Stories For The Next Update

I haven't settled on the look or format of the next update, but I am working on some text. I'll post what I'm working on here before the final edition goes out. If anyone wants to contribute anything, this would be a good spot too.

stripe2.png

Region vs. John Ashcroft Land
The Trial of the Century, or The Trial That Will Last a Century?

silence-cropped-1.jpg

On August 5 Attorney General Eluvatar served notice that he would be pursuing criminal charges against one Durkadurkiranistan II aka The Poo Dynasty aka John Ashcroft Land. JAL is well known in TNP for illegally seizing the Delegacy and ejected hundreds of "innocent nations without warning, notification, or cause", although he had never faced trial for those crimes.

That was about to change.
The charges stem from JAL's attempt to join the Regional Assembly. His application was denied initially due to the fact that he purposefully submitted an Oath of Office that had been heavily modified from the one required by TNP Law. Although JAL later claimed this action to be a joke, when combined with knowledge of his checkered past, it sent officials scrambling to find means of denying his RA application, as well as to bring him to justice for his previous crimes.

Presiding over the case is Chief Justice Falconcats and Justice Govindia and Justice Topid. Attorney General Eluvatar has been acting as the prosecutor. He proceeded on several serious charges against JAL ranging from sedition, to illegally seizing the delegacy and ejecting nations. The court is also charged with considering whether the Speaker of Regional Assembly, Felasia, acted appropriately in denying his RA application.

The Attorney General presented a substantial amount of detailed historical evidence and testimony surrounding JAL's rogue Delegacy.

JAL, pleading innocent to all charges and maintaining his right to serve on the RA, tapped Flemgovia to handle his defense. Flemgovia's defensive strategy, thus far, has been to concede the his client's past record while attempting to demonstrate that the region has a long history of accepting those with a questionable past, including former rogue Delegates. He has also suggested that the region has historically been selective and political in deciding who to forgive and who to accept back into the fold.

Over the course of September and October, the court has heard testimony from some of TNP's most well-known names, including Limi, Felasia, and Grosseschnauzer.

Now approaching three months in progress, to provide a more detailed analysis, without prejudicing the active proceeding would be difficult. All citizens are encouraged to investigate the relevant TNP history, follow the conclusion of the trial, and form their own opinions.

Get caught up on the action

JAL on the North Pacific Provisional Authority, in his own words http://twp.nosync.org/forums/?showtopic=9167

Link to Orginal Complaint from Attorney General Elvutar http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6811048

Link to Ongoing Court Proceedings http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6824676

stripe2.png

ELECTION NEWS

DiretasJC3A1-ComC3ADcios2-1.jpg

Note: I will probably hold off on the first update until the elections are over and tallied, so as to provide complete results.

General Election

In the latest round of general elections, Grosseschnauzer narrowly defeated Felasia to become Delegate and A Mean Old Man (AMOM) was acclaimed as the new Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

The Vice-Delegate position remained unfilled after it was discovered that the only candidate, Pasargrad, was ineligible due to his lapsed membership in the Regional Assembly. To his credit, Pasargrad discovered the laspe and recused himself from the election. He was later appointed by the Delegate to the position of acting VD while Special Elections could be arranged.

The final vote count was subject to some controversy, as the status of some Regional Assembly members was called into question.

Check out this thread, and decide for yourself: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6832538

Special Election

To address the vacancy at VD, a special election was held. Immediate past-delegate Blackshear competed against Felasia to "assume the position". Ultimately, Felasia defeated our former Delegate and has been certified Vice Delegate.

Click here for the official results: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6840083/1/

Judicial Election

Full disclosure: I was a candidate in this election. GP

The regularly scheduled Judicial Elections are also in progress. Dalimbar is ran unopposed for Chief Justice and Blue Wolf II is ranunopposed for Attorney General. In both cases, they were acclaimed into their positions.

Cakatoa, Greater Peterstan and Falconkats were competing for the two Associate Justice positions. Cakatoa and Greater Peterstan were elected.

