Original hand-written Gryphonnic note found

Thyatira

TNPer
I went through my storage unit and found a box containing the original notes that inspired the Order of Gryphons. I shall type them and post them here!

It will take a while to type them up. While they were in storage it seems the pages got jumbled up. So the first stage of this 'blast from ye past' will be sorting them.

I thought it appropriate, though, to announce the rediscovery of them here, in TNP -- the birthplace of the Order!

Order Notes
Preamble
I. Intro
II. Code of Honor and Courtly Demeanor
III. Function of the Order
IV. Membership
A. Exclusivity
B. Candidacy
C. Sponsorship
D. Voting
E. Recognition
F. Sacred Oath
G. Obligations
H. Privileges
I. Expulsion
V. Rank
VI. Officers
VII. Ceremonies in a fixed place of Meeting
A. Conclaves
B. Feasts
C. Pageants
D. Regular Councils – usually monthly
E. Solemnities
F. Tournaments – historically 1-3 per year
G. Judicial Duels
VIII. Records and Publications

Preamble
The original May 20, 1991, notes that ultimately served as the primary inspiration for what became the Order of Gryphons came in part from the following books:
  • Life in Medieval Times, M. Rowling, (Perigee Books, NY, 1968)
  • Knights at Tournament, (Osprey)
  • The Tournament: Its Periods and Phases, R. Coltman Clephan, F.S.A., (Frederick Ungar Publishing Co., NY, 1967)
There were other texts, especially several on heraldry, but I didn't record the bibliographic information for them.

When I took these notes, I had no aspiration of founding an Order of Knighthood. In 1991, I was working on the rules for a table-top roleplaying game. I used the working title Faith & Fealty then, which I ultimately abandoned in favor of Lore.

The information presented here is from one set of papers stuffed in a banker box when I got married in 2001. I've only just rediscovered the box and, now that I'm getting divorced, I thought I'd resume working on what was once my pet project.

The remainder of the contents of the box pertain either to the Faith & Fealty (Lore) RPG or to a related board game based on knightly tournaments I called Aventuriers! These other materials, obviously, will have less appeal to aficionados of Gryphonnic history.

And, of course, for the truly curious, the very first Gryphonnic thread was here: http://z2.invisionfree.com/The_North_Pacif...wtopic=1226&hl=

I. Intro
An Order and Fraternity of chivalry might be any of three types: royal, noble, or an Order of merit. The first two are governed by either a king or some member of the peerage. An Order of merit, in which members are more or less equal, seems a more amicable company of knights.
In cases where loyalty owed to the Order and obligations to a Lord outside the Order arose, loyalty to the Lord to whom a knight owed fealty was considered the more important (though in a Royal or Noble Order, the leader of the knights and the Lord to whom the members owed fealty might be the same person).
an organization that promotes and facilitates knightly quests and chivalrous adventures, good deeds that promote the mutual welfare of member-knights, and also deeds of arms.
Orders are secular but were historically quasi-religious. As such, an Order might have a Dedicatee (who would be a Saint) or a Patron (a legendary or mythic figure). In fact, the formal name of the Order might be something like "The (Royal Order/Noble Order/Order of Merit) of (Patron/Dedicatee's) (name of Order)." In the names of the Order and this Dedicatee/Patron, knights had ceremonies of worship and even undertook pilgrimages. Membership constituted a pseudo-sacred and exclusive tie.
Beyond this, a Knighthood was instrumental in the process of making and keeping allies among the aristocracy and ruling houses. In politics, the loyalty and the service of the nobility were crucial to the support of any Dynasty.

II. Code of Honor and Courtly Demeanor
Central to any chivalrous Order is a code of honor. While honor seems not to have been defined or outlined within the statues of historical Orders, it seems prudent to treat the subject here at least briefly. The aspirations professed in founding Orders were always those of the very highest ethical and political idealism, to provide an edifying moral foundation.

