Election Notifications

OPArsenal

TNPer
Nominations for the Judiciary have ended and I didn't even know that they had started. I'm almost positive that other RA members (the "demo" in our democracy, as James splendidly put it) did not know.

Is it possible for our Internal Commisariat (or whatever) to send a mass PM to all the RA members? Or even the Voting Booth.

Would other RA members find this helpful, or was I the only tool that didn't know what was going on?

These elections DO NEED THE PUBLICITY they deserve, because I myself didn't even know there was nomination for special election for vice delegate position, until after 4 days it has passed. I bet OPA has missed it entirely as I have nominated him but he didn't read it, which could possibly make the special election slightly different and a whole lot more interesting if he did and accepted it.

Our beloved delegate has done a great job updating the TNP's factbook but can still put more effort in posting about it in RMB everyday she logs in, or he. I would appreciate if someone in the forum who is responsible could also send mass PMs to all RA members as suggested above by OPA.

The only way to send out mass PMs is to use the multi-user feature in the PM system.
One of the unavoidable technical limitations of the Zetaboards platform is that there is no way to notify users of new PMs by e-mail. We have the same limitation as to the TG at NS.net.
We really don't have any tools to get people to log into the forums or to NS. It's unfortunate. Another problem this time of year is that a lot of people travel for "spring break," and this next week or the week after involve RL regilious holidays.
I don't know how widespread the problems are this year, but there's been a lot of severe weather involving high winds and tornadoes in the U.S. In some areas there have been widespread power line outages, and more such weather is expected this coming weekend in the U.S.
The best bet is using PMs. I'm not sure what the addressee limit is, but it should be possible to contact all RA members (remembering that there are quite a few RA members with other masks). That's something the Communications folks, the Voting Booth or the Speaker can do.

My apologies for not making more publicity on the Special Election for Vice Delegate. I have done both mass-PM and RMB post during the Special Election for Delegate, but I was quite busy with RL at that moment and totally forgot to make sure that their was enough notification for everyone to participated in the election.

In fact, I missed the VD (tee-hee) nominations, but I did get to vote in the election. Felasia, thank you for your reply and I don't want you to think that I was trying to call you on the carpet or anything. It's been a long time since I cared about an election here and I didn't know what the notification procedures are.

First off, I'm not a she. Secondly, doing a better job letting everyone know what's going on will definitely be a goal of mine moving forward. I've tried to keep the WFE up-to-date but obviously there is more I can do.

Thanks for bringing this up OP.

Even before my first set of terms as Speaker, there had been an off- and on- debate over how much of a responsibility government officials had and have to make sure the RA members were made aware of what was going on. Some people took the view, and still do that the burden should be on the individual member to log in and check. My view, which I followed when I held the Speakership and when I headed the government under the last Constitution as Prime Minister, is that every effort should be made to remind them of what was going on; oeioke do have real lifes, and it isn't always reasonable to assume that every one of them had time to log into NS and here 24 hours a day.
We're more limited in what we can do since the means no longer exists to use e-mail notification of PMs to get people to log in and check what is going on. That's unfortunate, but as I mentioned a few months back, it's a Zetaboard coding issue beyond our control and until and unless they change it, that is not something we can rely on as we once did.
It may be we need to be clearer with applicants to the RA, in particular, about how and when we can remind them to check the RA and other forums; but in the meantime we should use the news banner here, the RMB, and whatever is at our disposal to help let people know. The one thing we have no control over is when people actually log in to these forums or at NS. If anyone has a workable idea on how to manage that, please let us know!

I don't get a pop-up on my phone (go fig). James, are you using Firefox with Ad Block Plus? iirc, ABP blocked my PM notification pop-ups.

Back