FD: The Due Process Act

Grimalkin

TNPer
As proposed by Eluvatar.

A Bill to Amend the Constitution of the North Pacific and to enact a Law

Section One

1. Article I, Section 3, Clause 3 of the North Pacific Constitution shall be amended:
amendment:
3. All Government bodies are allowed to create rules for its their own governance.
2. The clauses of Section 3 following Clause 3 shall be renumbered to start from 5 instead of 4.
3. A new Clause 4 shall be inserted following Clause 3.
insertion:
4. Such rules must not contradict the Constitution or Legal Code.

Section Two

A Law shall be added to the Legal Code.
Due Process Act:
Due Process Act

I Arrest
A. Dire Risk Arrest

1. An official empowered to arrest may arrest any nation the official directly observes in the act of committing a crime under the Legal Code.

B. Warrant

1. An official empowered by the Delegate to arrest may, when there are no more than 5 nations under arrest, request a Warrant (including the desired nature of the arrest) by filing the request together with reasoning and evidence.
   2. If the official has identified the nation as the pseudonym of a convict or an agent of a hostile foreign power and if the nation is not in the Assembly, the Warrant request will supply evidence thereof, and state that it does not lead to a separate trial, nor count toward the number of arrested nations.
   3. The first Justice to respond to the request who does not recuse themselves shall decide whether to approve or deny it.
   4. Should no Justice respond within 24 hours, the request shall be considered approved.
   5. Only Arrested nations may be ejected or banned.

C Report

1. Upon the arrest of any nation, the arresting official must report the arrest, including precise time.
   2. If the Warrant does not specify otherwise, the official must also file a Complaint against the arrested nation.

II Complaints
A. Filing

1. The Court will keep a Docket of Complaints.
   2. Any citizen may file a civil Complaint against any other citizen.
   3. Any citizen may file a legal Complaint against TNP for an illegal action.
   4. Officials empowered by the Delegate to do so and the Attorney General may file a criminal Complaint against any citizen.

B. Defining Sides

1. In a civil Complaint, the two involved citizens are the two sides.
   2. In a legal Complaint, the citizen filing the Complaint and the TNP governmental branch as represented by the official whose actions are the subject of the complaint are the two sides.
   3. In a criminal Complaint, TNP as represented by the Attorney General and the nation which is the subject of the Complaint are the two sides.

III Trial
A. Judge Selection

1. Upon receiving a Complaint, active Justices who can try a case must enter their name into the available Justice list that they can try it, noting the date of Complaint of the last case they took on or the date they took office, whichever came last.
   2. Between 24 and 48 hours of the Complaint, the Chief Justice shall assign the case to that available Justice who has been Justice longest without trying a case.
   3. If no Justices are available, the Chief Justice shall select an assembly member to try the case.

B. Discovery

1. In a criminal case, the Judge will appoint a reserve Counsel to argue for the Defense should no other Counsel be available.
   2. The Judge will set an appropriate due date for the two Sides to Discover all evidence and present it to the Judge and the other side.
   3. The two Sides must also present an ordered list of Counsel representing them.
   4. The two Sides must also state what witnesses they may call.
   5. The Judge may reject evidence which cannot be attested to by any person or has no bearing on the trial.

C. Trial

1. The Judge shall set 5 dissimilar possible dates, noting time and place, to hold the trial.
   2. Each side of the case may reject 2 dates.
   3. The first date not rejected by either side will be used.
   4. The Judge shall preside over the Trial and repeated violation of their procedures is Contempt of Court.
   5. The Judge may select a limited number of Counsel to be permitted to speak: that many of present Counsel on each side selected in order of the list filed during Discovery shall be permitted to speak.
   6. The Judge shall determine which side speaks first, and shall ensure that each side has equal time to present their arguments.
   7. Each side will have the right to cross-examine each witness of the opposing side.
   8. Counsel held in Contempt may be disbarred by the Judge, forbidding them from representing anyone but themselves in future cases.
   9. Defendants or Counsel held in Contempt may be sentenced by the Judge to suspension from the Assembly or banning from the region, for a duration not to exceed one month, beginning at the conclusion of the trial.
  10. If at the end of the allotted time the Trial is incomplete, the Judge may adjourn and set a date to continue in the proscribed manner.
  11. If the Judge finds it necessary, they may hand over the case to a Justice who agrees to take the case.
  12. After closing the Trial, the Judge will have 2 days to compose a Verdict and Sentence or Remedy.
  13. If the Verdict is that the defendant is guilty, the Judge may assign a reasonable sentence carried out through the in-game power of the Delegate and/or through denial of membership in the Regional Assembly.
  14. In a criminal case, if the accused is found guilty they will be convicted and are no longer arrested.
  15. The government of TNP will enforce any Sentence or Remedy.

