Request For Court Ruling

Revote Thread:
I've been informed that the Court has been unable to render a decision on the legality of Tresville's election...

Is that it then? Will we be getting a statement explaining the reasoning behind the courts inability to reach a decision?

I'm not used to not being allowed to ask questions everywhere like in TWP but if you guys don't mid i'll ask this:

If Tresville and RB did not meet the requirements to be delegate, why were they allowed to even run in the first place, isn't the RA speaker supposed to check these things?

I'm not used to not being allowed to ask questions everywhere like in TWP but if you guys don't mid i'll ask this:

If Tresville and RB did not meet the requirements to be delegate, why were they allowed to even run in the first place, isn't the RA speaker supposed to check these things?
Actually, there is a semantics problem dealing with what "suspended" actually means.

That's why the court couldn't make a decision.

Lets just say that its open to interpretation depending on what definition of "suspended" you pull out of the dictionary, and no matter which way it goes, some people are going to be ticked off.

During elections I am not in charge of voter eligibility. That would be the Election Commissioners appointed by the Delegate. It would be improper to screen voters while on the ballot.

During elections I am not in charge of voter eligibility. That would be the Election Commissioners appointed by the Delegate. It would improper to screen voters while on the ballot.
That would be me. Although I attribute part of the blame to the nVidia corporation.

During elections I am not in charge of voter eligibility. That would be the Election Commissioners appointed by the Delegate. It would improper to screen voters while on the ballot.
That would be me. Although I attribute part of the blame to the nVidia corporation.
Those bastards

Those bastards
It was either them or the ADN.

I rescinded my temporary stay on the re-election for Delegate and CLO.

The election commissioners were not made aware and no one read the constitution.

The election commissioners were not made aware and no one read the constitution.
Correction, no one had read that particular part of the Constitution recently. And yes, it's the Election Commissioner's responsibility to verify candidates, though in this case I believe the mess is my fault as I didn't tell them that it was their responsibility when they asked me.

Actually, there is a semantics problem dealing with what "suspended" actually means.

Lets just say that its open to interpretation depending on what definition of "suspended" you pull out of the dictionary, and no matter which way it goes, some people are going to be ticked off.

No there isn't. That section is not at all relevant to this case. Try reading the Legal Code next time.

No there isn't. That section is not at all relevant to this case. Try reading the Legal Code next time.
What is the definition of is?

I have no compulsion to prevent the re-run of the election now being conducted on order of the Speaker of the RA.

I have no compulsion to prevent the re-run of the election now being conducted on order of the Speaker of the RA.
The election that is uncostitutional and isn't within the scope of the power of the speaker to be conducted.

What? The definition is irrelevant as neither of the two people involved are or where suspended RA members.

IN THE MATTER OF

Request for Judicial Review, as filed by Joshua: -

The Court enters the following decision in this proceeding:

Joshua filed the following petition with the Court:
I hereby request that the court rule on the current situation over the election results for WA Delegate and CLO. Due to the fact that Rhindon Blade and Tresville were ineligible at the time (less then 30 days in the RA).

I also would like the court to make a ruling on holding a new round of voting for WA Delegate and CLO. And that the period of voting be shortened to 2 - 3 days.

Thank you! smile.gif

Given the provisions of the TNP Law 1, sections 2 and 3, to wit;

Section 2: Oath of Office

The following Oath of Office shall be required for all Government Officials, as according to Section 1 of this Act:

I, (insert forum username), do hereby solemnly swear that during my duly elected/appointed term as (insert government position), I will uphold the ideals of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice of The Region of The North Pacific. I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, in any gross or excessive manner. I will act only in the best interests of The North Pacific, not influenced by personal gain or any outside force, and within the restraints of my legally granted power. As such, I hereby take up the office of (insert government position), with all the powers, rights, and responsibilities held therein.

emphasis added

Section 3: Penalties for Violation

1 - This Oath shall be binding on all government officials as previously covered, and violations of said Oath may be ground for indictment of impeachment charges in a legal Court of The North Pacific, pursuant to the guidelines and procedures laid out in Article IV of The North Pacific Constitution, The North Pacific Legal Code, and the guidelines of The Ministry of Justice.

Associate Justice BYARDKURIA, a candidate in the election of the Delegate of the North Pacific, is left with no alternative but to recuse himself from this case due to the not insignificant possibility of a conflict of interest, or appearance thereof, in entering any decision affecting these positions and/or elections.

Per Article V, section 2, clause 2 of the Constitution of the North Pacific, to wit:

2. All matters of judicial review to examine the constitutionality of Government policies, actions, and laws are to be brought before the full three-member Judiciary.
emphasis added.

