Special Election - Delegate

Felasia

TNPer
Dalimbar has resigned from the office of Delegate. In accordance with the North Pacific Legal Code and Constitution, the special elections for the Delegate are to be held immediately.

Elected official shall remain for the rest of the term.

"Vacancy" in an office or position occurs when the holder of an elected office or position resigns, is removed, abandons, or is recalled. Vacancies are filled through a special election unless an special election cannot be completed prior to the beginning of the general or judicial election cycle; or in all cases pending an election, however, a vacancy may be temporarily filled as provided by the Constitution, the Legal Code, or by rule adopted by the appropriate body.
Special Elections

1. A special election shall be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position in accordance with this Law. A special election cycle shall last for no more than fourteen days, which must be completed prior to the beginning of the next election cycle for the vacated office or position.
2. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election shall last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy occurs or is noticed.
4. Voting shall begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for five days.
5. In all instances, a plurality shall determine who is elected to fill a vacancy. In the event of a tie, the Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall cast a tie-breaking vote.

The nominations started on Thursday 17th March 2011 at 2.27 PM (GMT+7) and end on 22th March 2011 at 2.27 PM (GMT+7)

The candidates for WA Delegate are as follows:

Blackshear

I thought vice delegate automatically replace the delegate if there is a vacancy..do we have to waste nations' money and time on several elections later since we have to run another special election for vice delegate? Why not just have ONE special election for vice delegate instead of 2 special elections (or more if other position became vacant after the special election of the vice delegate)? :P

Ok, I 'third' the nomination of Blackshear for the position of TNP WA Delegate.

Hmmm, that sounds too streamlined. We should create a council to weigh in on this... Thank you for the suggestion James2Spooky.

I support Blackshear's nomination. :bs:

James, the previous constitution had that succession provision; this constitution went the special election route, since the elected term was longer. What this constitution provides is that short of a vacancy, the Vice Delegate can exercise the duties of the Delegate when the Delegate is absent or goes inactive in various ways. That is why Blackshear is acting as Delegate until the special election.

Felasia:
I thought so too, but the constitution specifically said we need another election so here it is.
It's a good thing we cleared up the Election Law before the last general election; the special election procedures were muddled before then, and we can get it over with faster.

Enif supports the nation Blackshear41 for delegate of The North Pacific.

Edit: And long time no see, TNP forums. I see I have been removed from the regional assembly, so disregard my vote if necessary.

Nomination is now closed.

The candidates for the office of WA Delegate is as follow:

Blackshear

Confirmation vote will begin one day after this.

Back