New map proposal

T-Bone, guess what, they're all nations with billions and billions in population. And they're used as part of gameplay that went on internally within the IDU.

So stop acting like a smart-alec puppy that needs to be potty trained.

:) Good one :) remember not to potty on your citizens there Schnauzer Chowder......

To the rest of TNP, I know that some of you actually want on this map. I understand that the personal needs of the puppy ruler required that we use this map. I also understand that there is history, and other's involved.

Emb needs to study --> That I support.
Schnauzer Chowder makes the rules ---> Again fine with that.
He just made my point about having it his way....

So here is how the rest of you can get by:
The map is posted here for 72 hours.
http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/wholeproj.png

If Emb will take a few minutes and code it for Google Earth, and repost it to GitHub it is complete and official.
If Grosse wasn't a pain about it, we could have avoided all of this :) but that would have been asking tooo much :)

Enjoy your day all!

Grosseschnauzer:
T-Bone, guess what, they're all nations with billions and billions in population. .....
So stop acting like a smart-alec puppy that needs to be potty trained.
That is absolutely priceless Schnauzer Chowder.
As the WAD of a feeder, only countries with BILLIONS matter?????

AH hah hah hah hah.
:rofl:

Tbone, GS's claims on my draft map are entirely separate from the goings on here. GS has a number of puppets in the IDU, which I was working on including before I even approached TNP for this project.

Regarding existing claims and map history: This is an issue that I had to tackle in the IDU as well. As such, I'll tell you all the same thing I told them. Nations die. A lot. They CTE, they get deleted or banned, or they just move regions. You cannot maintain their claims in perpetuity. Part of the purpose of a cartographic roleplay is the interaction of neighboring nations. When your neighbor hasn't been on NS since 2007, you really can't work with them. It is difficult to remove nations, especially ones which are important to regional history.
As I recall, during your period of work with the map, you did just this. You removed nations which no longer exist so that the region can have a clean slate. And, as I recall, there were few if any nations remaining. The question is, if we've already come to the conclusion that the nations themselves are not worth keeping, why is the shape of the land worth keeping? Why constrain ourselves to an old and, frankly, unrealistic archipelago for the purposes of "history" when the nations which would have established such history have been discarded? I don't know if the nations the map you're posting now shows are the ones which had existing claims before either of us started on this, or if you added them afterward. Nonetheless, I will contact each of them individually to request their input on the issue.

Regardless of what you may think, tbone, there is no conspiracy here. And if you'd like to use an alternate map, whether based off mine or not, feel free. But I don't have the time to support it. If you want to fork the GitHub repo, feel free. I'm not going to do it for you.

--------

More generally, I would like to mention something that I neglected to say in my last post: The TNP portion of that map is still in very early stages. I wrote that post hastily in order to try and get something here to let you all know that I had not given up on the project.

On the topic of history, if I'm wrong and there is indeed a fair amount of regional history that would need to be maintained, please let me know. I will do my best to incorporate that into the map.

--------

Lastly, I'd like to say this: Off-topic discussion and flaming makes it much harder for me to follow the relevant parts of this discussion. I'd rather not have to wade through five posts of drivel about who's being immature and who's being unfair and who doesn't care about whom to find one little tidbit saying a short-term former member of the region wants more care taken with the history. At the very least, to tbone specifically, dispense with the hyperbole, quit the accusations, stop making double-posts, and format your posts in a readable way.

For what it's worth, not even Thel has kept the same geography on his TNP maps over the years; usually forum changes resulted in new base maps (or new software, in any event.)

So I'm not bothered by such changes in the current project. Of course, TNP has many more nations than almost all regions so the space requirements would work differently than the IDU map.

I'm doing my best to bring in as much land area as possible without making this unrealistic. It's worth noting, however, that if every nation in TNP were to try and claim a spot as large as even the United Kingdom, it would take over 7 Earths. Needless to say, it's impossible to make even a semi-realistic representation of every single nation. However, from what I've seen in old maps, not every nation will ask to be represented. As a feeder, TNP also has an unusually high number of gameplay-only nations and short-term members. I think the new map, as it seems to be turning out currenty, will have sufficient space for TNP to be represented well. It will be up to you to decide on policies for size, persistence (how long a nation can stay on the map after CTE), and other policies.

I'd also like to know what other regions TNP members might want to see represented on this map. Is there any region that the TNP is particularly close to that might be interested in being represented here? Any regions TNP members tend to RP with?

Okay, I think I have TNP pretty much hashed out. In the updated map, you can see the area outlined in red. The continent is split so that another region, such as Western Atlantic or Europeia, can take it. (Since it's on a different sea, it's not really the northern pacific anyway). I think, when the transient and non-RP nations are taken out, that will be plenty for the region to work with (though I may fudge the border a bit. or a lot). In gray are areas that may see significant changes.

