-
-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
The Attorney General would like the Court to enjoin against this illegal dropping of charges.

The Attorney General's office invokes TNP Law 31 section 3 clause 3:
TNP Law 31:
3) Consistent with paragraph 4 of Section 2 of Article IV of the Constitution, the Attorney General may request a presiding judicial officer to issue an emergency order enjoining an actual or intended Executive action pending prompt further proceedings before the Court. A majority of the three-member panel of the Court may thereafter temporarily enjoin an actual or intended Executive action pending final disposition of the matter either by the Court, or otherwise by an expedited vote of the Regional Assembly within parameters proposed in the request by the Attorney General as set by a Court order under such terms as deemed appropriate under Clause 11 of the Bill of Rights.

Constitution Article IV Section 2:
4. At the request of either (a) any four members of the Regional Assembly who do not currently hold the elected offices of Vice Delegate or as a Justice of the Court, or (b) of the Speaker, or an Assembly member then acting as the presiding officer of the Assembly in the absence of the Speaker, a presiding judicial officer may issue an emergency order enjoining an actual or intended Executive action pending prompt further proceedings before the Court. A majority of the three-member panel of the Court may thereafter temporarily enjoin an actual or intended Executive action pending final disposition of the matter either by the Court, or otherwise by an expedited vote of the Regional Assembly within parameters proposed in the request by the Speaker or members of the Regional Assembly as set by a Court order under such terms as deemed appropriate under Clause 11 of the Bill of Rights.

TNP Law 31 is quite clear that the power to prosecute (or not prosecute) belongs to the attorney general who filed charges. The Delegate has no power to override this:

TNP Law 31 Section 3:
2) It is the duty of the Attorney General to see to completion any proceeding they are prosecuting. If for any reason, should the original Attorney General be unable to complete a pending case, then the interim or elected successor Attorney General shall take over as prosecutor and complete the pending proceedings.

The Attorney General's office is prepared to submit a more detailed argument within 72 hours.

The Court hereby issues an emergency order, enjoining the Delegate's action of closing the court case TNP vs. JAL and of dropping the charges filed against the defendant.

The Court will hear arguments from both sides, beginning with the Plaintiff. Only permitted parties (the three-panel Court, the Plaintiff, the Defendant) may post here.

Apologies for not being clear. The defendant in this case would be Blue Wolf II because it is his actions that are under review. If you have been procured by the Delegate-elect as his lawyer, you may present your argument after the Plaintiff has presented his.

Voting has concluded and the Court has agreed to issue a preliminary injunction against the actions of the Delegate-elect in dropping the charges against JAL; however, the Court has also agreed to issue a stay preventing the continuation of the trial during this review. Effectively, the charges against JAL are re-instated.

May it please the court,

This region has long struggled to maintain its freedom. We have fought not one, not two, but five wars to keep it.

However, in our struggles to keep democracy and protect civil liberties, we have long neglected that key pillar of stability: the justice system. Not even once has a criminal been convicted in a trial; the closest we have seen was a twisted plea bargain which later fell apart.

The Delegate's call to simply drop charges against John Ashcroft Land is not simply illegal, it is a surrender. Here we have a nation which transgressed greatly against us. A nation which forcibly relocated thousands of our fellow residents to the Rejected Realms, against the wishes of the region. A nation which undermined a democratic election with vile calumny to seize power. A nation which admits all of this, without a shred of remorse. Can there be a clearer miscreant, without hitting the superior authorities of this forum responsible for decorum?

Are we, the legally organized democratically governed judiciary of this region to go quietly? To peter out with a whimper? To say that so long as your transgressions are against the region at large and not against its meeting-place, there is nothing any nation can do and face justice?

The Delegate's declaration impinges on the independence of the judiciary branches, as constituted under Law 31. The office of the Attorney General was clearly established with the purpose of removing the power of prosecution from the remit of the Delegate. It states quite clearly that any prosecution is to remain under the control of the Attorney General who began the case. The Delegate has no part in it.

The Delegate cannot charge any nation with a crime under this law. Nor does any law grant the Delegate the power to interfere with the prosecution in any way.

An Attorney General who abuses power is meant to be kept in check by the Court and the Regional Assembly, who can dismiss frivolous prosecutions and recall the Attorney General, respectively.

