Epidemic Response Act

Dyr Nasad

TNPer
Epidemic Response Act
A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

Category: International Security

Strength: Strong

Proposed by: Goddess Relief Office

Description: THE WORLD ASSEMBLY,

NOTING the danger posed by communicable diseases, especially those whose etiology, pathology, and prognosis are unknown and cause human fatality;

REALIZING that a nation that intentionally withholds information about an epidemic within its borders places the international community at risk by impeding the ability of others to put into action plans to contain the disease or research a vaccine;

HEREBY

1) CREATES the Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response Center (EPARC) within the World Health Authority. The EPARC shall serve the following primary functions:
a. Identifying and confirming international outbreaks;
b. Coordinating international outbreak response using resources from scientific institutions in World Assembly member nations, medical initiatives, regional technical networks, and international humanitarian nongovernmental organizations; and
c. Strengthening readiness for outbreaks of dangerous and emerging pathogens.

2) REQUIRES that all member nations report any outbreak to the World Health Authority EPARC if the incidence rate of a disease in any localized area reaches a level of more than twice that of the same calendar month in the previous year;

3) STRONGLY URGES all member nations enact immediate measures to combat a local outbreak while it is still in the incipient stages, including, but not limited to, the following:
a. Providing medical care to infected individuals;
b. Issuing public news updates;
c. Eradicating insects, vermin, or livestock if they carry the disease;
d. Quarantining infected individuals in their homes or in hospitals;

4) REQUIRES that all member nations share viruses, bacteria, and other pathogens samples with the World Health Authority EPARC so that the international community can research a vaccine and is kept abreast of developments if the disease evolves in virulence or other characteristics;

5) FURTHER REQUIRES that all member nations allow health inspectors from the World Health Authority and international aid agencies to travel to the affected area to provide aid to infected individuals, conduct research, distribute medical supplies and vaccines, or report the latest developments to the international community, as appropriate;

6) MANDATES that all member nations act responsibly in the control of the nation's land, sea, and airport and impose travel restrictions, if recommended by the World Health Authority EPARC, to help control the spread of the disease; and

7) ASKS that all member nations cooperate at all times with the World Health Authority EPARC on issues not enumerated.

First, I want to thank your delegate from Sydia for inviting me to post on your forum here in the North Pacific. On behalf of the Republic of New Rockport, I implore all of you to vote against this resolution and to ask your delegate to do the same. The government which I represent is particularly concerned about Section 6, which states:

6) MANDATES that all member nations act responsibly in the control of the nation's land, sea, and airport and impose travel restrictions, if recommended by the World Health Authority EPARC, to help control the spread of the disease

This section would give unelected, unaccountable World Assembly bureaucrats the power to coerce private citizens of all World Assembly nations. It is the position of the Republic of New Rockport that such powers should remain in the hands of national governments or of the World Assembly, which is accountable to its member nations. To delegate such powers to bureaucrats who are accountable to no one is potentially very dangerous.

Thank you very much for your time and thanks to your honorable delegate for inviting me to your forum.

Sincerely,
Rodney Jackson
Secretary of State
Republic of New Rockport

Thanks for taking the time to post, New Rockport.

As always, I'll tally votes here and via TG and cast the delegate vote on the last day of voting.

I agree with Rockport on this. This proposal gives me the heebie-jeebies about violations of sovereignty. Also the understanding of epidemiology, by the proposer, is apparently a very weak understanding!

Against

Last Decision

The General Assembly resolution Epidemic Response Act was passed 3,735 votes to 1,301, and implemented in all WA member nations.

Back