Inactive Official Removal

Felasia

TNPer
An idea to streamline the process of inactive official removal. I think it is unnecessary to required an approval to remove inactive officer, a simple notification that inactivity without prior notice should be enough.

An amendment to the constitution, new change are in blue, former text are in red.

Section 3: Miscellany

1. The Legal Code shall consist of Laws passed by the Regional Assembly and carried over by agreement from previous governing documents.
2. The Constitution and Bill of Rights shall share full, constitutional authority with all the rights and privileges that come with that authority. The Legal Code is second only to the previous in legal force. In case of conflict in wording, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights take precedence. Any and all other regulations and guidelines are lower in authority than the Legal Code unless otherwise specified.
3. All Government bodies are allowed to create rules for its own governance.
4. The Speaker of the Assembly, and the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall each be elected to 4-month terms.
5. The members of the Judiciary (including the Chief Justice) shall each be elected to 6-month terms.
6. All elections shall be held on the region's official off-site forum.
7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.
8. Election of the Speaker of the Assembly and Judiciary officials shall require a plurality vote of the Assembly,
9. Election of the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall require a majority of the votes cast by the Assembly.
10. If any elected official should fail to check into their account for two weeks without prior notice, the elected official will be automatically removed from office after it was notified to the Regional Assembly of this inactivity by any Regional Assembly member. The special election for a replacement will be held within 7 days followings the removal. the dual consent of either the Speaker, the Delegate, or the Chief Justice will commence the special election of a replacement. This replacement will fulfill the remainder of the term.

Maybe the new and old statements could be combined into a somewhat hybrid.

Maybe:

...the elected official will be automatically removed from office after it was notified to the Regional Assembly of this inactivity by any Regional Assembly member. The special election for a replacement will be held within 7 days followings the removal with dual consent of either the Speaker, the Delegate, or the Chief Justice.

@Enif: So what would happen if someone was removed and then there was no consent for a special election? Why do we need consent to replace someone automatically removed?

I think two weeks without prior notice is pretty extreme. I don't see how that doesn't merit replacement. I know if I failed to check in somewhere I have responsibilities for two whole weeks I wouldn't be expecting to still have my old job. Besides, I can't think of a reason that the Delegate/Speaker/CJ would have to keep someone on board who hasn't logged in for two weeks without prior warning other than 'he's a friend' or something like that...

Topid:
@Enif: So what would happen if someone was removed and then there was no consent for a special election? Why do we need consent to replace someone automatically removed?
If there was no consent for a special election, then there must be a reason for why consent was not given, which would need to be addressed before moving on. This is why we would look for consent in the first place.

One reason why the period is not that short at present is because there are times when everything slows to a crawl; no one is around, and one has to be concerned if two head officials happen to be absent at the same time.
I won't support an "automatic" clause for that reason, there has to be a check and balance for unforeseen emergencies where "prior" notice wasn't possible. What if someone send word to a government official away from the forums during the time period involved? If you don't think that's possible. ask Blackshear. That's how his first Delegacy early in our history came to an end.

And we have to keep in mind that things do happen that impede communications, or cause loss of power for extended periods, or cause an outage of a server that preclude internet access.

We've more or less have set up a series of provisions to permit the designated back-up and successors to step in in case of absence, we really do not need to mess around with this. There's no evidence that the Speaker Pro Tempore, the Vice Delegate, and the ability of the Court to appoint temporary judicial officers isn't sufficient to fill temporary absences. And if there's a problem with those provisions, I'm more than ready to find ways to address them. But at the moment, there's no evidence that is a problem.

I think it is not a good idea to accept the existence of slow period. It only encourage the idea that TNP seems to alway be inactive and in need of a "coup" to stir up activity which everyone have to admit had been a constant problem around here.

What if someone send word to a government official away from the forums during the time period involved?

I do not understand what you are trying to said? If the official is still in contact with others then he would try send a notice of his problem through the contact, right?

And we have to keep in mind that things do happen that impede communications, or cause loss of power for extended periods, or cause an outage of a server that preclude internet access.

Wouldn't this kind of extended situation in which the official is incapacitated means the need for new and active official is needed? Government official role is to serve the region so I am confident that every elected official wouldn't be so hang up on maintaining their position against the region best interest. Also, I highly doubt that anyone wouldn't be able to get on the Internet for more then 2 weeks in this age.

In the past, TNP had always been so relax about the lack of activity within the government. I think this act can help shape new attitude amongst us and encourage elected official to step up on their work even in the face of slow period.

The real problem is the communications one. I don't this this proposal can resolve that, and we have a technical problem with the PM system (from what Elu tells me) that requires a rewritten code to fix. The PM system stopped working correctly because Zetaboards made a change in its coding. I believe Elu plans to raise this in a thread i the Tecnology area so check there as a FYI on that issue.

I've beenin this region a long time, and the inactivity is more a communications issue than anything else. There are certain assumptions that this proposal is based upon that in my experience here does not work. Namely that one can force logs ins through rigid and strictly held logging in requirements. It doesn't work.
We're hampered in that even the TGs at NS no longer trigger e-mail notifications so we're lacking several tools that would be better solutions to this issue.

If communication is the real problem, I think TNP wouldn't have so many problem with inactivity and coup on these past few years. It's quite clear that even during the time that PM system work, the problem continue to exist throughout TNP history so I will have to respectfully disagree with you here.

I may not have been in TNP as continuously as you and many people, but I have lurk around long enough to merit some opinions. TNP have always been so lax on this kind of situation on long absence which create a kind of bad presumption that public official can get away with it. I firmly believe that this is the kind of thought that must change. This might sound tense and too serious for a game, but player that suddenly doesn't show up for 2 weeks should allow someone else to have a chance in my opinion.

Here's an idea that may address the actual issue with the RA: a TNPRA twitter account, that the Speaker controls and encourages people to sub to. Then people can get alerts to their phones even, should they want it.

I could certainly do that, but how many of us actually play twitter anyway? (I did, but I didn't know if anyone else does.)

Besides, I think this fall more into communication method and in my opinion is not as much of a problem as each personal view on how much inactivity is acceptable.

My personal view is that we shouldn't go around looking to punish people for inactivity. That is quite likely to have the opposite effect.

I wouldn't call relieving public official who have been inactive for two weeks without prior notification as a punishment. In my opinion, it is an opportunity to allow other who are interest in working for the region to step up.

Back