The Delegate is not a figurehead. The Delegate has unlimited authority over our diplomatic efforts, complete control over any military we might organize, and has traditionally exercised authority over the use of the open regional message board by representatives of other regions. The power to prosecute however, is firmly removed from their grasp by TNP Law 31.

The office of the Attorney General is not an executive one, under the Delegate's direction. TNP Law 31 establishes it as independent and TNP Law 26 identifies it as a judicial office, setting the election of the Attorney General as part of Judicial Elections:

TNP Law 26:
1. The election cycle for the 6-month terms of The Judiciary, including the Chief Justice, and the Attorney General, shall begin on the first day of the months of April and October.

This of course corresponds to the Constitution's clause on Judicial Elections:

Constitution Article I Section 3:
5. The members of the Judiciary (including the Chief Justice) shall each be elected to 6-month terms.

Therefore, the Delegate's executive authority simply does not apply.

Upholding the Delegate's action would be an extraordinary cession of Judicial power to the Executive. Upholding it would be a surrender to irrelevance of the Judiciary as a whole. If you uphold this, if we give up on prosecuting criminals and trying them, if we abandon this whole idea of a fair determination of guilt or innocence, then we might as well disband the court and formally replace it with the people's power to violently nullify ejections by the Delegate. A state of nature, one might call it.

I for one do not want affairs in the North Pacific to be nasty, brutish, and short. Please, stop this. Please, let us save our judiciary rather than abandon it.

The Attorney General awaits the response of the Delegate's counsel.

Here we have a nation which transgressed greatly against us. A nation which forcibly relocated thousands of our fellow residents to the Rejected Realms, against the wishes of the region. A nation which undermined a democratic election with vile calumny to seize power. A nation which admits all of this, without a shred of remorse. Can there be a clearer miscreant, without hitting the superior authorities of this forum responsible for decorum?

Objection, your honour. The prosecution is grandstanding, and JAL is not on trial in this place. His comments potentially prejudice procedings against JAL.

I move that these comments be struck from the record. Despite his neglect of his office, someone who has served as Attorney General twice ought to know better.

Perhaps the Attorney General would like another stab, and give us opening remarks rather than a speech more suited to a rally.

Objection sustained. Counselor, please keep your arguments based in realm of legality rather than present an emotional plea to the court.

Counselor, you state that the Delegate has no authority in judicial matters; however, we have seen precedence set wherein the Delegate has issued blanket pardons and amnesty to members of couping regimes, i.e. the Crimson Order, before trials had even started. Is it so unreasonable for that to stretch to this situation, especially given the lack of an Attorney General and Judicial bench?

My argument is focused on TNP Law 31 and parts of TNP Law 26 and the Constitution which have been changed to fit TNP Law 31.

In the summer of 2008 when the Crimson war concluded, there was no TNP Law 31 and no Attorney General. Of course these laws did not apply then-- they did not exist! At that time the Delegate indeed controlled the prosecuting arm of government, which was then part of the Executive.

Even so, doesn't the situation mirror? While we may now have TNP Law 31, there was no Judiciary and Attorney General at the time of the Delegate's action. Shouldn't the Delegate have the ability to act when there is an absence?

TNP Law 31 firmly establishes that the Attorney General who began a case continues to be responsible for it, regardless of whether or not they continue in office. That prosecutor was and is available.

In addition, TNP Law establishes for the Attorney General position to be filled by special election when vacated, not by the Delegate or their appointee.

TNP Law 31 removes that power, regardless of whether or not the position it creates happens to be occupied.

That prosecutor was and is available.

Objection, your honour. To say that the proscutor was "available" stretches the bounds of credulity. He was on walkabout for swathes of the latter part of the JAL trial, and made only one post in the trial thread in the entire month of January - and that post was to let the court know that he was still alive.

The inactivity of the prosecutor was one of the main reasons that the petition to the delegate was made, and one of the frustrations that the defence has felt is that the prosecution seems to have mastered the art of doing the minimum necessary to keep the trial treding water.

[bgcolor=#ee4a2d]Correction: he made two posts in the whole of January, one of which was to tell us he was still alive. Whoop di doop[/bgcolor]

The Attorney General's office must object.