IV. Appeal

1. In a criminal case, either side may appeal the Verdict within 7 days of the end of the trial.
   2. In an Appeal, all the Justices may vote until 14 days after the end of the trial.
   3. A majority may decide to hold a new trial (once), to reverse the verdict, or to modify the Sentence or Remedy.

V. State of Emergency
A. Declaration

1. The Delegate may declare a State of Emergency, effective immediately, whenever the region is in an immediate and evident danger, unless forbidden.
   2. During a State of Emergency, the Speaker, CLO, Security Council, and Assembly will review the declaration.
   3. The Declaration of a State of Emergency will initiate immediate votes for three days in the above listed bodies on whether to keep it and whether to forbid the Delegate from Declaring it again.
   4. The decision of the Speaker or the vote of any above listed body may end a State of Emergency and may also forbid the Delegate to reinvoke it until the Assembly passes a Resolution to end the interdiction or a new Delegate is elected.
  5. Should a State of Emergency be kept, any of the listed bodies may at any time begin another such vote.
  6. The Delegate may revoke a State of Emergency at any time while it is active.
  7. Any vote that may result in forbidding the delegate from declaring a State of Emergency shall continue even if the Delegate has revoked the State of Emergency.

B. Effects

1. The requirement of a Warrant to arrest nations not in the Assembly shall be suspended.
   2. Each arrest must still be recorded publicly, identifying the reasons and presenting evidence.

Section Three

1. If passed by a three-quarters vote Sections One and Two shall be enacted immediately.
2. If passed by a majority vote Section Two shall be enacted immediately.

This proposal is now in Formal Discussion.

Item 2 of Section 1 should read:
4. Such rules must not contradict the Constitution, Bill of Rights, or Legal Code.
Agreed. Good catch.

EDIT: Added further responses.

As one that hardly ever uses IRC at all I can say that I will vehemently oppose any such stipulation.

Trials, even when few and infrequent, should be a matter of public record.  The forum provides for that much more readily than IRC, in my opinion.

The link that you reference brings up the same points I am making, that the Interim Court Rules should be re-addressed.

I have not checked but will this bill offset every other provision in the Legal Code smoothly or will there be loopholes and possibly conflicting legal statutes in regards to how the existing laws are handled?  Most specifically in reference to TNP Laws 22 and 27 and the Bill of Rights, but that is not exhaustive.

In regards to the Attorney General from your earlier response, I suggested that the AG Office prepare rules to be submitted to the Regional Assembly, not that the office be granted carte blanc to set up any rules or regulations it sees fit.  As it stands currently, the AG is restricted to work within the rules that are established in TNP Law 31 as those "rules adopted by the Court" which would imply that currently the Court can adopt its own rules.  I know that when I served as Chief Justice it was the understanding at the time that the Court created its own internal structure.

Perhaps this could simply be modified into a joint activity between the Court and the AGs office, thereby providing for the possibility of two entities within the Justice Dept working on restructuring the Interim Court Rules instead of one that is frequently absent because of an empty docket.

This bill does not require Judges to hold trials on IRC; it does however require trials to occur at a specific time. The Judge would have the power to choose how to hold the trial.

Laws 22 and 27 are unaffected but you are right in that law 31 should be amended. I will add the appropriate stipulation:
alteration:
2) The Attorney General is to work following procedure set by Law and the rules adopted by the Court.

I have little faith at the moment in the ability of the Court and Attorney General's office to accomplish any reform. I also believe that due process should be regulated by the regional legislature as a whole and not just the Court. Perhaps my bill goes into too much detail, and parts of it can be left to the Court to settle, but this seemed the only appropriate solution when I was drafting it.

