Grimalkin's Manifesto for Speaker

Grimalkin

TNPer
The position of Speaker of the Assembly is one of the most important positions in the North Pacific’s democracy. It insures that the entire democratic process runs smoothly.

In spirit, though, there is more to the role of the Speaker than just opening/closing votes and maintaining the rolls of the Regional Assembly. The Speaker must also encourage membership in the RA. It is not enough to simply add and remove names from the rolls. The Speaker should be working diligently to encourage TNP Citizens to become full-fledged RA members. Lapsed RA members should be contacted, encouraged to return and re-apply. How many members of the RA halls might we have today if previous Speakers had sought out lapsed members and encouraged their return?

For TNP’s democracy to thrive, then the Speaker needs to do more. This I pledge to you, citizens of the North Pacific, that I will do everything within my power to encourage activity within the Regional Assembly and to insure its smooth running.

Grimalkin for Speaker of the Assembly!

I welcome any questions that you might have.

What experience do you have if any, as a Speaker of any regional legislature?

Are you capable of getting along well with others, both whom you like AND dislike?

Are you capable of keeping your personal biases checked at the door when doing the job that's needed? :gov:

What are your plans for increasing activity levels within the RA and/or increasing the number of members?
One of the problems with the TNP RA is that the lists are maintained on a regular cycle. Updates are sporadic and even when updating, most Speakers only focus on adding and removing names.

The Speaker must do more. Most members don't realize that they're membership has lapsed, so it becomes necessary for the Speaker to send out reminders and encourage those members who have lapsed into returning to the RA.

Encouraging activity within the RA is a different beast entirely. If there are no bills or ideas, then there is no activity. But when there are bills floating around or discussions about ideas, then it falls on the Speaker to insure that all members of the RA are aware of it. Sending PMs to members in order to notify them about matters before the RA would be a good first start.

Of course these are all just theories and ideas, but I would love the opportunity to put them to the test.

Govindia:
What experience do you have if any, as a Speaker of any regional legislature?

Are you capable of getting along well with others, both whom you like AND dislike?

Are you capable of keeping your personal biases checked at the door when doing the job that's needed? :gov:

heh

I never led a regional legislature, and I've only been a member of a couple. I was always more inclined to stay on the military side of things and leave the legislature to the politicians.

I admit that I do not get along with everyone. I can name a couple, but that is irrelevant. I am capable of working with people in a civil manner if it becomes necessary. My personal opinion does not matter when there is a duty to be done.

As I said in the above paragraph, my personal opinions are a non-issue when there's a duty to be done.

Back