The Court is unable to enter judgement on the request as filed due to an inability to muster the constitutionally required three-member Judiciary.

ENTERED THIS 2nd DAY OF October 2008:
Chief Justice GROSSESCHNAUZER, concurring in part and dissenting in part.
Associate Justice ROMANOFFIA, concuring in part and dissenting in part
Associate Justice BYARDKURIA not participating.

CHIEF JUSTICE GROSSESCHNAUZER, dissenting in part and concurring in part.

While I concur in the judgement of the Court, I dissent in order to state my views on the underlying facts and issues I find exist in this matter. Apparently the parties do not appear to dispute the primary facts.

Tresville initially sought reinstatement on April 20 2008, at 03:31 PM GMT, but requested that he be treated as a citizen of The North Pacific without RA membership. He subsequently decided to seek reinstatement as a member of the Assembly on August 5 2008, at 06:00 AM GMT. Under Section 3 of Law 28, the suspension of his status as a member of the Assembly is lifted once the required oath is posted.

I note that while not filed as a submission to the Court, some have raised the question of what "suspension" means under Law 28. I believe the word connotes a status that restricts the individual from exercising any benefits or privileges of membership in the Assembly, but does not connote removal from membership in the Assembly.

Rhindon Blade applied for Assembly membership on August 26 2008, at12:05 AM GMT. The time of his acceptsnce into the Assembly is not shown, but there is a reference in the application thread to his acceptsnce no later than September 1 2008, at 05:54 AM GMT.

There is no provision of the Constitution or the Legal Code that sets the specific date for a nominations period in the designated months for elections under Law 26, and under Law 26, the elections cycle begins on the first day of the designated month(s). The only reference to nominations is in Article I, Section 3, Clause 7, which provices that “[c]andidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.”

The Speaker opened a nominations thread on September 1 2008, at 04:39 AM GMT.
I take judicial notice that The North Pacific has been in a state of war with a foreign region, a status which has constitutional implication in the matter before us.

While the actual facts are not in dispute, the application of those facts to the legal principles in place under the organic documents that govern The North Pacific is not as clear. (The "organic documents" is a shorthand way of rewferring to the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, and the Legal Code.)

Article I, Section 3, Clause 7, of the Constitution provides that “Candidates for these elected officials [Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker, Council of Lower Officials] must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin. The only other provision, in the Legal Code, concerning the time frame of an election cycle is contained in Law 26, which sets the months during which an election cycle is to take place. Nowhere in our organic documents is anything stated about the time period when nominations take place, or how long nominations may be made, in the election cycle.

Under Article V, Section 2, we are obliged as a Court:

2. All matters of judicial review to examine the constitutionality of Government policies, actions, and laws are to be brought before the full three-member Judiciary.
3. The official opinions crafted as a result of judicial review are to be binding upon all agents, officers, agencies, and Government bodies of TNP. If a policy, action, or law is deemed unconstitutional, any evidence collected via these unconstitutional means is inadmissible in the Assembly or in any TNP court of law.

We are obliged to view all proceedings in this Court in the light of the provisions of the Bill of Rights; in this instance, Clauses 10 and 11:

10. Each Nation entitled to a vote in any manner under the fundamental laws of the region is entitled to the equal treatment and protection of that Nation's right to vote.
11. No governmental authority of the region has the power to suspend or disregard this Constitution or the Legal Code In the event of an actual emergency, the governmental authorities of the region, with the express consent of the Nations of the region or their representatives, is authorized to act in any reasonable manner that is consistent as practicable with the pertinent provisions of this Constitution.

While it is undisputed that as of the time nominations actually opened, neither Tresville nor Rhindon Blade had been members of the Assembly in good standing for 30 days, it is also undisputed that at the time Tresville posted his reinstatement oath on August 5, no election calendar had been established that contained a statement of the nominations period for the elections to be held in September of 2008. Thus, Tresville had no notice that his reinstatement as a member of the Assembly under Law 28 would take place within 30 days before nominations opened. In this respect, he was deprived of the protection afforded under portions of Clause 9 of the Bill of Rights, namely that:

No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of this Constitution.
In my view, the failure of the Assembly to enact clear rules for the conduct of elections, including a complete election calendar and the failure of the Delegate to timely designate Election Commissioners and charge their duties to conduct the election, is the primary cause of the inadvertent failure for Tresville to have been reinstated in the Assembly more than 30 days prior to nomination. (Reference Constitution, Article II, Section 3, Clause 6; and Article III, Section 1.) I have been unable to ascertain under what provisions of our organic law the Speaker had the legal authority to open the nominations thread when he did since that would be a function of executive function, which are the responsibility of the Delegate and his appointees.

