FD: Law 30 on the Security Council

Felasia

TNPer
Proposed by Grosseschnauzer

Sponsored by Blackshear and Felasia

Link to Preliminary Discussion

Amendment of Law 30 are as shown with (red strikeout indicates deletion; blue boldface indicates addition)

TNP LAW 30
The Security Council Regulation Act

Section One: Requirements

1. Members of the Security Council (Council) shall maintain an influence level equal to or greater than Vassal.
2. Members of the Council shall maintain an endorsement level within the range described in this Section.
A. The minimum level is defined as being either
of at least (1) 50 endorsements, or (2) fifty per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count.
B. The maximum level is defined as being either (1) that number of endorsements that is 20 fewer than the serving Delegate’s endorsement count, or (2) and no more than eighty-five percent of said count.
C. Where the computation results in fractions, the count shall be rounded down.
D. The authorized range is to be applied in a reasonable manner, taking into account such factors as the handover transition between elected Delegates, the recall of an elected Delegate from office, or periods of Delegate inactivity.
3. Should Council members not meet or exceed the required endorsement level for a period of five at least fifteen days, the Vice Delegate is required to act pursuant to Section Two of this Law.
4. The elected and legitimate Delegate is exempt from endorsement requirements.

Section Two: Enforcement

1. The Vice Delegate may remove suspend members of the Council who violate the endorsement and influence level requirements of this Act. Suspension takes places if, after a warning by the Vice Delegate, a Council member fails to come into compliance with the endorsement and influence level requirements within a reasonable amount of time specified in the warning, which is usually fifteen days.
2. The Vice Delegate may remove members of the Council whose World Assembly nation no longer exists or no longer resides in The North Pacific, resigns from the World Assembly (except as part of a formal redesignation of a resident World Assembly member nation within The North Pacific), or lose their membership (unless exempted) in the Regional Assembly.
3. The Vice Delegate shall report any suspension or removal of members of the Council to the Regional Assembly in accordance with Article V, Section 3 of the Constitution.
4. Should a suspended member of the Council comes back into compliance with the endorsement and influence level requirements of this Act, the Vice Delegate shall reinstate the Council member.
5. A majority of the Council may vote to determine that the continued membership in the Council of a Council member poses a Security Risk to The North Pacific and shall submit such determination to the Regional Assembly for approval to remove that member from the Council. The Speaker shall submit the determination to an immediate vote of the Regional Assembly; approval shall require a two-thirds supermajority vote.

I'm pleased that the proposal seems to reflect the consensus reached during preliminary discussions.

When the SC was first proposed a little more than two years ago, we were working in unchartered territory. The Influence system had not been in place for very long, and the original proposal could not fully reflect any full understanding of the influence computations.

Now that there's been that extended period of experience with the Security Council as well as the in-game influence system, I think we've been able to refine the provisions concerning the Security Council to sufficiently reflect those factors and assure it will be workable going forward.

And of course, the SC will still have the authority to recommend changes in the minimum and maximum endorsement levels when they as a body find that to be warranted.

It's look good to me as well, but I will wait until Sunday before moving this to vote in case anyone want to add their thought.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the Speaker and the Vice Delegate for their work in bringing about the adoption of these constructive changes to the Security Council's procedures and requirements.

We've had to work on this issue several times since the creation of the current Security Council system, but creating something that had no precedent within TNP while adapting it to changes that impacted all of the Nationstates world was a process of trial and error.

I believe though that this time we got it right and the institution is in a much better framework to sustain itself without further major revisions.

I hope those long-time nations of The North Pacific who are eligible will now seek membership in the Security Council and enhance the homeregion security of TNP. I will be among those who would support exemptions from RA membership requirements for those stalwart and trusted nations who are willing to help in the Security Council, but who desire to stay out of the day-to-day affairs of our home region.

Again, thank you to the Speaker and the Vice Delegate, and to those members of the RA who voted to support these sensible changes to Law 30.

Back