This bill splits into several portions, some of which I believe to require the legislative power of the Regional Assembly, and some of which could be replaced with (possibly different) rules in the Judiciary.

Parts that must be in law:
  1. Arrest procedure -- as it grants the government the power to act against nations in the North Pacific without/before a trial. I do not believe this can or should be something the Court can regulate.
  2. State of Emergency alteration of Arrest procedure -- again, it grants the government powers that the Regional Assembly is empowered to grant or not grant, not the Court.
  3. The Judge is given a new limited power to punish for Contempt of court. Contempt would not, otherwise, be a crime.

Parts that can be in rules:
  1. Judge selection and Trial procedure.
  2. Appeal procedure.
Both of these could be regulated by the Court. It hasn't.

There are some details that this proposal would still leave to the court:
  1. The Court still chooses who tries the case.
  2. The Judge still makes the actual selection of when and where to possibly try the trial.
  3. The Judge still controls who speaks and when.

Also:

3. If no Justices are available, the Chief Justice shall select an assembly member to try the case.

Does this include the Chief Justice as well? I only ask because the previous clauses indicate the Chief Justice passing the trial off to one of the other Justices but do not mention the CJ him/herself trying the case.

Just checking because if the CJ is removed from the rotation altogether I can't really see a need for a CJ at all if the RA is going to be setting up the rules and managing trial conduct.

Yes, the Chief Justice is a Justice. If this is unclear I suppose I can amend the text.

I would agree with GM concerning IRC trials, and would say that in the very least any proceedings held on irc ought to have their full transcripts published on the forum.

Of course proceedings should be published. Reviewing the bill, this isn't stated, so I shall add it.

My objections/concerns are linked below from what was an ongoing discussion regarding this proposal.  Shall we assume that proposals will now be heading directly to the floor without completion of preliminary discussion?

How is Preliminary Discussion "completed"? If through opposition one can keep discussion going indefinitely, then it is impossible to pass legislation without consensus. Now, this may be desirable but it is not the intent of our system.

This has sat in Preliminary Discussion for an exceedingly long time. I think it was time it moved to Formal Discussion. It need not go to a vote immediately, but I definitely think that we should be able to get an up or down vote on this within the next few weeks.

I would advise, for logistical reasons, that we vote on this and the other bill simultaneously, to make it easier to attempt to achieve quorum.

I would just like to note that neither bill will be moved to vote until the Regional Assembly Roll Call is complete so as to be sure that we have an up-to-date roster.

A Revision:

A Bill to Amend the Constitution of the North Pacific, to enact a Law, and to amend a Law.

Section One

1. Article I, Section 3, Clause 3 of the North Pacific Constitution shall be amended:
amendment:
3. All Government bodies are allowed to create rules for its their own governance.
2. The clauses of Section 3 following Clause 3 shall be renumbered to start from 5 instead of 4.
insertion:
4. Such rules must not contradict the Constitution, Bill of Rights, or Legal Code.

Section Two

Due Process Act:
Due Process Act

I Arrest
A. Dire Risk Arrest

1. An official empowered to arrest may arrest any nation the official directly observes in the act of committing a crime under the Legal Code.

B. Warrant

1. An official empowered by the Delegate to arrest may, when there are no more than 5 nations under arrest, request a Warrant (including the desired nature of the arrest) by filing the request together with reasoning and evidence.
   2. If the official has identified the nation as the pseudonym of a convict or an agent of a hostile foreign power and if the nation is not in the Assembly, the Warrant request will supply evidence thereof, and state that it does not lead to a separate trial, nor count toward the number of arrested nations.
   3. The first Justice to respond to the request who does not recuse themselves shall decide whether to approve or deny it.
   4. Should no Justice respond within 24 hours, the request shall be considered approved.

C Report

1. Upon the arrest of any nation, the arresting official must report the arrest, including precise time.
   2. If the Warrant does not specify otherwise, the official must also file a Complaint against the arrested nation.

II Complaints
A. Filing

3. Any citizen may file a legal Complaint against TNP for an illegal action.
   4. Officials empowered by the Delegate to do so and the Attorney General may file a criminal Complaint against any citizen.