Firstly, the Delegate's counselor misspeaks when he says the prosecutor posted but once in the month of January in the trial. There are two recorded posts by the prosecutor, on the fifteenth and the seventeenth.

Be that as it may, the Defense made its petition several days after those posts, on the twenty first. The justices, in the mean time, had all resigned or vanished. At that point the prosecution was definitively present.

Of course, according to records, no posts whatsoever were made in that trial between December 9th and December 28th. It would, actually, be factual to say that the counsel for the defense posted but once in the month of December. The trial was moving quite slowly.

Finally, at the time the Delegate made his determination on the 26th of January, the Prosecutor was quite clearly available. That is what the Attorney General's office referred to when it stated "That prosecutor was and is available." Any absences by either party, or the justice of the court, before that time is entirely irrelevant.

That's enough, counselors. It's time to move on. I'm giving my fellow justices 24 hours to pose any questions to the Plaintiff before the Defense presents its argument.

Your honour, I am sure that Blue Wolf will wish to speak on his own behalf. I speak tonight as one empowered to speak on his behalf, as one who precipitated this hearing by urging him to drop charges against JAL and perhaps more importantly as one who has been a part of this region since 2003 and who understands not only the words of the constitution but, perhaps more importantly, the intent behind it and in the thinking of those who drew up the current constitution and the others that came before it.

TNP’s constitution is a complex structure of checks and balances. It was designed, in the main, to prevent abuse of power by the delegate by limiting his powers in certain areas. As such it depends on two things: the first is the cooperation and goodwill of the delegate, the second is the power of high influence old guard nations to quickly rein in any delegate who over exceeds his authority: “going rogue” as we call it.

Now Eluvatar has presented the actions of the delegate on 26 January as a gross overstepping of his authority. Using his emotive language he has spoken of it as “surrender” and as “petering out” He has cited clauses of the constitution to support his argument.

However, It is our contention that this was not an abnormal action in a normal state of affairs. It was a necessary act in a very abnormal situation. Our entire judiciary had either resigned or gone AWOL. Eluvatar was, whatever his protestations, functionally inactive. He posted only often enough to keep the trial treading water without progressing. He was largely absent from the region, even neglecting his admin duties – to the frustration of Gross. The JAL trial had dragged on for six months, and had ground to a halt, to the embarrassment of the region.

In such a situation, action was necessary. Almost everyone seems to be of the opinion that “something needed to be done.” The question is – was Blue Wolf’s action legal, and was it the right action to take?

On the first question: The legality of Blue Wolf’s action. I would like to make the following points:

it was not an act without precedent
Eluvatar seems to occupy a strange world where TNP did not exist before the adoption of the current constitution and nothing that happened prior to the current constitution counts. But those of us with longer memories can recall many occasions when delegates have done what was necessary and acted when other officials were absent or inactive. I did so at least once during my first term as delegate. Those of us who have acted in that way have done so to collective applause. Generally before we have done so we have listened to the will of the region.
Did Blue Wolf listen to the region? That brings me to my second point:

The delegate did not act without advice.
The petition for the delegate to drop charges was supported by many who have held high office in this region: Cakatoa supported it. Former Chief Justice Falconcats Supported it. Cabinet member New Kervoskia supported it. Court Justice Grimalkin supported it. Vice Delegate Pasargad supported it in principle. Former justice Govindia and even Eluvatar himself supported a mistrial being declared. A Mean old Man ventured the opinion that the whole trial was a non-starter from the beginning.

But even with consultation a delegate can still break the law. Did Blue Wolf? This brings me to my third point:

Blue Wolf’s was not an unconstitutional act
The Constitution is not a clear document. It seems that the longer a legal framework the more self-contradictions and holes it contains. As an aside, I much prefer the British system of using precedent and case law rather than a written constitution for this very reason.

However, the constitution does grant any citizen the right to petition the delegate for redress of grievance. Implicit in that is the assumption that the delegate has the power to answer that petition. Felasia has made the point that petition ought to have been made to the Chief Justice. However, at the time of petition there was no Chief Justice – heck, there was no justice department at all. The defence might have been patient and waited for elections to take place, but after so many months of stupidity, our patience was exhausted. We appealed to the only man left standing.

I have my doubts about Blue Wolf as delegate. That should surprise nobody. However, it is my opinion that in this instance he acted with true leadership, legally, and in the best interests of the Region. He ended an embarrassment for us all, and deserves our thanks for doing so.

