:
How qualified do you think you are to make a fair, and impartial ruling on any case, and are you willing to recuse yourself and appoint a temporary hearing officer in your stead if there is a conflict of interest?
I believe I am very qualified to make fair and impartial rulings on cases. If a conflict of interest exists I would gladly appoint another Justice to hear the case.

Back