Nation RP

Tresville

TNPer
You can find the beginning of this discussion here ( http://z13.invisionfree.com/TNP/index.php?...&#entry15080075 )

What we should be doing here is laying down the ground work for how the Gov would regulate Nation RP.

RP players and Gov officials, IMHO, should start to form a guideline for Nation RP which explains the difference between that and how we elect officials.

I have a hard time really explaining all this...as I said...i have never been sharp with this RP stuff.

Please remember...no proposals get formed here...once we have a set idea of what a proposal should look like...anyone can take it to the RA.

However, I highly suggest that people NOT propose 6 different proposals for the same thing...work on 1 proposal....gather ideas..cut what u think wont work...keep good suggestions etc.

Proposals should really be specific...it should ensure that someone is in charge of regulating RP and teaching new players how that works.

I don't think the government should "regulate" collaborative writing efforts.
I would kind of agree. I think Jolt has some good guidelines somewhere on how to run a good national RP.

I might go as far as saying an experienced RPer could be made mod of the RP forum so calls can be made if arguments break out ("I destroy your spearman with my SuperGiga Laser Death Ray!!!!), other than that, I think its up to the RPs to regulate themselves.

I'd suggest if we do get some good RPs going, we start posting "News Bulletins" on the RMB about the situation on the RMB, might attract some RPers in.

Like i said I don't really do RP. Whatever u guys suggest and agree on is fine with me and I am willing to help wherever I can.

The experience that the International Democraic Union went through may be helpful.

At some point in 2005, the IDU started a map project and over time almost all of the players placed their nations in the IDU on the map. Place names were assigned to geographhic festures (rivers, mountain ranges, oceans/seas, continents, and then time zones..

The problem was that we had only one person who had the right sioftware to make and maintain the map.

When he was active then role play developed to the extent of dealing with failed states, and developing regional services such as airports, highways and rail; we even put in a regional bid to host a summer games at Jolt.

We also developed a regional body to enact regional agreements (similar to the EU) and also involved role play.

The problem became certain [layers running into RL absences *our cartographyer works for an international NGO, and when he's sent somewhere in the world on short notice, he can be gone for extended periods. That kills off the RP and this last time, it, along with Max's change from the UN to the WA a year ago just aboiut killed us off as an active NS1 region.

So I would urge that any RP think out how to keep the parameters in place (so if we use a map, a RPed RP governmental council, etc., going and not crash and burn when someone goes AWOL.

I don't think it should be governed by our government. There should just be a moderator or two to keep things under control.

We can use the map that has already been made. I have software to edit it and I'm sure other people do too.

Every nation who plays in the RP would be required to do a few things:
  • Place their nation on the regional map
  • Submit a brief national history.
  • Tell what kind of government they are
  • List the names of the individuals they will RP as. For example, a nation could RP as several individuals, such as a PR spokesman, the king, and a diplomat.
  • ETC...
To start things off, there can be a summit of all the nations. We can meet with several topics on the agenda, ranging from the environment to terrorism to a nation's civil war.

Hopefull after some small talk, there will be some sort of international incident. People will take sides. This is where it will get interesting.

... just some ideas

Thats great Ator. But if the government shouldn't run it...can we agree that we should at least teach new players and members how these things work. I don't fully understand this to be honest.

If it is Nation RP..which is NS related...but the government won't regulate it...then who can we depend on to?

I think we can all agree and see that this is most likely the main problem.

It can be forum based without being government basis.

Forum administration shouldn't be involved with the day-to-day aspects, but forum administration could assess the RP community's consensus and designate special mods for the RP area as needed. (TYhe IDU forums had a unique way of dealing with forum admin chairs, basically having the elder statesmen of the region function as forum administrators, and the government of the day as global mods. I'm not saying that approach would work here, but it did work there and did work in regards to RP.

I don't think the government should "regulate" collaborative writing efforts.
I agree...somewhat. The government shouldn't regulate "mechanical" aspects of collaborative writing efforts. Some regions that do NS-based group writing place stiff limitations on things like nation size, technological level, rigid adherance to NS calculators for economies, and so forth. This severely limits the creativity of those involved and ultimately drives people away who aren't 'good enough' for the community. You want as few of those regulations as possible.

On the other hand, the things that do need to be regulated are matters of courtesy. Participants need to have free reign in what they can play, but when they use that to control other players' characters, butt in where they clearly aren't wanted, and bully others OOCly, there needs to be an authority that can step in to deal with that.

*Namyeknom has laser proof mirror suits!

*Namyeknom uses a giant genetically modified bunker hunting mole to eat j00!

*Missing Dog Head quickly gets into super titanium life support machine and survives the moles jaws and stomach.

*Missing Dog Head retaliates by crawling through the tunnel to Namyeknom's base.

MDH

Back