I intend to approach Europeia and The South after New Years about joining us. Let me know if any of you have a problem with that.

And with that, I think I'm ready to take requests!

PNG | Google Earth KMZ | SVG (R-click->Download) | GitHub

I should be extra sure to mention (since I forgot to before, and apparently I can't edit my posts):

The size on the PNG map is not the actual size!

Since this is a spherical map, there is a lot of distortion, especially as you get further from the equator. I'm currently working on something to minimize that. In the mean time, the Google Earth file will give you an accurate, if lower-resolution, depiction of the size of all of the landmasses. You can also use it's ruler tool to get accurate distance measurements.

Todd, I had no trouble opening the PNG file, and my Firefox add-on lets me zoom in. And the Google Earth overlays works fine (although you have to turn off the standard items in Google Earth and click the TNP map overlay to see the file (there will be nation boundaries of the real earth there but they are faint enough to not be a distraction at this point.

But the SVG download link redirects to the index page of these forums, and doesn't download.

As to request; I would want something (maybe a new island with some mountains, valleys and rivers ?) due west of the existing IDU schnauzerlands for Neu Grosseschnauzer. That will fit in the any RP history I re-develop on both the TNP and IDU forums.

And for TNP'ers who weren't around at the time. The IDU was founded by refugees from TNP at the time of Great Bight. So it's made sense that these two regions in particular would share a map.

Todd, the PNG is quite massive, so that may be part of why you got an error. As for why Grosseschnauzer is getting linked back to the forums by the SVG link, I can't say. That's truly strange.

Grosseschnauzer, were you thinking of something in the middle of that ocean, or closer to one side? And what kind of size, roughly?

Also, the region Romana has inquired about joining the project. I'll keep you all updated on what happens with that.

James2spooky:
Is there a way for us SOB to be at the underground of some nations?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. You mean, can your nation be underneath other nations? That would be up to the other nations you want to be below, I think. If you work something out there, I can work it into the map somehow.

Regarding the others who have asked for spots: Do you have a general area which you'd prefer? Or does your nation have a general climate that you want to match your location to? Do you want to be on the mainland, or a group of islands?

embolalia, an fyi, I gave you moderation powers over this subforum (Map) so feel free to do what you need to do with it.

As to your question to me earlier, an sufficiently large island for the TNP GS nation at the same latitude, and in TNP regional waters is fine. (even a new island.) Given that the original GS alone is about to top 16 billion we need room for all of those schnauzers! ;)

Oh boy! A map! Can Scandigrad get in on this?

I would like the lovely nation of Scandigrad (Depicted here)

24dld9x.png

placed in the sea directly south of Rhindon Blade.

Scandigrad, I don't see Rhindon Blade on the map or in the thread. Could you be a bit more specific?

GS, what's a sufficient size? Would you be okay with it being on the TNP mainland?

I apologize, I was going off the map in the IRC.

I'd like the unclaimed land between Jagera and Old Ceorana, and if it isn't too much effort, perhaps reshape the island into the same shape as the map I supplied. Size would remain roughly the same.

embolalia:
GS, what's a sufficient size? Would you be okay with it being on the TNP mainland?
Key is that's its at the same latitude, If we can go with the obverse shape of the Kinderliebstadt islands in the IDU, but immediately off the TNP coastline, that would be great, if it has to be on the mainland, then at area at the same latitude with coastline. :)

This idea of an island map seems like a good idea to me. Peoples empire is is moderate size but our capital is 5000 ft above sea level in the mountains

I don't have a preference as to location, but please keep in mind we have a population of 16 billion+ and growing. Also, we are seafaring folk, so we need a coastline.

Scandigrad:
I apologize, I was going off the map in the IRC.

I'd like the unclaimed land between Jagera and Old Ceorana, and if it isn't too much effort, perhaps reshape the island into the same shape as the map I supplied. Size would remain roughly the same.
Scandigrad, I need you to be in the part labeled "The North Pacific". Anywhere in that area, surrounded by the red lines.

Peoples empire, do you have any specific islands you like, or a general place you want to be?

Govindia, I've been waiting for people to post requests (and to have time to implement them). Some should start showing up soon. (Unless you're asking about nations from the old map which, as of when I started this one, were all inactive with I think the sole exception of GS.)

Grosseschnauzer, Ator, Great Bights Mum, added.

SOB would like to be marked on the map; Our territory should cover one of the highest mounts in TNP, which is the best terrain for our hunters. Preferred colour is bright yellow. Size has to be more than enough to accommodate our huge population of approximately 9B and still growing. Shape is entirely up to you the mapmaker, just be creative on it.

Thank you in advance.

If you ask me, this sounds like a fantastic idea. May I please have a spot on the map? It would be much appreciated. If possible, please put it next to a body of water or somewhat close to one.

Back