Honor is rare. And Codes of Honor on the Internet even rarer.
I have compiled the following from various sources. These traits were originally gathered together for a different project but they bear on the subject here as well. Much of what follows here will need to be defined in terms of NationStates.
  • Avoidance of idleness
  • Defense of the public weal and of the state
  • Participation in just war and royal/noble/ducal service
  • Protests/actions against cruelty
  • Refusal to retreat
  • Virtue includes the Aristotelian/Ciceronian concept of civic duty.
  • Loyalty
  • Lese Majeste
3 main means to attain high and perfect honor. A true noble must:
  • always speak cautiously and wisely
  • fear the dishonor that results from base and cowardly actions; fear of reproach
  • abstain from excesses of the flesh
Every noble should ask himself the following before acting:
  • Will I say or do anything that will bring shame to me or my lineage
  • Will nobility be lacking in me?
  • Will I be such that I will not dare to be found with other good, noble and valiant men, and speak when my turn comes in all assemblies?
No labor was unfamiliar, no region too rough or too steep, no armed foeman too terrible. Each man strove to be first to strike down the foe, to scale the wall, and to be seen of all while doing such a deed. The quest was for honor above material reward (though knights were expected to take pleasure in handsome arms and warhorses).

Criticisms/accusations are not to be made publically, and brethren and sistren should suppress matters of shame and dishonor unless these contravene the statues (see Expulsion). Rebuke a fellow-knight privately and as soon as possible after the event. There are to be no scenes of accusation and recriminations in the Chapters and Councils.

III. Function of the Order
To provide a common focus of allegiance

Education (which is a stat in Faith & Fealty): Such was the nature of 15th-Cent. government that to retain his place in the ducal service, a noble needed training. History furnishes cautionary tales of the deceitful tricks and devices against which a noble must constantly be on his guard. An educated noble will be able to distinguish good advice from bad, and would not be deceived. A noble might learn to distrust flatterers and serve the prince in a more effective manner.

IV. Membership
A. Exclusivity
An Order of Knighthood should be a select and exclusive body, limited in number of members. The greater the number of members, the more contentious matters might arise. Or so it was believed. Limited membership supposedly limits internal conflict.

B. Candidacy
Requirements include nobility in both name and arms being without reproach…

C. Sponsorship
Sponsors submit a written account of the Candidate's merits
The names of candidates were recorded by the Greffier (See Offices), and their estate and merits were discussed by the assembled Order.

D. Voting
Recognition is by election through secret ballot of the Knights meeting together in Chapter.
There is evidence to suggest that decision in historical orders must be unanimous.
The number of votes is dependnt upon rank within the Order
  • Sovereign, First Creator and Founder of the Order: 5 votes
  • Grand Master: 4
  • Master: 3
  • Senior: 2
  • Cadet (i.e., Squires): 1
  • Affiliated Knights-Bachelor (who may apparently attend meetings): 0
E. Recognition
Each elected member receives a copy of the statutes.

F. Sacred Oath
The quasi-sacred oath to an Order is not to be taken, or broken, lightly.

G. Obligations
Each member is informed of the obligations he has assumed. For example, members were to contribute to the payment of each other's ransoms, and to support the widows and orphans of fallen comrades.
members were historically required to abandon membership in all other chivalric associations.

