PASSED: GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION: Freedom in Medical Research[Archived] [Complete]

Freedom in Medical Research

A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

Category: Free Trade

Strength: Significant

Proposed by: Connopolis

Description: The General Assembly,

DUMBFOUNDED by the sheer amount of progress the World Assembly has made in healthcare, and other areas of sapient well-being,

REALIZING, however that further progress can be made in these fields, especially that of medical research,

CONCERNED that many member-states may ban the research of certain forms of medical treatment within their borders, despite their beneficial characteristics,

CONSTANTLY STRIVING to improve the lives of sapient-kind by furthering knowledge of surgical, therapeutic, and medicinal sciences,

The World Assembly therefore resolves;

(1) Doctors, and other medical professionals that utilize controversial forms of treatment shall not be penalized by either the individual, post-procedure, or the government, unless fully informed consent was not acquired.

(2) Enterprises - such as pharmaceutical companies and universities - that research crucial medical treatments shall not be immoderately restricted by their host government to the point where their endeavors no longer become fruitful, nor shall they be prevented from researching any form of treatment, unless believed to be unethical by the Institutional Review Board (IRB).

(3) Potential test subjects must be made fully aware of any known side-effects of the experiment prior to participating in the tests; individuals who partake in the experiment must be compensated unless stated otherwise by the test-subject in question. Establishments hosting the aforementioned experiments must offer clear, apprehensible written form in which individuals may assess the terms of participation, and express their written consent; the aforementioned establishments shall also read the form to the individual until the individually fully understands the procedure.

(4) Enterprises that pursue research in regards to health care shall not deceive test subjects, nor future patients, and must make note of possible side-effect, consequences, and dangers posed by the procedure/treatment prior to releasing it to the public.

(5) All research results that meet the criteria of this resolution shall be made accessible to the public, as well as any products that are developed as a result of the research. All drugs must be subjected to the same screening without discrimination if they meet the criteria of this resolution, and will be subject to equal legal protections as any other treatment, and shall be free from any discrimination that is not equitably distributed amongst all drugs offered in the member nation.

(6) Medicinal drugs, and other such substances shall visibly print the side-effects, ingredients, and the company in which the substance was produced on the vessel in which it's sold in, and are forbidden from making spurious claims about the substance in advertisements; in the case that false claims are made, governments may prosecute them accordingly.

(7) Medical professionals shall be allowed to freely share the merits of their research/treatments, as well as the procedures involved, controversial or otherwise, with the international community, so long as such sharing is not done with dubious information.

(8) This resolution, in no way, prevents member-states from funding public healthcare mechanisms, nor does it prevent them from distributing medicinal, surgical, or therapeutic treatments free of charge, or for a lesser price than that of private actors.

Co-Author: Quadrimmina

This came to a vote on the floor of the WA General Assembly at approximately 0400 GMT, Friday, 18 November 2011, or 11:00 p.m. EST, Thursday, 17 November 2011 and will end at approximately 0400 Monday, 22 November 2011, or 11:00 pm EST, Sunday, 21 November 2011.

TNP-resident WA members, please post your position on the resolution in this thread, or send it to me by PM here, or by TG at nationstates.net.

Amazing how people criticize the lack of regional activity and then do nothing to foster it when given the chance.

Anyways...I was one of the few to vote against this. Oversteps its bounds in my opinion.

My practice is that I will reserve the right to simply not cast a vote when there's no input unless the vote is extremely close, then I might vote the way I would individually. But that sort of thing would be rare, indeed.
As it stand, Blackshear has determined how I will provisionally cast the region's vote, but if enough contrary opinions reaches me in time, I reserve the right to change it.

Blackshear:
Amazing how people criticize the lack of regional activity and then do nothing to foster it when given the chance.

Anyways...I was one of the few to vote against this. Oversteps its bounds in my opinion.
Resolution Passed, I am going to have to said that I don't usually care much for WA resolution unless it's a SC resolution.

And I would like to state that the lack of regional activity may be created by the lack of activity from each ministers responsible to create others chances to participate in the region for those who don't care for WA affairs and from the Delegate who have yet to show a clear indication of how this region will develop during his term. Instead, he use his time to block others suggestion and create ridiculous conspiracy theory against those who wishes for a change.

And you ask why people don't want to take this "chance"?

You're points were relevant a few weeks ago. Things have changed. The sinkers happened and the focus of many of our more itinerant members shifted. Heck, it took you three weeks to comment on your own endo cap proposal that you feel is so vital to regional security. That's not Grosse's fault.

My point remains, I have see little to none activity from the government and the Delegate during the past three weeks and even before it. Blaming this inactivity on the sinker is only partially correct as many people wouldn't have feel the need for a change to a newer and more open-minded region if a different in an opinion and suggestion for a change have not been ridicule as a conspiracy to overthrown the region.

Felasia:
My point remains, I have see little to none activity from the government and the Delegate during the past three weeks and even before it. Blaming this inactivity on the sinker is only partially correct as many people wouldn't have feel the need for a change to a newer and more open-minded region if a different in an opinion and suggestion for a change have not been ridicule as a conspiracy to overthrown the region.
The RA is not my realm and the SC is yours. There's been information posted there regularly by both myself and Elu that you could have used to start contacting eligible nations to solicit their membership onto the TNP SC.
Your complaint doesn't hold water, if for no other reason that a lot of things went into a holding pattern when certain nations decided that Orisis and Balder were more important; I won't accept blame for that.
As to the rest, I've put several things out there . And I've been working steadily on raising the levels of endorsements, reviewing embassy requests, testifying at a trial, and nursing a really nasty cold. Where were you?

Now, this line of discussion is seriously off topic for this thread, and is better dealt with elsewhere. The vote has closed and the proposal passed.

The RA is not my realm and the SC is yours. There's been information posted there regularly by both myself and Elu that you could have used to start contacting eligible nations to solicit their membership onto the TNP SC.

I had contact several nations through telegram, but the fact is that no one is interest. It seems that they have lost all interest in TNP government.

Your complaint doesn't hold water, if for no other reason that a lot of things went into a holding pattern when certain nations decided that Orisis and Balder were more important; I won't accept blame for that.

It start before the creation of sinker region when you stonewall a proposal to create constituent assembly. You can denied all you want, but you did attack other TNP nations with ridiculous accusation that damage both their belief in the region freedom of speech and their credibility. It's disgusting and unbecoming of a leader.

As to the rest, I've put several things out there . And I've been working steadily on raising the levels of endorsements, reviewing embassy requests, testifying at a trial, and nursing a really nasty cold. Where were you?

I would like to see these several things you have talk about. Working on your endorsement is a duty of a delegate, not an accomplishment. I would also like to noted that I'm 25 endorsements after you as you have requested. Testifying on a trial is also a duty, one that everybody have to do anyway and that I have also already did. Good job on reviewing embassy request, I will give you that one, but where is other departments work? Domestic for example and what are we actually doing to attract new nation to the forum?

I'm not trying to point the blame. What I'm looking for is leadership during this slow-period and for you to actually start kicking each minister asses instead of letting the region slowly going into inactivity.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back