independece of judiciary

Pasargad

Ancient
TNP Nation
Pasargad
i puropse to preserve independence of tnp judiciary we need to insure that chief justice and attorney general are not members of any political party.

I propose as a counteroffer that we find some legitimate way of appointing our judges instead. Can't rule independently when you're up for election next week. Far more likely to see a judgment swayed by that than by membership in a political party.

What Oliver said. Directly elected judges, especially by a (*shudders*) bloc vote, are an atrocious thing.

Funny you're saying that having having done just that.

There's not an iota of evidence that an appointed judiciary would be any less affected by a political bloc than an elected one. And lifetime appointments are impractical.

How about, instead of making a vague statement, you read the law and write something to propose to the Assembly?
EDIT: @ Pasargad

People of a political party are, in essence, just people who agree with each other. Therefore I demand an expansion of Pasargad's proposal and state that the Chief Justice and Attorney General should both be the most unreasonable people in TNP who agree with nothing anyone says.

People have their beliefs and affiliations, and will whether or not you allow them to be officially members of a Party.

I think facing elections and stating your affiliations openly is the most transparent and democratic way to do it.

Again, I believe in expanding the voting base beyond the RA, too, which would soften the impact of party-based block voting of all kinds.

In RL maybe, upcoming elections will sway a judge to pander to the voters in a profoundly negative way.

If we ever faced a situation where there were enough engaged voters paying close enough attention to the court in order to influence the behavior of a judge, that would probably be a very good thing for TNP.

Back