Click here for the official results: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8039068&t=6840941

stripe2.png

New Political Movement Sweeps TNP

1221_Die_Revolution_1848_in_Berlin-1.jpg

Full disclosure: I am an active member of the Progressive Party of the North Pacific. GP
Another change which is dramatically changing the political landscape of the North Pacific is the formation of a new political party, the Progressive Party of the North Pacific (ProP). The party is a coalition of self-described "progressive thinkers" with the stated goal of bringing a fresh perspective to political life in TNP.

Not all citizens are equally enthusiastic about the new party. Recently elected Delegate Grosseschnauzer, for one, has repeatedly questioned the motives of the group, going so far as to suggest that the party is a foreign conspiracy to overthrow the legitimate TNP government.

The beginning of a very interesting exchange here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8038122&t=6821092

This accusation has been widely denied by Party members.

Motives aside, there is little doubt that party is already wielding a substantial amount of influence in the region. They comprise a majority of the Regional Assembly, including the new Speaker. It is looking likely Party members will claim the Vice Delegacy and the majority of the judicial positions as well.

This is not the first time party politics has entered TNP. In late 2005, under the leadership of Poltsamaa, the Civil Progressive Party managed to win over half of the cabinet seats available in the government system at the time. It disappeared after a single election. There is no connection between this early pioneer and the modern ProP party.

One of the first actions of ProP in the Regional Assembly was to propose an amendment that would allow the current constitution to expire, and to empower the RA to create Constituent Assembly to propose and implement significant changes to the constitution, government and legal system. This amendment is currently making its way through the Assembly. Click here for more information.

Interesting times ahead in TNP politics.

With Files From Dalimbar

Check out the ProP thread in the forums for more information: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6833237

New Cabinet Appointments

Cakatoa agreed to serve as the new Assistant Delegate for External Affairs. Govindia was appointed to the Internal Affairs Portfolio. Yours truly, Greater Peterstan, was appointed by Delegate Grosseschnauzer to handle the Communications Portfolio.

Visit the Delgate's Office to read the official announcements http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/forum/39608/

We have newly approved embassies being established, and the re-establishment of the Ambassador Corps is underway.

As well as the WA votes on resolutions in the General Assembly and the Security Council.

Govindia:
Not bad so far, it's spelled Govindia, not Govinda by the way.

Anything you would like me to assist in?
No, other than maybe some advice about the best way to assemble the final product -

You're responsible for internal communication - what is the best format for you, in terms of distributing it to people. Just a forum page, or what? Or anything that can be linked to?

I have a bit of a design background, so part of me wants to do something slick, I'm not sure it is worth the effort.

Does this forum accept HTML code? That would make PDF a more viable choice.

Greater Peterstan:
Govindia:
Not bad so far, it's spelled Govindia, not Govinda by the way.

Anything you would like me to assist in?
No, other than maybe some advice about the best way to assemble the final product -

You're responsible for internal communication - what is the best format for you, in terms of distributing it to people. Just a forum page, or what? Or anything that can be linked to?

I have a bit of a design background, so part of me wants to do something slick, I'm not sure it is worth the effort.

Does this forum accept HTML code? That would make PDF a more viable choice.
I would advise against PDF format. Some places may not take attachments.

And some places do take limited HTML coding. It varies.

As for the layout, I've seen some people put up as a post, of centred text and images, while others gather it all in one document, save it as a JPG or PNG image, then post the image (after hosting it) to the embassy page. One person I know who did that used MS Publisher for that work.

Once we have all the final articles, let'se see how putting it all together as a single forum post would be, though I will imagine it by quite large.

It is possible to upload.files smaller.than 7.5 MB Iirc as attachments at Zetaboards, but the user has to be put into a group.with that permission and historically we've only had admin with that power.

I'd personally wouldn't mind slick if we can do.it within the software limits of the Zetaboards platform. At least TNP has some distinctive regional graphic elements (see masthead above and regional flag and seal.

Back