Ethics in International Trade[Archived]

unibot

TNPer
Ethics in International Trade
A resolution to develop industry around the world.
Category: Advancement of Industry | Area of Effect: Protective Tariffs | Proposed by: Unibotian WA Mission

The General Assembly,

Recognizing that an economic disincentive will discourage extreme risks (see c.1) to national populations,

1. Imposes an ethical and ad valorem tariff on any imported good that features one or several of the following criteria:

Said imported goods were manufactured, recovered or generated by those (excluding non-sentient employees, ex. Automata) who do not have,
1.a) The capacity to complete the workload of their occupation, while continuing to actively pursue an education and/or remain in a dignified state of mental and physical health;
1.b) An entitlement to,
• Clean water, sanitation and/or nutrition;
• Assured security --while at their workplace-- from violence, rape, abuse, poisoning and torture from people related to their workplace;
• Sleep, recovery, leisure and rest;
• Fair and just remuneration for the work they provide (unless their work is voluntary and entered into without being pressured, mislead or coerced), that will ensure them and their dependents a dignified existence, if no social protection exists for them otherwise;

2.a) Declares that the set percentage of an ad valorem tariff on each specific imported good’s market value (relevant to c.1), shall be decided by the International Trade Administration (ITA), with consideration from input by any nation or commercial entity;
2.b) Requires the ITA to also consider the following details of each product and their source when finalizing the set percentage:
• The product’s fulfillment of the aforementioned criteria that were stipulated in c.1;
• The source’s current economic strength and development and its reasonable capacity to provide laborers with the rights, entitlements and securities that were stipulated in c.1;
• The competitiveness of the international market, concerning said product;
• The market value and demand for said product;
• Price elasticity of demand, and consumer necessities for said product;
• Any existing past transgressions by the source, regarding attempted circumvention of tariffs;
2.c) Reaffirms that the ITA can rule a zero-percentage of a product's market value as being an acceptable tariff if their considerations (ex. necessity goods) suggest that a robust tariff would be unethical and/or unfair;

3.a) Affirms the freedom of all nations, as well as corporate or commercial entities to request an appeal for any decision made by the ITA;
3.b) Further Affirms the duty of the ITA to consider any legitimate request for an appeal, and in a timely fashion, reevaluate the contested decision;
3.c) Entrusts the ITA with the duty to store all collections from this ethical tariff in the 'WA Humanitarian Fund' for allocation (without running a deficit) to the various social justice and humanitarian programs of the World Assembly;

4. Obligates all member-nations -- within their own borders -- to make a coordinated effort to report to the World Assembly and prevent any distribution and/or sale of goods that have circumvented this ethical tariff, or otherwise were in the process of circumvention.

It comes to vote in about 80 minutes. If any one has any concerns, I found this proposal to be extremely efficient at creating myths about itself -- so maybe I can demyth the resolution for you.

I'm troubled by the concept of tariffs to impose ethics. Tariffs to enforce stated objective measures of workplace safety, health, wage and other stated standards, but a vague "ethics" standard isn't such a good ides.

Against.

Grosseschnauzer:
I'm troubled by the concept of tariffs to impose ethics. Tariffs to enforce stated objective measures of workplace safety, health, wage and other stated standards, but a vague "ethics" standard isn't such a good ides.

Against.
The ethics are pretty concrete they're explained in the resolution.

Against. I can't support Tariffs imposed over the soveriegnty of individual nations.

The sovereignty of nations isn't affected, you still have the ability to implement any tariff you like. I notice no one ever claims "national sovereignty" when free trade proposals impose free-market principles on nations.

Back