GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION: On Entheogens Legalization Act [Complete] [Complete]

Vilnoia1

TNPer
On Entheogens Legalization Act:

Description: The General Assembly,

Recognizing that the consumption of substances that alter the functioning of the mind or body is common practice in many religious groups and

Aware that many member states prohibit certain substances because of their negative health effects or their potential to be abused yet

Convinced that people should be allowed freely to practice their religions, hereby

Declares the following:

Article 1: Definitions

1. An intoxicant is any substance that, when consumed, affects the functioning of the mind or body resulting in changes in perception, emotion, mood, consciousness, cognition, or behavior. Intoxicants, such as alcoholic beverages, often are used recreationally.

2. A religion is a set of beliefs and practices observed by a group of people who worship what they consider a divine power or divine powers; a religion is based on a body of teachings, or doctrine.

3. The definitions of this article are only for the purposes of this resolution.

Article 2: Use of Intoxicants in Religious Rites

1. It shall be legal in all member states and international territory for members of organized religious groups that have verifiable histories of using intoxicants in religious practices to consume such intoxicants in the context of practicing the rituals of such religions.

2. The production, purchase, sale, trade, transport, and possession of intoxicants intended for use by religious communities in such rituals as described in Section 1 of this article shall be legal.

3. It shall be illegal for religious groups to coerce people to use intoxicants.

Article 3: Compliance and Enforcement

1. All member states shall make good faith efforts to abide by the provisions of this resolution. Because there is a potential for abuse, member states may enact domestic legislation to ensure that people do not exploit this resolution in attempts to circumvent domestic laws concerning the recreational consumption of intoxicants.

2. The Entheogens Oversight Commission (EOC) is established and tasked with compiling a database which shall contain a list of organized religious groups that have histories of using intoxicants in religious practices and the specific intoxicants used by such religious groups. This database also should contain descriptions of the manners in which such intoxicants are used by specific religious groups.

3. The EOC is empowered to settle disputes arising under this resolution. Any religious group within the jurisdiction of the World Assembly may petition this commission.

Article 4: Recreational Drug Use

This resolution does not affect domestic laws concerning the recreational consumption of intoxicants.

Voting Ends: in 2 days 10 hours (from time of this post).

Yet another flawed resolution being brought before the World Assembly.

How, might you ask?

What about the freedom of religion for those faiths that prohibit the use of intoxicants and those national governments that choose to respect those religious beliefs as part of their national laws?

I can see why some nations would object in strong terms to the language of this resolution because it is disrespectful of their national religious customs and practices.

I haven't decided how I shall personally vote, but I do believe this one has problems in how it was drafted.

Thank you for posting this V1. I apologize for missing the last vote.

This one has received the most negative response of any WA resolution during my time in office.

I voted against.

<b>Voting on this resolution has ended.</b>

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back