B. Defining Sides

2. In a legal Complaint, the citizen filing the Complaint and the TNP governmental branch as represented by the official whose actions are the subject of the complaint are the two sides.
   3. In a criminal Complaint, TNP as represented by the Attorney General and the nation which is the subject of the Complaint are the two sides.

III Trial
A. Judge Selection

1. Upon receiving a Complaint, active Justices who can try a case must enter their name into the available Justice list that they can try it, noting the date of Complaint of the last case they took on or the date they took office, whichever came last.
   2. Between 24 and 48 hours of the Complaint, the Chief Justice shall assign the case to that available Justice who has been Justice longest without trying a case.

B. Discovery

1. In a criminal case, the Judge will appoint a reserve Counsel to argue for the Defense should no other Counsel be available.
   2. The Judge will set an appropriate due date for the two Sides to Discover all evidence and present it to the Judge and the other side.
   3. The two Sides must also present an ordered list of Counsel representing them.
   5. The Judge may reject evidence which cannot be attested to by any person or has no bearing on the trial.

C. Trial

1. The Judge shall set 5 dissimilar possible dates, noting time and place, to hold the trial.
   4. The Judge shall preside over the Trial and repeated violation of their procedures is Contempt of Court.
   5. The Judge may select a limited number of Counsel to be permitted to speak: that many of present Counsel on each side selected in order of the list filed during Discovery shall be permitted to speak.
   6. The Judge shall determine which side speaks first, and shall ensure that each side has equal time to present their arguments.
   7. Each side will have the right to cross-examine each witness of the opposing side.
   8. Counsel held in Contempt may be disbarred by the Judge, forbidding them from representing anyone but themselves in future cases.
   9. Defendants or Counsel held in Contempt may be sentenced by the Judge to suspension from the Assembly or banning from the region, for a duration not to exceed one month, beginning at the conclusion of the trial.
  10. If at the end of the allotted time the Trial is incomplete, the Judge may adjourn and set a date to continue in the proscribed manner.
  11. If the Judge finds it necessary, they may hand over the case to a Justice who agrees to take the case.
  12. After closing the Trial, the Judge will have 2 days to compose a Verdict and Sentence or Remedy.
  13. If the Verdict is that the defendant is guilty, the Judge may assign a reasonable sentence carried out through the in-game power of the Delegate and/or through denial of membership in the Regional Assembly.
  14. In a criminal case, if the accused is found guilty they will be convicted and are no longer arrested.
  16. The transcript of the trial together with the Verdict and any Sentence or Remedy must be publicly accessible on the regional forum.

IV. Appeal

1. In a criminal case, either side may appeal the Verdict within 7 days of the end of the trial.
   2. In an Appeal, all the Justices may vote until 14 days after the end of the trial.
   3. A majority may decide to hold a new trial (once), to reverse the verdict, or to modify the Sentence or Remedy.

V. State of Emergency
A. Declaration

1. The Delegate may declare a State of Emergency, effective immediately, whenever the region is in an immediate and evident danger, unless forbidden.
   2. During a State of Emergency, the Speaker, CLO, Security Council, and Assembly will review the declaration.
   3. The Declaration of a State of Emergency will initiate immediate votes for three days in the above listed bodies on whether to keep it and whether to forbid the Delegate from Declaring it again.
   4. The decision of the Speaker or the vote of any above listed body may end a State of Emergency and may also forbid the Delegate to reinvoke it until the Assembly passes a Resolution to end the interdiction or a new Delegate is elected.
  5. Should a State of Emergency be kept, any of the listed bodies may at any time begin another such vote.
  7. Any vote that may result in forbidding the delegate from declaring a State of Emergency shall continue even if the Delegate has revoked the State of Emergency.

B. Effects

1. The requirement of a Warrant to arrest nations not in the Assembly shall be suspended.
   2. Each arrest must still be recorded publicly, identifying the reasons and presenting evidence.

Section Three

TNP Law 31, Section 2, clause 2 shall be amended:
amendment:
2) The Attorney General is to work within following the law and the rules adopted by the Court.

