Syber's coming to America!

syber rad

TNPer
Hey everyone!

So I'm coming to the US in a month and have a very rough itinerary in mind. I don't really want to lock too much down, but need some advice regarding which areas in certain cities I should be trying to stay in. At the moment I'm thinking of spending time in San Fran, San Diego, Vegas, Utah (gonna go bug Poeser for a day or two), New Orleans and NYC. I'd love to hit DC, Boston or drive down the pacific coast, but I don't think I'll have time this trip.

Anyway. Does anyone have any advice on which districts/areas are worth staying in for those cities? I'm keen for any sort of activity, whether its rad bars and nightlife or museums or whatevs. There's going to be a fair bit of debauchery next month, but I'm also keen to geek out on museums and art.

I live in San Diego, and I can help show you around lots of places here depending on when you plan to arrive.

Good to see you btw. How have you been?

San Diego might be a bit of a whirlwind for me, I'm really just there for the zoo...

I'm super keen for National Parks! I dunno what the plan for Utah is yet, it really depends on timeframes, but I want to see dinosaur bones and amazing scenery. Also bison. I dunno if Utah is the place, but I need to see a wild bison herd at some point.

syber rad:
San Diego might be a bit of a whirlwind for me, I'm really just there for the zoo...

I'm super keen for National Parks! I dunno what the plan for Utah is yet, it really depends on timeframes, but I want to see dinosaur bones and amazing scenery. Also bison. I dunno if Utah is the place, but I need to see a wild bison herd at some point.
San Diego has really good museums and they are all really close to the Museum in one area :) It's relatively easy to find and I'd be glad to play Tour Guide if you want :)

Beware. The American colonies are a strange place. All their generals have to row across a river. Bison roam free and all the roads are very hilly and bumpy and have streetcars going up and down them. Everyone is either a maverick cop hiding a dark secret in his past, or a cynical hospital doctor. Everyone lives in enormous apartments. I do not know how they afford them, because they spend all their time sitting on a sofa in a coffee shop. Their children are unspeakably perky. Everyone in the northern states is called hank, and everyone in the south is called Bubba. The women all have hyphenated names, one for each breast. They call periods "menstruation" and full stops "periods", which can cause confusion. A fanny isn't what you think it is.

Finding America can be difficult. I think the best way is to locate Mexico and trace upwards with your finger. Be careful of Rhode Island. It is easy to trip over it.

Americans cannot spell "colour". They say "have a nice day" with their lips, but not with their eyes. Their king was once called George, but now he is called Elvis.

To be US president you traditionally have to have been born in Virginia. Obama was born in HAwaii, but many Americans believe he was really born in Virginia.

All Americans drink Tea. They prefer it very very weak and salty. The best tea is served in Boston, where it is the party drink of preference.

Some states are nested inside other states, like the Russian dolls. is why you can find Delaware in Arkansas, California in Maryland, Oregon in Wisconsin, Wyoming in Ohio, Indiana in Pennsylvania, Nevada and Louisiana in Missouri, Kansas in Oklahoma and Michigan in North Dakota. This makes travel very confusing, so allow extra time, especially in Connecticut, as itis nearly impossible to finish spelling the state name.

Do not eat the food.

America is a strange place. Better stay at home

:rofl:

Full stops and fanny packs could get my into trouble... I shall do my best to document this strange and dangerous land. Preferably from the back of a bison with a maverick cop sidekick.

syber rad:

Probably not many bison in Utah, but the scenery is incredible. Southern Utah is one of the most scenic places in the world IMO. If you want to see bison head about 4-5 hours north to Yellowstone. Yellowstone's got the only wild bison herds in North America. But personally I prefer the Utah parks even if they are less famous.

Actually, Yellowstone will still be snowpacked and closed to the public in a month, so don't go there. As you go north of Salt Lake into Idaho and Montana, the winters get very very long. Perfect time of year in the Utah parks though.

John Ashcroft Land:
Probably not many bison in Utah, but the scenery is incredible. Southern Utah is one of the most scenic places in the world IMO. If you want to see bison head about 4-5 hours north to Yellowstone. Yellowstone's got the only wild bison herds in North America. But personally I prefer the Utah parks even if they are less famous.
:agree:
This guy, this freaking guy. Zion NP is my heaven on earth. :D

DC has some very nice buildings. Only trouble is that it is full of Americans. Solve that problem and it would be perfect.

flemingovia:
DC has some very nice buildings. Only trouble is that it is full of Americans. Solve that problem and it would be perfect.
It's filled with a lot more multi-nationals than you'd think.

Back