January 2010 Elections

Ok, so here goes.

The first of the 3 elections for Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker of the Assembly, and the CLO are up for grabs. Here's how things will break down.

The nomination period will last 7 days, starting Jan 1 and ending on Jan 7. Afterward there will be a 3 day break, which will last until the 10th. Voting will start the 10th and end the 17th (another 7 days). Each period will be based off of my time, so watch for my notices.

I will allow candidates to affirm or decline their nominations during the 3 day period, but no seconds or nominations. You don't get a nomination and a second during the 7 days, tough.

So you know the rules. No posting in this thread until I give the OK.

Voting is open! Go here.

Ok, I'm opening up the nominations officially. Check the above post for the official status of the elections.

We have the following positions available:

WA Delegate
Felasia
New Kervoskia

Vice WA Delegate
Eluvatar

Speaker of the Assembly
Dyr Nasad

CLO (3 seats)
Falconkats
JAL
Grosseschnauzer
Govindia

Chief Justice (Special Election)
Grosseschnauzer
Govindia

Hup to it!

You can nominate yourself Falconkats. However, I'll go ahead and nominate you for a CLO seat.

Dyr, I see no reason why you can't run for both, but perhaps you should ask Gross or Flem for a double check. They both know the law very well.

Right. I'll second you for CJ as you've already been seconded for Speaker. I'll also confirm your candidacy for both.

Dyr, I see no reason why you can't run for both, but perhaps you should ask Gross or Flem for a double check.  They both know the law very well.

I may not be Flem or Grosse but since I'm passing through... :P

Historically we've not tended to have people hold multiple offices, principally because of seperation of powers and that holding both (as in this case) the Speakers office and being a member of the judicary would undermine a number of the constitutional safeguards and procedures that exist in our system.

Under the previous Constitution it would not have been legal to hold two offices (though, IIRC it was previously contested and held that it was legal to run for multiple offices), but it does appear - and I did quickly doublecheck - that there is no legal bar to the holding of multiple offices under the current Constitution. Which is an interesting oversight... :P

There is no constitutional bar to prevent you holding both offices, which I would consider to be an unfortunate mistake that was made. But, though normally I would dislike such a move for the reasons above, I guess with the way activity is now it makes sense to utilise the active players who are left.

And, incidently, my mask should probably be changed... I imagine my nation has probably CTE'ed anyway... :bunny:

Well, I myself would run for the CJ position but a. I'm the election comissioner. b. We'd need to find somebody to replace me as the regular justice.

if Dyr Nasad wants to let me stand for Chief Justice, I could probably spare a little time for that. I have a massive manuscript deadline, two of them in fact, in the next six months, but that job is something I can do.

(I really don't like the idea of the same person holding both Speaker and Chief Justice.)

I'll even thriw in standing for a CLO spot at no extra charge.

>|P

Right, I'll second Eluvatar for Vice Delegate and Gross for both positions. I tend to agree with you Gross, both positions held by each person isn't quite right in my book. No offense Dyr. ;)

I'll go ahead and add both of you to the nominations.

People do need to read Law 26 more carefully in the future, In the definition section you will find the limitation concerning being a candidate for more than one office:

“Candidates” are those individual members of the Assembly who either declare themselves, or who are nominated by at least two other Assembly members, as a candidate for an office or position to be chosen at that election. Candidates may only stand for one office or position during a given Election Cycle.

And the CLO is considered an elected committee of the RA, and not an office or position.

We may need to adopt a one sentence amendment to make this clearer for the future.

And I formally accept nomination for Chief Justice and for the CLO.

Right, sounds good Gross. It's a good thing we have you around. ^_^

Also, I'll second Gov for both of his positions, although I do so with the expectation that if gets one or both he will be more active. :yes:

For what? King of cheese?

In any case, the nomination period is now over. There will be a 3 day interim period where nominated and seconded candidates can confirm or deny their candidacy. No new nominations or seconds will be taken during this time. When the 3 days is up, we'll have the election.

EDIT: NK, I saw your post in the delegate campaign thread, so I'm assuming that's what you're running for. Since you posted before I closed the thread, I'll give you the second needed. Congrats. You made it on the list juuuuust barely. :P

For what? King of cheese?

In any case, the nomination period is now over. There will be a 3 day interim period where nominated and seconded candidates can confirm or deny their candidacy. No new nominations or seconds will be taken during this time. When the 3 days is up, we'll have the election.

EDIT: NK, I saw your post in the delegate campaign thread, so I'm assuming that's what you're running for. Since you posted before I closed the thread, I'll give you the second needed. Congrats. You made it on the list juuuuust barely. :P
Danke schoen.

People do need to read Law 26 more carefully in the future, In the definition section you will find the limitation concerning being a candidate for more than one office:

“Candidates” are those individual members of the Assembly who either declare themselves, or who are nominated by at least two other Assembly members, as a candidate for an office or position to be chosen at that election. Candidates may only stand for one office or position during a given Election Cycle.

And the CLO is considered an elected committee of the RA, and not an office or position.

We may need to adopt a one sentence amendment to make this clearer for the future.

And I formally accept nomination for Chief Justice and for the CLO.

Heh. That's what happens when you quickly skim something. I thought there was something in there because I vaguely remember this discussion before but since I didn't see it when I looked quickly I presumed I was just mixing up with the old constitution. Oops... :blush:

Anyways, have a fun elections time kiddos.

Alright folks, I'm a bit late here, but the wait period is now closed. I'll open up the official election thread shortly.

Back