POTW: NationStates players an endangered species?

Sydia

TNPer
What with the current panic about NS activity, what's the current status of the game? Stick a fork in it, NationStates is done? Tough times, but we'll see it through? The same as it ever was? Or a new wondrous golden age of peace?

Call me an optimist, but I refuse to see the game as dying. Hundreds of skilled players and thousands of new, inexperienced players does not equal death - I can't see it. Maybe activity is a bit down, and maybe feeder populations are down as well, but every year in January and February as far back as I can tell we have the annual "NS - is it dying??!" talk.

No. It's not dying. It's just shifting, from one thing to another. But it doesn't hurt to reach out to new players. There are, after all, diamonds in the rough.

Well said. I've been sceptical about these claims, and the fact they are still being bandied about suggests that we aren't dead yet. If the player is vulnerable, its their own fault, not NS's.

I must disagree...relative to what NS has experienced, it is indeed 'dying'. Its certainly not a dead game - far from it - but the rate at which activity is dropping causes quite some concern. Its nothing that can be helped, really.

If some believe the game to be dying, that is fine. But does anyone want it to die? I don't think so.

There's a quote I carry on some of the forum signatures I have. "You must be the change you want to see in the world." I like it because it is incredibly true, I believe. If you'd like to see the game get more active, it must start with you, first. From our own actions and beliefs can radiate an aura of hope which can cause others to be attracted to that glow. It's only natural people like to conglomerate toward things such as this. There is a reason we all still play this game, and that reason is because we've seen such a glow in a player before, whoever it may be. And I'm ready to glow, just as those before me did. Because I know that with such a glow I can attract more people to the game for the game's sake. I can be that change I wish to see in this world.

Very rarely does a fire start instantaneously - there has to be the right conditions, ingredients, environment, etc. Most of the time it starts small, like a spark or some smoke or even just any form of heat. The more of us who glow could lead to the sparks that turn this game into a fire once again. A pipe dream? I don't think so. Do it by 'causing chaos' or 'causing destruction'? No. Too many have tried that and failed in the past. That isn't the way to go. We have to build up, I believe, but not just build others up, we should build ourselves up too. For if our actions do not match our words, it's all in vain. After all, more people would rather believe in a fool than a liar.

That's just my :2c: . But I do believe there is substance to it. And I can say, as a proponent to that belief, it has produced good results.

Thats correct - we do have the ability to reverse trends. However, some trends are beyond our control, and if/when they prove stronger than we could help - it should just be accepted as something that could not have been avoided...not as a fault of our own.

The way things are going now, however, it doesn't look too promising. But you never know what the future may hold.

I used to think the game is dying....part of me still does. After all, I've been trying to revive a user region to even just half of the glory it was during the height of our previous ruler ;) And I must say it is slow going.

But McCloud is right...these things do not come instantly. I am beginning to learn, I think, what part of the problem is. Everyone is waiting for other people to chip in and do their part before launching into big projects that might round up some activity. I am seeing though that perhaps that is not the best way...it only leads to frustration and the killing of your own ambition...thats what happened to me...I almost left the game a month or so ago...Rhindon Blade can attest to that.

No, the game is not dying. For it to be dying, there could be no one that cared about it. As long as some people care about it, the game will be fine. The current generation of players may be dying out...but not all of them will leave, ever...and even though the amount of new players may be down right now, if a spark is ignited, more will come.

The best thing, I think, is that the game doesn't have just one spark showing up...but a few...and more likely to start showing up. I like what I see going on in the East Pacific. Assuming McCloud gets elected over there, I think that region will prosper. And all hope is not lost in the user regions either....I know of at least one delegate who has some rather large plans, and doesn't particularly feel like backing down on them...

Back