No member who is a subject of vassal to the duke was to indulge in warfare, nor make long journeys aboard, without informing him. By the same token, all members were to be forewarned of a ducal intention to wage war, except in "secret and hasty enterprises." Statues traditionally stipulated service in war for reasonable wages.
H. Privileges
Member may petition the Order for advice.
Credit, Distinction, Estate, Fame, Glory, Honor, Renown, and (in the case of Royal or Noble Orders, perhaps even Titles of Peerage)
Heraldry – Armorial Bearings and other Awards, consisting of (but not limited to): Bays, Chaplets, Crowns, Garlands, Laurels, Ornament, Palms, Wreaths
A note about Heraldry: While efforts have been made during the history of the Order of Gryphons to provide coats of arms to the membership, there has never been an adequately staffed College-of-Arms and, thus, many members have not been awarded their armorial bearings.
I. Expulsion
Grounds for Expulsion and/or loss of arms and nobility: There are levels of dishonorable behavior or ignoble conduct, but these should decide on a case-by-case basis. Examples include:
  • Ambition unbefitting one's class
  • Bearing arms against one's Sovereign Lord, whether singly or in the company of confederates, if the sovereign is present with banner unfurled
  • Blasphemy (insulting, showing contempt for, or lack of respect for God; i.e., "religious treason"), Heresy, Sacrilege (irreverence, violation of the sacred, et al.), Sortilege (sorcery, divination, et al.) – In actual Gryphonnic practice, a blatantly Christian orientation was discarded to allow for members of different faiths. Blasphemy, et al., were then defined in a Gryphonnic context as anything Iconoclastic or Offensive to the spiritual beliefs of any member-knight.
  • Cowardice, not necessarily confined to flight from battle.
  • Criminal activity
  • Defeat in judicial combat fought over a matter of honor
  • Disloyalty
  • Excessive liberality in either the lack of moral restraint or the refusal to be bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or traditional forms
  • Idleness
  • Lust, lubricite, wantonness, lecherousness, adulterous conduct
  • Rancor between brother-knights
  • Striking an unhelmed opponent.
  • Swearing a false oath on the name of one's Order or on one's own honor, etc.
  • Treason
  • Unfulfilled promises
  • Waging of illicit feuds
Not necessarily grounds for expulsion, but still not honorable:
  • money not earned nobly
  • resting on the laurels of ancient lineage
  • purchased nobility
V. Rank
  • Sovereign, First Creator and Founder of the Order: 5 votes
  • Grand Master: 4
  • Master: 3
  • Senior: 2
  • Cadet (i.e., Squires): 1
VI. Officers
A. Court
  • Sovereign or Knight-Commander – Sovereign (or Knight-Commander) may be either a life title or annually elected position.
  • Chapter-General
  • Bishop and Chancellor – settles disputes within the Order. "Bishop and Chancellor" is one office. In the absence of a Bishop and Chancellor, this responsibility is the Sovereign's.
  • Treasurer
B. College-of-Arms
  • King-of-Arms
  • Herald – to bear summonses to members called before a tribunal
  • Pursuivant – to carry a copy of the statues to each knight and esquire elected to the membership
  • Greffier - the Chronicler of the Order's members' exploits
  • Greffier's Clerk – responsible for producing the copies of statues for new members
C. Temporary Offices
  • Assessor/Juge du Camp: official at Judicial Duels – historically from the ranks of the Order's College of Arms, but in actual practice this office is open to anyone who evidences a talent for "game control"
  • Constable – official at Judicial Duels
  • Marshall – official at Judicial Duels
VII. Ceremonies
As an Order without Statutes, Feasts, Solemnities, etc., is no Order at all but instead a "Devise", any Knighthood must have Articles duly recorded and must celebrate Ceremonies, in a fixed place of Meeting. (A Devise is also not exclusive, being generally open to anyone, and these organizations tend to be ephemeral fraternities.) Meetings may be Ceremonial, Procedural, or Judicial.
A. Chapter's Annual – held on the day of founding. For the Order of Gryphons, this could be one of two dates. While the original thread was started on Apr 21, 2004, it could be persuasively argued that an actual Order of Gryphons did not official exist until Royal Keeblerhoffs and Duke (a.k.a. Sir Muad'Dib, Duke of The Theocracy Of The Second Imperium) joined on May 7.
B. Conclaves
C. Council Monthly – held on (or about) the first day of each month
D. Feasts
E. Pageants
G. Solemnities
H. Tournaments – historically 1-3 per year
I. Knight-Errantry – while historically something different, within NS a Kt.-Errant (or "Knight-Adventurer") might be someone who travels to other Regions in search of adventure in which to exhibit military skill, prowess and generosity
J. Judicial Duels – (While I have a full page, front and back, of hand-written notes on Judicial Duels, it is important that care be taken to prevent any Order from being or becoming overly judicial.)
VIII. Records and Publications
A. Manuscript Armorial, or Registre de Noblesse – the list of members, crests, and cries.
B. Roll of Honor, or Chronicle – This Book of the Chronicles of the Order records the vertus et bonnes meurs or good deeds and prowess of the members, achieved by bravery in battle. The King-of-Arms of the Order was to ascertain those deeds and set them down in writing very faithfully and truly.

