Repeal "Access to Science in Schools"

Dyr Nasad

TNPer
Description: WA Resolution #48: Access to Science in Schools (Category: Education and Creativity; Area of Effect: Educational) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: SADDENED by the fact that the “Access to Science in Schools” resolution was submitted before it was sufficiently reviewed by the World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that the benefits of a balanced education are significant, but nevertheless dismayed at the several flaws the poorly-written resolution holds,

ALARMED that this resolution creates two distinct education systems, in which no person can enjoy a religious education without paying, yet those who accept the teaching of science attend school for free, thus legalizing the discrimination of persons unable to pay, which has been declared illegal by the World Assembly,

NOTICING that by effect of the resolution, nations are forced to either privatize their school system, placing the education of their citizens at the whims of the economy, or nationalize their school system, which would not allow private schools to operate at all,

FURTHER NOTICING that the lack of defining what is ‘peer-reviewed’ has created a large loop-hole, through which state-based religions can declare anything peer-reviewed science, effectively nullifying whatever intents the resolution held,

HEAVILY CONCERNED that the resolution does not limit itself to primary and secondary education, but also affects post-secondary education, which causes considerable legal problems for private university students that receive government vouchers to attend school,

BELIEVING that nations should not be subject to the excessive interference by the World Assembly of specific curriculum,

CONVINCED that efficient education resolutions, that do not contain so many flaws, and do not force people to pay for religious education, can be passed by the World Assembly only if “Access to Science in Schools” is repealed, and noting that such resolutions are already be authored,

The World Assembly hereby repeals resolution #48, “Access to Science in Schools”.

I'm all for it, actually. I've been following the debate in the NS Forums and Glen-Rhodes does have a point. There's a lot of problematic things regarding the original resolution. Not to mention the fact that it COULD be used as a tool for brainwashing the masses.

AGAINST

regardless of my support (or lack thereof) of this resolution or its target, this is incredibly badly worded

"SADDENED by the fact that the “Access to Science in Schools” resolution was submitted before it was sufficiently reviewed by the World Assembly"?

"ACKNOWLEDGING that the benefits of a balanced education are significant, but nevertheless dismayed at the several flaws the poorly-written resolution holds"?
what flaws? it doesn't point anything out specifically...

AGAINST

regardless of my support (or lack thereof) of this resolution or its target, this is incredibly badly worded

"SADDENED by the fact that the “Access to Science in Schools” resolution was submitted before it was sufficiently reviewed by the World Assembly"?

"ACKNOWLEDGING that the benefits of a balanced education are significant, but nevertheless dismayed at the several flaws the poorly-written resolution holds"?
what flaws? it doesn't point anything out specifically...
I think the poster is referring to the old debate thread re: Resolution in Question. That being said, I reviewed that, and the current thread and yes, there were a lot of discussions and debates about the wording of the resolution per se but hardly any changes save a grammar change. Huh.

Although I don't think one can put a discussion thread in the Resolution Paper per se, it DOES have a lot of vagueness into it.

Back