Regional Update; October 2011 (Draft Thread)

stripe2.png
Regional Update - October 2011

Delegate: Grosseschnauzer
Vice Delegate: Felasia
AD Communications: Greater Peterstan
AD Internal Affairs: Govindia
AD External Affairs: Cakatoa

Speaker of the Regional Assembly: A Mean Old Man
Total RA Members: 27

Regional Assembly Membership List: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6832794

Chief Justice: Dalimbar
Justices: Cakatoa | Greater Peterstan
Attorney General: Blue Wolf II

Regional Forum: http://s13.zetaboards.com/TNP/index/
IRC Channel: #tnp on esper.net​

The North Pacific Stats
(as of 10/18/2011)

The North Pacific contains 4,247 nations, the 3rd most in the world.

Total Forum Posts: 181,832
Total Members: 1,639​

stripe2.png
Top Stories
Region vs. John Ashcroft Land
The Trial of the Century, or The Trial That Will Last a Century?
silence-cropped-1.jpg

On August 5 Attorney General Eluvatar served notice that he would be pursuing criminal charges against one Durkadurkiranistan II aka The Poo Dynasty aka John Ashcroft Land. JAL is well known in TNP for illegally seizing the Delegacy and ejected hundreds of "innocent nations without warning, notification, or cause", although he had never faced trial for those crimes.

That was about to change.
The charges stem from JAL's attempt to join the Regional Assembly. His application was denied initially due to the fact that he purposefully submitted an Oath of Office that had been heavily modified from the one required by TNP Law. Although JAL later claimed this action to be a joke, when combined with knowledge of his checkered past, it sent officials scrambling to find means of denying his RA application, as well as to bring him to justice for his previous crimes.

Presiding over the case is Chief Justice Falconcats and Justice Govindia and Justice Topid. Attorney General Eluvatar has been acting as the prosecutor. He proceeded on several serious charges against JAL ranging from sedition, to illegally seizing the delegacy and ejecting nations. The court is also charged with considering whether the Speaker of Regional Assembly, Felasia, acted appropriately in denying his RA application.

The Attorney General presented a substantial amount of detailed historical evidence and testimony surrounding JAL's rogue Delegacy.

JAL, pleading innocent to all charges and maintaining his right to serve on the RA, tapped Flemgovia to handle his defense. Flemgovia's defensive strategy, thus far, has been to concede the his client's past record while attempting to demonstrate that the region has a long history of accepting those with a questionable past, including former rogue Delegates. He has also suggested that the region has historically been selective and political in deciding who to forgive and who to accept back into the fold.

Over the course of September and October, the court has heard testimony from some of TNP's most well-known names, including Limi, Felasia, and Grosseschnauzer.

Now approaching three months in progress, to provide a more detailed analysis, without prejudicing the active proceeding would be difficult. All citizens are encouraged to investigate the relevant TNP history, follow the conclusion of the trial, and form their own opinions.

Get caught up on the action

JAL on the North Pacific Provisional Authority, in his own words http://twp.nosync.org/forums/?showtopic=9167

Link to Orginal Complaint from Attorney General Elvutar http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6811048

Link to Ongoing Court Proceedings http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6824676

Election News
Who is in, who is out, and all the muck that's fit to rake.
DiretasJC3A1-ComC3ADcios2-1.jpg

Note: I will probably hold off on the first update until the elections are over and tallied, so as to provide complete results.

General Election

In the latest round of general elections, Grosseschnauzer narrowly defeated Felasia to become Delegate and A Mean Old Man (AMOM) was acclaimed as the new Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

The Vice-Delegate position remained unfilled after it was discovered that the only candidate, Pasargrad, was ineligible due to his lapsed membership in the Regional Assembly. To his credit, Pasargrad discovered the laspe and recused himself from the election. He was later appointed by the Delegate to the position of acting VD while Special Elections could be arranged.

The final vote count was subject to some controversy, as the status of some Regional Assembly members was called into question.

Check out this thread, and decide for yourself: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6832538

Special Election

To address the vacancy at VD, a special election was held. Immediate past-delegate Blackshear competed against Felasia to "assume the position". Ultimately, Felasia defeated our former Delegate and has been certified Vice Delegate.