I'm going to pin this thread and at some point it will find a permanent home in the TNP Historical Society subforum which Tresville started a few months back. I want to make sure this doesn't get lost.

An excellent idea. I have been on NS for nearly a year and a half now...and it was just by chance that I stumbled across the Gryphons a couple months ago....but hardly any of my 'generation' know of them.

I'm going to pin this thread and at some point it will find a permanent home in the TNP Historical Society subforum which Tresville started a few months back. I want to make sure this doesn't get lost.
Well, if recent history is any indication, it won't get lost... just packed away in a box for over a decade.

Honestly, I'm very glad it resurfaced when it did.

Remarks on I. Intro

"An Order and Fraternity of chivalry might be any of three types: royal, noble, or an Order of merit."

The Order of Gryphons has been something of a cross between Noble (since we confer titles of Peerage from time to time) and an Order of Merit.

"In cases where loyalty owed to the Order and obligations to a Lord outside the Order arose, loyalty to the Lord to whom a knight owed fealty was considered the more important."

In a strictly NS/TNP context, an Order would serve the Region -- or, at the very least, Loyalty to the Delegate would be considered superior to fealty to the Order.

"an organization that promotes and facilitates knightly quests and chivalrous adventures, good deeds that promote the mutual welfare of member-knights, and also deeds of arms."

Chivalrous adventures seems to be the only thing that can be simulated in NS. Deeds of arms could be construed as Raiding or Defending but the form of 'combat' in NS leaves much to be desired. Perhaps a Facebook application simulating a Joust or Tournament would be more like it... :P

"Orders are secular but were historically quasi-religious. As such, an Order might have a Dedicatee (who would be a Saint) or a Patron (a legendary or mythic figure)."

In terms of a Legendary Patron, I don't think that I'd receive much argument that Magicality would make a wonderful Patroness for any TNP Order.

"Beyond this, a Knighthood was instrumental in the process of making and keeping allies among the aristocracy and ruling houses. In politics, the loyalty and the service of the nobility were crucial to the support of any Dynasty."

This again suggests the Knighthood would serve the Region, the Dynasty being the Delegate. I can think of at least one instance when several Gryphons participated in the active defense of the Region, some even bearing Gryphonnic colors while so doing. In the quest to unseat the upstart GB, Ugly Tool came within 2 Endorsements of success while bearing a Gryphonnic version of his own national flag!

Remarks on II. Code of Honor and Courtly Demeanor

While it might be belaboring the point to comment on a Code of Honor within the Order, it has from time to time dismayed me when the Brethren and Sistren of the Gryphons will use profanity and/or otherwise disrepectful or discourteous language in public forums such as mIRC, RMBs, etc.

I sometimes protest its use when I see it, but not so often as I might. I would like to avoid coming across as the "Scolding Aunt" of NS.

Remarks on III. Function of the Order

While I have always very much wanted the Gryphons to bring chivalry (and fun) to NS in a distinctive way, I have also thought it would be grand for one of two things (or perhaps both) to occur as outgrowths of the Knighthood:

1. To cause Max Barry to write a sequel in which the Knighthood appears,
2. To found and maintain a charitable organization IRL based on the Gryphons.