I believe the first point is made. Blue Wolf acted not only within the constitution but also within the best interests of the region. He also acted in the tradition of previous delegates of TNP.

The second main point I would like to make is that the decision he came to when nobody else would make the call was the right decision to make:

it was the right decision
Eluvatar has presented the delegate’s actions on 26th January as a disaster and as a threat to the very fabric of the region. He has presented it as a threat to the independence of the judiciary. In fact the real threat to the Judiciary came from the actions and attitude of successive justices and from the attitude of Eluvatar himself – as I will come to in a moment.

Blue Wolf came to a decision that was legal and constitutional. I will not rehash the arguments here, but I would urge the justices to look again at the petition presented to Blue Wolf. HERE

Even should you decide to overturn the decision made on 26th January by Blue Wolf, I would urge you not to consider resuming or even worse restarting action against John Ashcroft Land.

Before I close, I would like to make one last point. In an impassioned statement Eluvatar has highlighted what he sees as Blue Wolf’s threat against the constitution of the region. I have stated that the real threat has come from the Justice department. The incompetence and inactivity of successive justices has been the real problem. But so has the actions of Eluvatar:

Frankly, it should be Eluvatar whose actions are under review, not the delegate’s.
Much of the clusterfuck of this trial has been down to Eluvatar’s conduct during it. Throughout the trial he has presented little evidence (other than quoting swathes of the constitution, has called no witnesses and presented a half-hearted case. Yet he stubbornly refused to hand over conduct of the case to his successor as Attorney General – much to the frustration of all concerned.

In doing this, he was within his rights, but well beyond the intent of those who framed the constitution. His right is based on the following clause:

3.2) It is the duty of the Attorney General to see to completion any proceeding they are prosecuting.

However, this was intended for the speedy and fair resolution of matters outstanding at the time of handover. It was never intended that an Attorney General use this clause to extend his six month term by a further entire term. Although Eluvatar was very keen to uphold his rights under this clause, he was less keen to abide by the following clauses:

2,2) The Attorney General is to work within the rules adopted by the Court.

I could go into more detail should this hearing wish, but at no point in the trial did Eluvatar work within the rules of procedure established by the Regional Assembly on 20th October 2010. Much of the blame for this lays at the feet of the myriad justices who presided over the trial, but this is also a duty of the Attorney General, as shown.

2.3 The Attorney General shall serve for six months.

I believe this to be self-explanatory. A short extension to conclude business is understandable. To extend by a whole term is inexcusable.

I urge you to uphold Blue Wolf’s actions and to find in his favour in this hearing.

flemingovia:
Eluvatar seems to occupy a strange world where TNP did not exist before the adoption of the current constitution and nothing that happened prior to the current constitution counts.

But -does- it really count? Shouldn't the adoption of a new constitution wipe the slate clean with regard to precedent? After all, weren't precedents set based on what the previous constitutions allowed, not what this constitution allowed?

flemingovia:
However, the constitution does grant any citizen the right to petition the delegate for redress of grievance. Implicit in that is the assumption that the delegate has the power to answer that petition.

But to what point? Does that phrase give the Delegate the authority to act in a department that he has no part in, to interfere with the judicial process?

flemingovia:
However, at the time of petition there was no Chief Justice – heck, there was no justice department at all. The defence might have been patient and waited for elections to take place, but after so many months of stupidity, our patience was exhausted.

You did not think that prudence might have dictated waiting until a special election had been completed?

But -does- it really count? Shouldn't the adoption of a new constitution wipe the slate clean with regard to precedent? After all, weren't precedents set based on what the previous constitutions allowed, not what this constitution allowed?

Not always, no. Sometimes these actions covered situations that the constitution was not set up to allow or prohibit. The same happened in this case; the constitution never envisages an entire justice department disappearing with no special elections being held or appointments made. In situations like that, the delegate is the only one who can show leadership. TNP has always understood that, and if a ruling on this hearing prevents that we risk paralysis in the future.

But to what point? Does that phrase give the Delegate the authority to act in a department that he has no part in, to interfere with the judicial process?