Click here for the official results: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6840083/1/

Judicial Elections

Full disclosure: I was a candidate in this election. GP

The regularly scheduled Judicial Elections are also in progress. Dalimbar ran unopposed for Chief Justice and Blue Wolf II ran unopposed for Attorney General. In both cases, they were acclaimed into their positions.

Cakatoa, Greater Peterstan and Falconkats were competing for the two Associate Justice positions. Cakatoa and Greater Peterstan were elected.

Click here for the official results: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8039068&t=6840941

New Political Movement Sweeps TNP
Progressive Party of the North Pacific makes inroads, the Delegate responds with a party of his own
1221_Die_Revolution_1848_in_Berlin-1.jpg

Full disclosure: I am an active member of the Progressive Party of the North Pacific. GP
Another change which is dramatically changing the political landscape of the North Pacific is the formation of a new political party, the Progressive Party of the North Pacific (ProP). The party is a coalition of self-described "progressive thinkers" with the stated goal of bringing a fresh perspective to political life in TNP.

Not all citizens are equally enthusiastic about the new party. Recently elected Delegate Grosseschnauzer, for one, has repeatedly questioned the motives of the group, going so far as to suggest that the party is a foreign conspiracy to overthrow the legitimate TNP government.

The beginning of a very interesting exchange here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8038122&t=6821092

This accusation has been widely denied by Party members.

Motives aside, there is little doubt that party is already wielding a substantial amount of influence in the region. They comprise a majority of the Regional Assembly, including the new Speaker. It is looking likely Party members will claim the Vice Delegacy and the majority of the judicial positions as well.

This is not the first time party politics has entered TNP. In late 2005, under the leadership of Poltsamaa, the Civil Progressive Party managed to win over half of the cabinet seats available in the government system at the time. It disappeared after a single election. There is no connection between this early pioneer and the modern ProP party.

One of the first actions of ProP in the Regional Assembly was to propose an amendment that would allow the current constitution to expire, and to empower the RA to create Constituent Assembly to propose and implement significant changes to the constitution, government and legal system. This amendment is currently making its way through the Assembly. Click here for more information.

Interesting times ahead in TNP politics.

Check out the ProP thread in the forums for more information: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6833237

LATE BREAKING NEWS: On October 18, Delegate Grosseschnauzer announced that he would be forming a competing political party, called The Democratic Confederation of The North Pacific. His stated goal is to provide a "counterweight to this emerging hegamony that would destroy a true democracy resident in The North Pacifican." At press time there were no specific policies announced, nor membership lists released.
But you can read Grosseschauzer's whole statement here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6841313

LATER BREAKING NEWS:
50254_2204901489_297_n.jpg
It was also announced on October 18 that everyone's favorite political prisoner John Ashcroft Land was forming his own political party, called the Regressive Party. The policies of the new party include "occasional purges to keep the proles in check."
JAL added in a later post, "It is in your interests to join the Regressive Party whether or not you agree with our platform, since joining would shield you from the inevitable purges after we seize power."

Interested parties should check out the whole thread here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6841356

With Files From Dalimbar

stripe2.png
News Bites

New Cabinet Appointments: Cakatoa agreed to serve as the new Assistant Delegate for External Affairs. Govindia was appointed to the Internal Affairs Portfolio. Yours truly, Greater Peterstan, was appointed by Delegate Grosseschnauzer to handle the Communications Portfolio. Visit the Delgate's Office to read the official announcements http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/forum/39608/

Foreign Affairs Reinvigorated: Under the leadership of the new AD External, Cakatoa, newly approved embassies are being established, and the re-establishment of the Ambassador Corps is underway. Contact Cakatoa to get involved in the Ambassador Corps: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/profile/197498/ Visit Embassy Row here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/forum/39650/

stripe2.png
For the record: Recent World Assembly Votes

At Vote: GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION: Social Assistance Accord (Our Delegate votes YES)
PASSED: GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION: Law of the Seas (Our Delegate votes YES)
PASSED: SECURITY COUNCIL RESOLUTION: Commend Glen Rhodes (Our Delegate votes YES)

Visit the discussions surrounding all WA votes here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/forum/39609/

Oh, I dunno. I was on there today and it seemed pretty busy. Lately in general. I say leave it on for now, since the practice has been to include it.

