Grosseschnauzer for Delegate

This almost happened in the last general election, but I expected things to come along better than they have.

I'm in some ways a reluctant candidate for the office of Delegate. But I have to be rightly concerned about how the incumbents in the office have met their responsibilities to the region over the last year or two, and to me, it is important to cherish the community that is The North Pacific, and to make sure it can function without the drama and distraction that comes when Delegates function as part-time officeholders.

Is the current system here too cumbersome? That's hard to say. The important thing that sometimes gets lost in the fog of the moment is that this region long ago make the conscious decision to be a region of democracy, and that those elected to serve this community including the Delegate have an paramount obligation to respect the region's will as reflected in the decisions and actions of the institutions this community has chosen to create; and to respect the decision that community makes even where an individual might have preferred some other outcome.

I have served this region as a minister, as head of the courts and the legislature and as prime minister under the last constitution. I have also served this community as a global moderator and as an administrator of its official forums. And one of my puppets served four terms as a Delegate for a founded region that at one time was one of the most active and successful in the NSUN era. One of the problems we face, and need to address can be summed up in one sentence. Can we get the trains running on time?

This really should not be the issue. But if one boils down what has been going on over the past couple of years, that is in fact the issue. I also respect the decisions made collectively by the region under the system(s) we as a community have adopted, and even where my personal choices would have been different. But I stand for Delegate aware more than most of the concerns we face, and the need for constructive work to address those concerns and move forward.

So I now feel that my obligation of service to The North Pacific requires that I offer myself as a candidate for Delegate. What will I accomplish if I am elected? I can promise that the "trains will run on time." I can promise to serve as the leader of the executive of the government, and to work with the Regional Assembly in a constructive way to seek out those solutions we need to re-invigorate the community and to encourage everyone to keep an open mind in the debates we need to have to move forward.

I think I have shown throughout my time in The North Pacific that I care deeply for the survival and growth of this community and its democratic principles. As Delegate, I will not waiver from that course. And for these reasons, I do something I never, ever, thought I would do. I seek to serve The North Pacific as its next Delegate.

In addition to what I've said above, I'll let the voters in the R.A. ask the questions that they want answered, take aim and fire!

Obviously, if I am elected as Delegate, I would resign as Chief Justice. Justices cannot hold other offices.

There are some active RA members who have served on the Court in the past, so I don't think the chair would stay vacant.

I'm reading the discussions in the candidate threads of the others running for Delegate, and rather than hijack their threads, I'm just going to point out a few things.

First, unless either of my opponents, I do not have a credibility problem in terms of how I have served TNP in the past. I've always been straightforward about how I approach things. And I have put in the effort to accomplish the various things I've said in the past I would aim to do. As Delegate, I would not approach this any differently. People won't have to wonder where I am and whether I'll get something done or not. Whenever there has been the slightest possibility of an absence I've let folks know on the forum. So when I say "I will make sure the trains run on time," that is what I am referring to. Making sure the details and tasks as Delegate are fully addressed, and encourage an atmosphere of inclusion and participation. If they're honest about it, no one can really do a good job as Delegate all by themselves. No one can be a successful Delegate by ignoring the TNP community. They've been based here for a long time (five years plus) because this forum has best reflected the wants and needs of the regional community, and as an Admin I plan to keep it that way.

Second, as was the case when I headed the government as Prime Minister in the last Constitution, I am willing to work with those who are in office to accomplish common goals. We probably need, as a region, to discuss what positions are needed in a Cabinet to make the TNP of today work effectively. I want to assure a more lively forum on the one hand, and have a lively RMB on the other. I don't know whether the "new" NS forums are a good thing or not. I've been too busy with this forum as an Admin, and holding office much of the time to really wander elsewhere.

Third, I think I can safely say that I've been around TNP long enough to understand where we've been, what we've experienced, and what we've chosen as the foundations of our regional community. I embrace the democratic principles that this community has time and again risen up to support whenever they've been challenged by "rogue" Delegates. I also understand that a perfect system is not just next to impossible, it is impossible, and we have to understand how to address the flaws when they arise. But I will not abandon my firm belief in letting the entire regional community make decisions about the community, and to protect those principles that this community has embraced. These are things that I believe any elected Delegate should follow with any hesitation. I think my track record shows that I have followed this path consistently, and I think anyone who knows me and my history knows that I will do that as the elected Delegate.

Grosseschnauzer:
Second, as was the case when I headed the government as Prime Minister in the last Constitution, I am willing to work with those who are in office to accomplish common goals. We probably need, as a region, to discuss what positions are needed in a Cabinet to make the TNP of today work effectively. I want to assure a more lively forum on the one hand, and have a lively RMB on the other. I don't know whether the "new" NS forums are a good thing or not. I've been too busy with this forum as an Admin, and holding office much of the time to really wander elsewhere.
Two questions to the candidate based on this paragraph:

1) As all three of my NS personas (or at least I used to treat each of them as a different persona) I have just over 2000 posts on the new forum since April '09 when it was added. What role exactly would you think TNP might play a role there, or what did you mean by referencing it. [Three nations I mentioned were: Topid , Daynor, and TannerFrankLand]

2) I realize the desire to consult the region directly on what cabinet positions are needing, but saying 'I'll have to talk to the region once elected' has always seemed like a way to skirt a tough question to me (not trying to be rude, just honest). In your personal opinion, what should the cabinet look like?

[Just trying to throw in questions to candidates when I see an opportunity since there haven't been a great deal of them so far.]

1) As all three of my NS personas (or at least I used to treat each of them as a different persona) I have just over 2000 posts on the new forum since April '09 when it was added. What role exactly would you think TNP might play a role there, or what did you mean by referencing it. [Three nations I mentioned were: Topid , Daynor, and TannerFrankLand]

I have not dealt with the new NS forums, and my experience with the old Jolt forums was through another region, and mostly on resolutions which I sponsored or co-sponsored. My approach on those things tends to be democratic and not bureaucratic; and that reflects my openness on the matter. The new NS forums have not been a topic of discussion here, or on the RMB (as far as I know). My primary responsibility as to forums is here, as an admin, and not there, so I haven't had much reason to form an opinion on them one way or another. So I think it does make more sense to have a community input about it, and see what emerges from that discussion.

2) I realize the desire to consult the region directly on what cabinet positions are needing, but saying 'I'll have to talk to the region once elected' has always seemed like a way to skirt a tough question to me (not trying to be rude, just honest). In your personal opinion, what should the cabinet look like?

As long as I can remember to my first days in TNP and NS, the composition of the Cabinet has been a divisive issues in some form or another. Since the feedback I've seen during this past Delegate term suggests a level of unhappiness about there been no Cabinet whatsoever (and in past terms, there has been a level of unhappiness on the Cabinet being too large) I don't know if there is a happy medium on this point; but it's been over three years (at the time the current Constitution was being drafted) since there's been a discussion about it. About the only point of agreement is that the Attorney General should be independent of the Cabinet and placed in the judiciary (which has been done.)
One of the reasons for the current flexible structure has been the constant amount of change in the perceptions of what is needed in terms of structuring the Executive Branch. I don't think it is healthy for encouraging participation to have these sudden changes at least once every four months after each election. But on the other hand, we do need some sort of consensus in order to minimize that constant change, and make it easier for citizens to get involved. I've been in the hot seat as Prime Minister under the last Constitution trying to work out this sort of middle course, and those efforts were only partially successful. The size of the Cabinet was reduced at the time, but many thought that any reduction was more than it should have been, and others thought it wasn't enough of a shrinkage. That experience leads me to conclude that the community has to sort this out collectively and not by the Delegate individually.

Back