I do not accept that the delegate " has no part in" the justice department - although I do Accept that his involvement ought to be rare, and based on this situation where petition is made to him in the absence of an entire justice department. This clause does not limit the petition that may be made. It does not say "petition may be made to the delegate ... Except in legal matters."

You did not think that prudence might have dictated waiting until a special election had been completed?

As things have turned out, perhaps. But you need to understand the frustration of the defence. This was, essentially, a political show-trial designed to justify a political act - barring JAL from the RA. It had been allowed to drag on for months and months, and we had no way of knowing whether a special election would give us justices of any greater competence than those who came before. Remember too that at the time of the petition special elections had not even been announced, let alone held. Just about everyone wanted the trial ended. In those circumstances, patience is a lot to expect.

Flemingovia:
Not always, no. Sometimes these actions covered situations that the constitution was not set up to allow or prohibit. The same happened in this case; the constitution never envisages an entire justice department disappearing with no special elections being held or appointments made. In situations like that, the delegate is the only one who can show leadership. TNP has always understood that, and if a ruling on this hearing prevents that we risk paralysis in the future.

Wouldn't it have been more in line with the intent of the Constitution for the Delegate to begin the special election himself if the Speaker had not or was not able to?

flemingovia:
I do not accept that the delegate " has no part in" the justice department - although I do Accept that his involvement ought to be rare, and based on this situation where petition is made to him in the absence of an entire justice department. This clause does not limit the petition that may be made. It does not say "petition may be made to the delegate ... Except in legal matters."

Considering the context what you have quoted, I quote (bold mine)

Bill of Rights:
2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under this Constitution.

isn't more likely that the ability to redress grievances was intended to fall with the proscribed constitutional limits of their office? If the Attorney General is indeed outside of the Executive and is a member of the Judiciary, wouldn't that place this outside the realm of the Delegate's constitutional authority?

Wouldn't it have been more in line with the intent of the Constitution for the Delegate to begin the special election himself if the Speaker had not or was not able to?

except that Blue Wolf was acting in response to a petition, and he was petitioned (as allowed by the consitution) to drop charges against JAL, which is what he decided to do.

On the broader point, far more at the heart of the constitution is ensuring that citizens receive fair handling by the justice department. The conduct of that department meant that JAL did not (and, I would argue, could not) recieve a fair hearing. Blue Wolf took the speedy and necessary steps to uphold that constitutional principle.

isn't more likely that the ability to redress grievances was intended to fall with the proscribed constitutional limits of their office? If the Attorney General is indeed outside of the Executive and is a member of the Judiciary, wouldn't that place this outside the realm of the Delegate's constitutional authority?

I can state with some certaintly that that fine line distinction was not in our minds when we drew up the constitution. I beleive that when the delegate was the only one specifically mentioned in the "petition for redress of grievance" clause, it was because he was considered the highest authority of the land to which petition might be made.

If petition can only be made within the justice department, then we could have an absurdity where the justices make a corrupt ruling, in a case prosecuted by the Attorney General, and the only people the wronged citizen can make petition to are ... the justices and the Attorney General.

Government works best with checks and balances. If we say that a delegate cannot intervene on behalf of a citizen on matters pertaining to the judiciary, we remove a vital constitutional protection from our citizens.

flemingovia:
I can state with some certaintly that that fine line distinction was not in our minds when we drew up the constitution. I beleive that when the delegate was the only one specifically mentioned in the "petition for redress of grievance" clause, it was because he was considered the highest authority of the land to which petition might be made.

Just as a point of fact, response, the clause which I quoted states (bold mine) "Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances." Clearly the intent was to allow petition to any governmental authority.

The Delegate Blue Wolf will be given 48 hours to speak on his own behalf should he choose to do so.

Clearly the intent was to allow petition to any governmental authority.

When the government athority is present. I remind you again that we were in a most unusual situation when the entire justice department had collapsed.

I hope we never again find ourselves in that situation, and so this "petition to the delegate" never again needs to be called upon. But it is good to know that it is there when it is needed.

The Court will now go into deliberations over this issue. Please be patient, we will render our ruling as soon as possible.