Grimalkin:
Just because you're banned doesn't mean other people can't access it.
Then the ban should be lifted. I'm an executive officer of the government, it's about high time the ban be lifted and if others have access and are memebrs of the government, so should I.

I do not think it should be there otherwise, as it's not an official channel of TNP, and currently not under TNP law...yet.

Then the ban should be lifted. I'm an executive officer of the government, it's about high time the ban be lifted and if others have access and are memebrs of the government, so should I.

I'm afraid being executive officer doesn't means you have make any improvement when it come to handling confrontation with people who disagreed with you. Based on what I have seen so far here and on other post, it's in the best interest of #TNP not to have you around.

I do not think it should be there otherwise, as it's not an official channel of TNP, and currently not under TNP law...yet.

It's not an official channel, but it's a channel in which most TNPer who use IRC hang around. It's not in anyway control by TNP government and any attempt to take control of it would be impossible to enforce. It would also result in another proposal from me to put this forum administration under region control since it's only fair that everything is control by the government.

In my humble opinion, you are the only person with a problem about #TNP around here. It's easily democracy in action, while I listen to your voice of concern and feel sorry for you being banned, it's more important to do what the majority want and to keep peace.

@Greater Paterstan

I can't be a designated Speaker Pro Tempore since I'm one of the executive official. It's probably Falconkat right now, unless the Speaker deemed otherwise.

I'm afraid being executive officer doesn't means you have make any improvement when it come to handling confrontation with people who disagreed with you. Based on what I have seen so far here and on other post, it's in the best interest of #TNP not to have you around.

Excuse me Felasia, I can handle confrontation, but the fact is I was trolled out of #tnp the last time I was there, and either you seem oblivious to that fact or seem to condone the trolling behaviour of certain people, some of whom are members of your party.

In my opinion, it's better not to have you around on #TNP. It's up to Assistant Delegate for Communication though to decide whether to put #TNP on the update or not.

Felasia:
In my opinion, it's better not to have you around on #TNP. It's up to Assistant Delegate for Communication though to decide whether to put #TNP on the update or not.
So I see you condone those who troll people in the channel then?

I violated no policies in #tnp, so you need to accept that fact and learn to actually stand up for something instead of condoning inappropriate behaviour mate. Whatever.

Two of the people there condone trolling, at least three others actually engage in trolling...yea, I don't think those five are worthy objective judges of who should and shouldn't be allowed in a community channel, especially when executive officials should be allowed in.

I haven't been onIRC in years becuase computers I had at the time kept getting hit with trojans, and I didn't need the aggravation. However, the # tnp. channel is supposed too be semi-official, or at least some administrations used a.private side channel there for official meetings.

Who is the owner these days? We probably need too discussion its official status in relation too the region.

Thel is the current owner. I believe it's always been understood that the IRC channel is a completely separate entity from the forum administration and government. Administrations I'd been a part of used a private channel to conduct official business rather than #tnp.

My experience.is That there was a.private room on that channel.that was used for government chat. I've also.recall Hearing.that the channel changed ownership.at times,.so It really is unclear to me what the status is currently.

I violated no policies in #tnp, so you need to accept that fact and learn to actually stand up for something instead of condoning inappropriate behaviour mate. Whatever.

There is no trolling. It's a simple fact that you don't get along with others. It's just better not to have you around to preserve peace.

I also don't recall the need to break any policies for anyone to be banned, especially in this case when channel operator views that you are a threat to the channel peace.

The fact is you can't accept that you are not welcome and you needs to grow up and understand why.

My experience.is That there was a.private room on that channel.that was used for government chat. I've also.recall Hearing.that the channel changed ownership.at times,.so It really is unclear to me what the status is currently.

There was a channel for government, but since no government official is around it went dead. I think Gov is in control of it though. (Not sure)

Felasia:

There is no trolling. It's a simple fact that you don't get along with others. It's just better not to have you around to preserve peace.

I also don't recall the need to break any policies for anyone to be banned, especially in this case when channel operator views that you are a threat to the channel peace.

The fact is you can't accept that you are not welcome and you needs to grow up and understand why.