I'm not sure either of these are practical, but "Here cometh the Dreamer..." eh?

Remark on the Sacred Oath:

The time-honored Oath of the Gryphons is:

I, [Knightly name], vow that in all my dealings, both public and private, as they pertain to NationStatesTM, that I will comport myself with such honour so as to enable myself, my Champions, my Chapter, and my Order to be held up as exemplars of virtuous community life and behaviour.
In so affirming, I shall view it as incumbent upon me to bolster the knightly efforts of every Gryphon, to the extent that I may have cause to interact with each. Should I see a Gryphon to falter, I will support them on the route back to valour. Criticism, if necessary, shall always be constructive and compassionate.

And, of course, the present form of Acceptance is:

After due consideration of your desire to further the ends of the Order, it is with great Honor and Enthusiasm that The (governmental form) of (nation name) is welcomed to the Order of Gryphons!

It is customary to erect a flagpole and hoist aloft the flag of each accepted nation. Therefore, The Chapterhouse and Demesne of The Order of Gryphons hereby unfurls this banner:

Code:
[IMG]http://www.nationstates.net/images/flags/uploads/ (national flag) .jpg[/IMG]

Let these be the last strikes you receive unanswered.
+++ Touches each of your shoulders with the flat of a sword blade. +++

Arise, Gryphon, and stand welcomed to the Order!

I intend to continue to make remarks on the information outlined here, but let me clearly state an invitation by any Gryphons past and present to also do so.

And, on the subject of Gryphonnic things coming to light suddenly, my Brother Thel just recently presented me with this! An IRL Gryphon pendant!
GryphonPendant.jpg

Regarding the Matter of Judicial Duels:
Quoted directly from notes, though without recommendation as to how the following may be used

A case lodged by an Appellant Lord should be pleaded in the Court before the Constable and Marshal. The Brother or Sister concerned as the Defendant is to leave the Chapter while his or her Fate is decided. Even the Sovereign, as a Brother or Sister Knight, is not exempt from Criticism.

If the Accusation cannot be substantiated by Witnesses, a Recourse to Trial by Combat may be granted by the Crown. The Chapter of an Order may invoke the Articles to enforce submission of these disputes to the Sovereign, or if the Sovereign be the Accused, to some other Authority.

Should a Judicial Duel be decided on, the Time and Place of Combat are fixed by the Constable; the Weapons to be Glayves, Longswords, Short Swords, and Daggers.

The Defendant, if he appear not, is called by Proclamation, made by the Marshal.

The Bill of Challenge of the Appellant and the answer of the Defendant is read to them and they take their Oaths:
  • That their Appeal and Defence is true,
  • That neither hath Advantage of the other in Weapons, and
  • That each will do his best to vanquish his Enemy.
In the Fight if either of the Parties do give Sign of yielding or if the King, being present, do cry "Ho", the Constable and Marshal do part them, and observe precisely who hath Advantage or Disadvantage either of the other at that Instant, for if they should be awarded to fight again, they are to be put in the same Position as they were before...

A fine reminder that the Gryphons were pretty much unique in NS - an order based on virtues.

It is a shame these values got lost somewhere along the line, from the top down, when Thy went inactive.

TY, Flem. But I think you give me too much credit.

Granted, the Order sleeps when I do. For the most part. Any effort to make the Gryphons in NS would have to have a vigorous provision for a peaceable succession if/when the Knight-Commander is dormant.

Thyatira, if the Order is to get a reboot, hopefully with the guidance from these notes, we need to deal with succession before the fact and not in a rush at the moment of need or after-the-fact.

I think if we get enough of us "retired" knoights together, and with the experience of what hasd happened in the past, we can work it out.

I agree wholeheartedly.

But for any Knighthood such as this to succeed, we must have measures in place to ensure that the Order is more than just the dreams of the Founder and Member-Knights!

Back