Our Structure

Discussions and setup in regard to our eRep movement is all well and good, but Tres has suggested that it's probably going to be a good idea to have some sort of structure happening - responsibilities decided upon and handed out, in order for our priorities to correlate effectively with one another's.

So to start with, I'd like to act as a mod over the eRep forums that we'll be using to coordinate our efforts. I've the time, experience and ability to make this happen, but I'm not going to appoint myself - the entire undertaking is one that needs to be consented to by everyone involved. Other mods will be eventually designated as we grow in numbers, too.

I also believe that we should collectively establish some sort of hierarchy. Lets put this to discussion and throw around some ideas. When necessary, we'll put it to an official vote.

Tresville and I have been discussing some ideas, and we thought that our hierarchy should possess some of these attributes:

> Party President (in-game feature). Head of our Political wing.
> Military commander. Head of our Military wing.
> Some sort of corporate title - responsible for the leadership of both wings, and the organization in general.

Other ranks and responsibilities would fall under these three divisions. What do you think?

Following this setup, we wouldn't be limiting ourselves to a political party, but would be opening ourselves up to every branch of eRepublik - much like an Order, or an Organization.

Sounds good. We could even start a few businesses, perhaps try and make them exclusive to our party if this is possible and beneficial?

MDH

We certainly shall. War for the military-inclined, businesses for the entrepreneurs among us etc. But our first priority, that we will all be working together on, is the establishment of a Political party.

Sounds good to me. It makes sense to be a bit more encompassing as an organisation than limited to the "party" mechanics.

I think RB misunderstood some of what we spoke about. He was looking to keep a political structure much like the US and I suggested that positions not related to Politics or military be set in a company structure.

remember that The president is Commander in Chief as Well. So technically...political titles can stem to the military...it is one thing. So basically just 2 sets....Political and Business Format.

Like I mentioned before I probably won't have the time to get deeply involved in ER for a month or so. But I would like to do what I already have been doing and help organize and get you guys what you need. Other positions like this may arise that are not directly related to politics or military. Which is where u can use a "Company/Corporation Structure." I don't think it should actually have more power than whatever political structure u guys decide on. Remember that the politics is where the in game power is and that should remain as the decision making body. A corporate structure should be only to help uide and ensure that the organization runs efficiently. It should not be able to make the in game decisions. Just suggest the best course of action and implement.

That is basically what we discussed and what I had in mind. Suggest other structures but make sure you specify titles and responsibilities of each. This is important when you get your ER masking and powers. This will hopefully be done by tonight. The forum is already done...one every member gets masked and u decide on who will be the ER MOD...it will be visible to all who participate in ER. Right now it has no threads and the ones in the temp ER forum will be thrown into the respective areas of the new Forum here in TNP.

Since most of us are learning the ropes of this game, I would suggest that for a period of three or four months or so we take direction from the couple of players like Rhindon who actually know what they are talking about.

In a little while (say on 1st September) we see where we have got to and hold elections and stuff.

for a group of half a dozen or so to be working out elaborate leadership structures seems a bit silly: For now, tell us what to do. When we know enough to question, we will.

How have we got a forum without a name or anything yet? Are we not jumping ahead of ourselves?

MDH
Not really MDH. It is a Forum within this one. A separate Category. It isn't done yet because we have a few masking issues to sort out and you guys need to decide on structure and positions this way masks are created. But it should be done by tonight or tomorrow the latest. Right now it is just a shell with what I posted in one of these threads.

I'm assuming that when everything is set up that that forum can just re-direct us to the actual main forum of the party? Or are we planning on running it as a subsection of this forum?

MDH

We'll get to that whenif things become busier. When I mentioned the US structure, Tres, it was in reference to the in-game political mechanics that eRep seems to be patterned after. As for our org, while I do believe that the party president's power should perhaps extend beyond his particular department - I think it'll be helpful to establish permanent positions that would be held by experienced members, allowing them the position to give advice and oversee the org as a whole...function as a lasting 'glue' between the divisions.

Members with such title should still be dependent upon those with elected positions (where the direct power would be found) - and should still be allowed to run for such positions, but even if they choose not to, they would at least be considered as a class of 'elders' among us - respected, with some sort of given influence. This could be attained by those who show appropriate dedication and skill over time... perhaps after being recommended by a certain number if existing elders, and approved by the party president.

That's more of the structure I'd be supportive of. Democratically elected leaders assisted and held together by the seasoned eRepublikans among us. But again, it would be imperative that such 'elders' would still be required to gain elected positions if it is direct leadership over a specific department they seek, as it is important that they work with, and make contribution to the government, rather than drift apart from it. Or typically begin to think themselves as nobility... the strict prevention of which is obviously desirable.

Or how about I put this question out there: do we actually want to be democratic? If so, I'd personally prefer a pattern similar to what I just outlined.

But we don't have to be - efficiency is not high on democracy's list of attributes, and we're a group - not a government - so perhaps there's an alternative.

I agree - a group, not a government.

Maybe the best way would be for erepublic (and maybe other games too) to become ministries in the North pacific government.

The minister could then appoint anyone (s)he wishes to the ministry staff.

That way we get the best of both worlds - efficiency at an erepublic level and democracy at a TNP level.

Not sure about that. I think it may be preferable to keep eRep decision-making/leadership-appointing within the sphere of eRep - its not the business of other gamers who aren't involved at all.

If we're going for a more streamlined effect (a pretty way of saying "less democratic") - we could have an org that is based upon direct appointment. Originating with one person - appointments are made to those who can prove themselves to those above them - and set responsibilities and positions created as seen fit. Quicker decisions, a more decisive group. As the org matures, and members become more familiar with the workings of the game, the one-man-rule may develop into a tier of leadership where perhaps five or so key members discuss and vote upon all major decisions - allowing for the input and knowledge that senior members will have to offer.

I think this system will work much more to our liking. I think your first post may have established that thought, Flem. There'll be enough democracy to wade through in the eUK's government halls - and considering we're not a government, I don't see why we shouldn't consider this alternative.

A RL example: Vatican has done it this way for thousands of years...and has weathered the most extreme of opposition throughout countless eras. If established correctly, it can work.

I agree RB. We may socialize in the TNP community but mixing games would be a terrible idea. Especially 2 political games!! Eeeek!!

According to the Vote, We want RB as the ER MOD.

I will let the admins know and get him masked.

Can we get some more opinions on this? Are we in favor of what I wrote in the last post? If we get enough affirmations - we start by setting out some specifics, and bringing it to a vote.

Back