Court Majority Opinion and Ruling

Chief Justice Grimalkin, Associate Justice Mahaj, Associate Justice Dyr Nasad

The Suit of the Government of The North Pacific against the Delegate Blue Wolf

The Court would like to first recognize the extenuating circumstances behind the actions of the Delegate Blue Wolf in the dropping of the charges against JAL in the case TNP vs. JAL. With an empty bench and an effectively absent Attorney General action had to be taken, and precedent needed to be set. Precedent, however, is not above the constraints of the law, but is to be a filling for where there is a gap in the law or to clear ambiguity.

The question this court was asked to answer was whether the Delegate had the authority to step into the role of Attorney General and assume its authority and power. In making its decision the court considered the arguments made by both counsels, but ultimately it relied on the text and body of the constitution and the legal code along with precedent set with the current constitution.

The court considered the precedent set when the Delegate granted amnesty to members of the Crimson Order and declined to prosecute; however, during this time the office of the Attorney General did not exist and prosecutorial authority, by virtue of precedent and not law, was in the hands of the Delegate.

The court would like to stress that precedent does not carry across constitutions. Given the changes that occur in new constitutions as well as the intent behind certain concepts, it is simply not practical to assume that a precedent that was valid with a previous constitution will continue to be valid with a later constitution.

For reference, TNP Law 31 reads,

TNP Law 31:
To better serve the region as Chief Prosecutor to prosecute any abuse of power to the fullest extent,the Regional Assembly declares the office of Attorney General be an elected office, to be elected at the same time as the Justices of the Court of The North Pacific in the manner provided by Section Two of Law 26.

Section 2:
1) The Attorney General is to serve as Chief Prosecutor to all cases brought before the Court of the North Pacific.
2) The Attorney General is to work within the rules adopted by the Court.
3) The Attorney General shall serve for six months.

Section 3:
1) Should the position for the Attorney General become vacant for any reason, the Chief Justice shall name a replacement for the interim until a special election is held under Section Three of Law 26, or until the next regular judicial election.
2) It is the duty of the Attorney General to see to completion any proceeding they are prosecuting. If for any reason, should the original Attorney General be unable to complete a pending case, then the interim or elected successor Attorney General shall take over as prosecutor and complete the pending proceedings.

The relevant portions of TNP Law 26, for reference, state,

TNP Law 26:
1. The election cycle for the 6-month terms of The Judiciary, including the Chief Justice, and the Attorney General, shall begin on the first day of the months of April and October.

TNP Law 31 clearly invests the authority to prosecute in the office of the Attorney General and that the Attorney General is not required to hand over a current case to a new Attorney General-elect. In fact, the law states that it is his/her duty to see the completion of the case he/she originally undertook.

BothTNP Law 31 and Law 26 clearly place the office of the Attorney General within the Judicial Branch.

TNP Law 26:
1. A special election shall be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position in accordance with this Law. A special election cycle shall last for no more than fourteen days, which must be completed prior to the beginning of the next election cycle for the vacated office or position.
2. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.

TNP Law 26 affirms that should a vacancy arise with any elected position, a special election is to take place, of which the Delegate is able to serve as the Election Commissioner.

From the Constitution,

Constitution:
The authority to formulate and guide regional policy, command the armies, diplomats and intelligence agents in the service of TNP is vested in the Executive Branch. The Executive shall consist of the the Delegate and the Cabinet.

Constitution:
3. The Delegate is responsible to ensure the good governance of the Executive Branch of TNP and may appoint and remove at will executive officers from the Assembly to serve at his pleasure.. Executive officers must maintain membership in the Assembly.

Bill of Rights:
2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under this Constitution.

The Constitution clearly grants the every-day running of the region to the Executive branch and clearly invests ultimate authority over the Executive in the hands of the Delegate; however, this is where the Delegate’s authority ends. As established by TNP Laws 26 and 31, the Attorney General is a part of the Judicial branch and outside the authority of the Delegate and the Executive.

As for the redress of grievances, the court holds that, as with setting precedent, the redress must be within the constraints of the Constitution and the Legal Code.

Therefore, it is the ruling of this court that the Delegate Blue Wolf acted unconstitutionally in assuming the role of the Judiciary and dismissing the charges against JAL from the case TNP vs. JAL. All charges that were dropped are hereby officially reinstated.

The court holds that the proper course of action would have been for the Delegate to hold a special election for the Judiciary branch in line with constraints of the Constitution. The court appreciates the Delegate’s desire for expediency; however, the law cannot be set aside for the sake of the “easiest” option.

Back