Line of Succession

We've had rogue Delegates and we've had inactive Vice Delegates, what would happen if we had both at the same time?

As such I think we should cover our bases with a proper line of succession, our worst case scenario would be to elevate someone in a rush vote for someone who'll come back to bite us. Or create another power struggle in lieu of the unpopularity of the new Delegate.

I would imagine the line would go like this:

Del
V Del
Speaker
Chief Justice
Assoc Justice
Assoc Justice

I have absolutely no idea as how this would be in language.

Ok not my first choice in terms of location but whatever...

Art 1
Section 3
10. (or 11 if the inactivity clause passes.) Should the Delegate and Vice Delegate need to be replaced immediately, the role of the Delegate shall be passed onto the Speaker, followed by the Chief Justice, followed by the longest serving Associate Justice, followed by the second Associate Justice. They shall serve as Delegate on an interim basis until a new special election is called.

As the current Constitution stands, it would be difficult to include any of the Cabinet Ministers since their existence is at the whem of the Delegate.

And the Speaker would be a more logical choice before the justices of the Court, especially given the Speaker is the chair of the CLO.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure the case is made for this proposal yet, and it would need to be re-thought if the question about the Security Council is resolved.

As the current Constitution stands, it would be difficult to include any of the Cabinet Ministers since their existence is at the whem of the Delegate.

And the Speaker would be a more logical choice before the justices of the Court, especially given the Speaker is the chair of the CLO.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure the case is made for this proposal yet, and it would need to be re-thought if the question about the Security Council is resolved.
The case is that we need an quick effective way of sussing out leadership if the doomsday scenario occurs. We've had rogue or inactive delegates, we had rogue or inactive vice delegates; the period between quick confirmations of placeholders is the most important to rally the locals. Add onto a potential scenario where two people duke it out to be replacement Delegate and we're in particularly deep.

I'll fix the line.

Logically, I would leave this until after we have some version of the Security Council passed. It makes no sense to have the line of succession include the Court IMO and though I can see the logic behind the Speaker being the first in line behind the D/VD, practically and realistically (especially in the case of a rogue) what we want is a high influence nation to take the Delegacy. Since the SC under the current suggestions is supposed to be made up of trusted high influence nations it might make more sense from a pragmatic view for the line of succession to work on the basis of influence and the SC- as its only a temporary appointment.

Wouldn't this line of succession defeat the purpose of checks and balances? Seems to me it would if the head of the Legislative branch or Judicial branch suddenly became Delegate. Or would they have to temporarily give up their position until the special election was held?

Certainly I agree that putting the judicial branch into the line of succession is completely inappropriate. Because of the appointed nature of the cabinet it would be difficult to have a line of succession including them. The Speaker isn't so much of an issue I feel and is logical within the makeup of our government, though as I said I'd prefer something which takes into account the realities of the Delegacy mechanics.

Wouldn't this line of succession defeat the purpose of checks and balances? Seems to me it would if the head of the Legislative branch or Judicial branch suddenly became Delegate. Or would they have to temporarily give up their position until the special election was held?

Haor Chall:
Certainly I agree that putting the judicial branch into the line of succession is completely inappropriate. Because of the appointed nature of the cabinet it would be difficult to have a line of succession including them. The Speaker isn't so much of an issue I feel and is logical within the makeup of our government, though as I said I'd prefer something which takes into account the realities of the Delegacy mechanics.

I'm sorry I don't think I made my case right. Yes, we're speaking of an interim Delegate until a replacement is voted upon. I've bolded the part saying that for everyone's benefit.

That's why I chose trusted government officials and not say the most trusted with the highest influence ranking. We need someone to help organize the people into rapid response teams when the rogues swamp the RMB, display the leadership to get through the first hectic days of finding a war cabinet, find out which cabinet members are still loyal to the Constitution vs Rogue, find a new trustworthy high influence for Del and Vice Del especially hard if the difference between endos is within 10 and both are powermongers, sussing out the code for unendo campaigns... And it goes on. It's been my opinion that the war during a rogue Del situation is long but much shorter if the organization is put in place faster and with clear and coherent leader in place.

Which is why, once again I still think the Chief Justice is best third in line. Cause I can't be trusted with that much responsibility... and I love being Speaker too much.

I agree with Haor Chall that if we pass a Security Council it would make more sense for the succession to go there.

However, what you say about leadership in such a crisis bears thinking about. I'm tempted to suggest some kind of special "in case of Civil War" set of laws.

I agree with Haor Chall that if we pass a Security Council it would make more sense for the succession to go there.

However, what you say about leadership in such a crisis bears thinking about. I'm tempted to suggest some kind of special "in case of Civil War" set of laws.
I think we need to be flexible depending if we get a Dali type rogue, a L&C type, or Matt type. And one thing a time.

Regardless of any legal issues or whatnot, defining the line of succession on elected positions that have no inherent relation to one's nation (other than that you have one and it's in the region and it's in the RA) would just be a practical nightmare. I mean, even if we did want to put the Court Justices in line, it would be, as it stands, pretty much impossible for any of the three of us to effectively take the delegacy in any reasonable time frame, and I know that my nation at least wouldn't have the influence to do anything (like kick a rogue delegate) for awhile, probably.

So, any line of succession should go through some sort of security council. In lieu of that, you could have the Speaker and/or Court select a successor interim delegate. That'd probably be the easiest, since we don't currently have any legal body that can realistically take the delegacy itself aside from the Delegate and Vice Delegate.

Back