FD: Constitutional Amendment to Election Law

Grimalkin

TNPer
As proposed by Gracius Maximus:

Article I: Stipulations

Section 3: Miscellany

7. Candidates for these elected officialses must be members of the Regional Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.  The 30 day requirement must be a least one grouping of a consecutive 30 days at any point during which this constitution has been in effect.

This proposal is now in formal discussion.

I would prefer to get rid of the 30 days requirement entirely.

This sets up an elite of people, that you have to wait 30 days to join, but they can come back at any time and run.

I disagree.

What the 30 day limit provides is at least a guarantee of the minimal level of activity required to maintain a nation through two deletion cycles within NationStates, which implies that said nation can be trusted to remain active into the future.

Obviously, that is no guarantee but it is something.

Also, in my opinion, it is good to have a nation take part in the regional governance at the base level, in this instance the Regional Assembly, for some period of time prior to seeking elected office within it.

If a new nation started swapping at 2 days of age, joined the Regional Assembly at 28 days of age and did so just before an election cycle occured would most people be comfortable with this nation running for Delegate?

If anyone wants a RL example as to why the 30 Day requirement is there, just google "Alvin Greene: "South Carolina" "U. S. Senator" and "Democrat."

One just can't make this stuff up as well as real life manages to do every so often.

Back