Section Four

1. If passed by a three-quarters vote sections One, Two, and Three shall be enacted immediately.
2. If passed by a majority vote sections Two and Three shall be enacted immediately.

There is an error in what seems to be a generally accepted view that the Court has not adopted any procedures.

The Court adopted a rule on the designation of temporary judicial officers to preside at a trial or to participate in an appeal. The Court announced
Jan 23 2006, 05:14 AM GMT.

The active members of the Court have adopted the following additional Interim Court Rules, pending the adoption of final Court Rules:

Rules of Judicial Administration

Under the authority vested in the Court of The North Pacific under Article V, Section 1 Clause D of the Constitution of The North Pacific, effective from 7 July 2005, the following guidelines that implement certain aspects of Article V of the Constitution of the North Pacific, effective from 7 July 2005, are established. In the event any provision of these Rules conflict, or appear to conflict, with the Constitution of The North Pacific, or the North Pacific Legal Code, then the Constitution or Code provision will prevail over these Rules.

Rule 801. Appointment of Judicial Hearing Officers.

A - Whenever, due to conflict of interest, unavailability, or other cause, the Chief Justice (or the Associate Justice with greatest seniority in the case of vacancy, absence, or unavailablity of the Chief Justice) determines it appropriate, a hearing officer shall be promptly appointed to preside for a particular proceeding.
B - Whenever there are one or more vacancies on the Court, or one or more Justices are unavailable, have a conflict of interest, or other cause, that prevent the participation of the full number of Justices created under the Constitution or by law, the remaining Justice or Justices shall promptly appoint one or more hearing officers to participate in an en banc proceeding as temporary Justices.
C - Any hearing officer that is appointed under this Rule shall be a registered voter and shall not hold a position as Delegate, Vice Delegate, Prime Minister, any Cabinet Minister or Deputy Minister, or as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, while serving as a judicial hearing officer.

That's a useful rule, but it doesn't have any timelimits, nor does it govern many of the other important questions.

Elu, I was not saying that it resolves everything. The point was that unlike the rest of the ICR, which are specifically posted as draft rules that provided some guidance, Rule 801 is a binding adopted rule. It does address some of the process issues that have existed, and was probably overlooked in dealing with past situations where there was a shortage of judges.

Since this proposal dpesn't really address rules of evidence, when I get a little time I'll ask my fellow justices about the possibility of adopting the rules concerning evidence.

I'm also concerned about use of the term "legal complaint" for a specific type of proceeding. Since there's always going to be issues about whether a particular complaint is legal, i.e., valid, that is going to create all sorts of confusion. Can we find some other adjective for that type of complaint? "Formal," "Constitutional," "Administrative," are three possibilities that come to mind; there may be others.

A Revision:

A Bill to Amend the Constitution of the North Pacific, to enact a Law, and to amend a Law.

Section One

amendment:
insertion:

Section Two

Due Process Act:
Due Process Act

I Arrest
A. Dire Risk Arrest

B. Warrant

C Report

II Complaints
A. Filing

3. Any citizen may file an administrative Complaint against TNP for an illegal action violating the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Legal Code, or appropriate Rules by any member of any governmental body of TNP.

B. Defining Sides

2. In an administrative Complaint, the citizen filing the Complaint and the TNP governmental branch as represented by the official whose actions are the subject of the complaint are the two sides.

III Trial
A. Judge Selection

B. Discovery

C. Trial

16. The transcript of the trial together with the Verdict and any Sentence or Remedy must be publicly accessible on the regional forum.

IV. Appeal

V. State of Emergency
A. Declaration

B. Effects

Section Three

TNP Law 31, Section 2, clause 2 shall be amended:
amendment:
2) The Attorney General is to work within following the law and the rules adopted by the Court.

Section Four

1. If passed by a three-quarters vote sections One, Two, and Three shall be enacted immediately.
2. If passed by a majority vote sections Two and Three shall be enacted immediately.

I would request that the bill be tabled until after the Judicial elections.

As currently the only candidate for Attorney General I would like the opportunity to address the problems that already exist before adding a whole new set to the mix.

If there are no objections, then this vote will be tabled until such time as the Judicial Elections have been resolved.

Back