There was a channel for government, but since no government official is around it went dead. I think Gov is in control of it though. (Not sure)

You were not present when trolling occurred last I was there.

I can get along with others fine who are capable of acting like adults and not like schoolchildrean :)

I am no threat to channel peace at all. People need to learn to get along and interact with everyone in a civil manner and it is quite easy for them to do that. It just requires effort to be mature. Simple as that.

I have done nothing wrong to disrupt channel peace and that is fact. It is the others Felasia, which you need to start seeing more objectively. Though to make things fair it would be far easier if people just started with a clean slate and once that was done, legislation and rules were enacted so that people could know what to do in IRC in terms of civil behaviour.

as for who the current owner is now. Technically it i sThel but he handed it off to Dali as Successor.

i think that irc channel should be either open to all or its link be removed from forum and rmb i prefer the facebook page anyways. tnp irc channel is more like a private club than a place for tnp nations to chat and debate

Pasargad:
i think that irc channel should be either open to all or its link be removed from forum and rmb i prefer the facebook page anyways. tnp irc channel is more like a private club than a place for tnp nations to chat and debate
kinda has a point

I'd like to see you pry the channel from Thel's cold, dead computer.

#tnp is open to everyone. Anyone can come and be apart of it, but you're expected to at least get along with others. Gov didn't, so he was banned. Now he's on a tirade and going through his usual martyr act to try and get his way. It's ridiculous.

Grimalkin:

#tnp is open to everyone. Anyone can come and be apart of it, but you're expected to at least get along with others. Gov didn't, so he was banned. Now he's on a tirade and going through his usual martyr act to try and get his way. It's ridiculous.
You clearly were not there when things happened Ag. I have the logs from when it happened, and since you were not present you really can't speak on the matter mate.

I was trolled. The mod who banned me tolerated the trolling despite others seeing the behaviour of Wham and Biyah as wrong.

I get along with others except for trolls who are never disciplined in #tnp

If it's open to everyone it should be open to government officials for access, period.

Could you children take your squabbling out of my office please? Since I promised Grosse that I would approach this in a nonpartisan way, I will look at it from a journalist's angle.

Official, unofficial, semi-official, it is one of the places where TNP citizens hang out, in significant enough numbers, to bear mentioning in the update. It is about communicating the complete, accurate, picture to people internally and externally. If you want to talk about officially endorsing, or removing your endorsement, or whatever, take it up in Regional Assembly.

As far as I'm concerned, my first issue of the Regional Update is ready to distribute.

Govindia:
Grimalkin:

You clearly were not there when things happened Ag. I have the logs from when it happened, and since you were not present you really can't speak on the matter mate.

I was trolled. The mod who banned me tolerated the trolling despite others seeing the behaviour of Wham and Biyah as wrong.

If it's open to everyone it should be open to government officials for access, period.
It is, actually.

You were banned. You, as an individual, nothing more, were banned. YOU are not welcome there. End of story.

Greater Peterstan:
Could you children take your squabbling out of my office please? Since I promised Grosse that I would approach this in a nonpartisan way, I will look at it from a journalist's angle.

Official, unofficial, semi-official, it is one of the places where TNP citizens hang out, in significant enough numbers, to bear mentioning in the update. It is about communicating the complete, accurate, picture to people internally and externally. If you want to talk about officially endorsing, or removing your endorsement, or whatever, take it up in Regional Assembly.

As far as I'm concerned, my first issue of the Regional Update is ready to distribute.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Matter of fact... I really wish that Everyone would kind or grow up and stop making meaningless arguments just because! There have been several things happening over the past month that is just so childish and immature! I think everyone needs to take a step back and remember to act like adults when handling situations.

Grimalkin:
Govindia:
Grimalkin:

It is, actually.

You were banned. You, as an individual, nothing more, were banned. YOU are not welcome there. End of story.
You do not speak for all of the IRC channel nor any of the participants from there.

I agree with Vilnoia. Anyone that has a petty grudge (which is what all Internet grudges are) with me needs to grow up and get over it and that also means letting me back in period Agamemnon. Anything else is irrelevant and immature.

Greater Peterstan:

Could you post the final draft with Code to distribute in IF and ZB forums please?

Back