Rhindon Blade, however, presents a different result. While his application to join the Assembly took place on 26 August, the earliest reference in the records of his acceptance into the Assembly is on 1 September, approximately one hour after the Speaker opened a nominations thread. No matter the other problems surrounding the election process, the failure of Rhindon Blade to meet the 30 day requirement is inescapable and conclusively established.

We now turn to the question of a remedy in general, and the particulae remedy sought by Joshua.

While the Court “is invested with the powers and obligation to investigate the constitutionality of Government policies, actions, and laws,” we are not vested with the power to creating a remedy. Further, the language of the Constitution does not give the Court the power to provide an advisory opinion as to whether a proposed action may be constitutional. The remedy to the questions currounding the eligibility of Tresville to stand as a candidate for Delegate, which were not determined until after the election results were announced, is a political question that must be determined by the Delegate or his appointees, the Assembly (including any action that may be initiated by the Council of Lower Officials), or both.

I am not convinced that Tresville’s election was unconstitutional or that he can be found ineligible in this election because of the denial of due process rendered to Tresville in not having prior notice of the election schedule so that he would have an opportunity to assure his eligibility under the 30-day provision, and the consequential inequity rendered to the right to vote held by all nations as protected under the Bill of Rights.

On the other hand, Rhindon Blade was not admitted to the Assembly until after nominations had actually opened. There are no concieveable set of facts that I can find that legitimates a candidacy under those circumstances. However, as with Tresville, the remedy for Rhindon Blade’s situation is a political question that must be determined by the Delegate or his appointees, or by the Assembly (including any action that may be initiated by the Council of Lower Officials), or both.

In both instances, once a remedy is formally determined by the Delegate, the Assembly, (including any action that may be initiated by the Council of Lower Officials) or both, then this Court can legitimately determine whether that action is specifically constitutional.

Accordingly, I would deny the petition, and return this matter to the Regional Assembly to resolve in such manner as it sees fits, or allow the Delegate or his designated Election Commissioners to address the matter.

ASSOCIATE JUSTICEROMANOFFIA, concuring in part and dissenting in part:

While I concur in the judgement of the Court, I dissent in order to state my views on this matter.

1. If we simply allow the election to stand we are in conflict of the Constitutional provisions concerning the validity of a candidate to run for office or be nominated as such.

"7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.."

Clearly both candidates are in violation.

To simply let the election stand or hold a new election with the same candidates in question would allow both candidates in question to skirt the Constitution would cast doubts upon the credibility of this government, the Constitution and the Court.

2. If we hold another election, it would give the appearance of legitimizing the candidacy of two candidates who knowingly and willingly applied to run for office of the Delegate in violation of constitutional provisions thus showing a disregard for the Constitution. To hold another election including the disqualified candidates would cast doubts upon the credibility of this government and the Court.

It is to be presumed that any candidate who knowingly manages to get admitted to the ballot by error, negligence or contrivance would be disqualified from participating in a run-off or re-do of an election by principle of due diligence on the part of said candidates or election officials.

3. If we hold the two candidates who are in violation of constitutional provisions as 'invalid candidates' and then make the next highest vote-getter the Delegate we would be adhering to the Constitution in detail without having to either legislate from the bench or have the RA create an ex post facto law to deal with this matter. It would then be only logical to accept the next highest valid candidate with the most votes as Delegate. In the absence of a 'next qualifying' candidate, a new election excluding the violators in question should he conducted immediately as though the nominations and elections were being held at the original date, thus back-dating the issue without affecting the actual dates of term. The Present Delegate would remain delegate until replaced.

The logic behind The following three items is as follows:

I.

To permit the two disqualified candidates to participate in another election for Delegate would only excuse the violation of the Constitution and applicable laws and violate the rights of the legitimate candidates at the time of the initial election. Since the two candidates were in violation of the election rules by Constitution, any re-vote should exclude the violators who by one means or another, negligent or not, from the new vote. There is to much of a chance that such a critical error being used as a political tool in the future as to set a precedent allowing election law violators (ignorance of the law is no excuse nor is negligence in due diligence) to simply wait until the conditions excluding them pass and then go for another election.

II. Permitting candidates disqualified in an initial election to run in a 're-do' of an election would only permit violators of election laws to skirt the Constitution. Thus, but candidates strictly in violation of law and Constitution should be disqualified in any re-run of an election. To permit those initially disqualified in the original election, which concerning the other valid candidates is still legitimate, would violate their rights as provided under the Constitution.

III. Lacking a third candidate with a plurality or simple majority, a new election should be conducted as excluding any invalid candidtates.

Back