Role of Speaker Pro Tempore in Law 28 Matters on Registration and Membership

In a ruling by the Court in response to a request from the Attorney General, made at my request as the current Speaker Pro Tempore, Chief Justice Grimalkin has posted a response, which in pertinent part says:
Given that the relevant portion of TNP Law 28 deals specifically with the RA and was passed by the RA, does this count as the RA setting its own procedures? Yes, with the unfortunate side effect that it must be repealed in order to be changed.

However, given the intent behind TNP Law 28, this court rules that the Speaker Pro Tempore may be invested with the normal duties of the Speaker of the Assembly in accordance with TNP Law 28 and RA procedure.

In view of certain time requirements under both Law 28 and Rule 2, and noting that much of the Speaker's duties under both provisions could best be described as "normal," I plan to take steps to update the list of R.A. members in the format being used by the current Speaker in the Registration and Membership area, and to process pending applications if the Speaker has not done so by tomorrow.

If the update of the roster finds members who have either not posted within the last 30 days, or whose current TNP nation has left the region or ceased to exist, I will post a special notice in the R.A. area to that effect first so that either the affected members, or other R.A. members, can be heard before deciding whether to proceed.

I will approach pending legislation and on motions to proceed on such proposals on a case-by-case basis, if the Speaker is still absent but at the moment I am not aware of any proposal that is ready for a formal discussion or for a vote. Just post any such motions in the appropriate thread.

Back