Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
Resolution at vote:
Prevention of Terrorism

A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

Category: International Security

Strength: Significant

Proposed by: Atrigea

Description: Measures to prevent international terrorism which endangers or takes innocent human lives or jeopardizes fundamental HUMAN RIGHTS and CIVIL FREEDOMS.

The World Assembly hereby,

REALIZING of the importance of expanding and improving international co-operation among WA States, on a bilateral and multilateral basis, which will contribute to the elimination of acts of international terrorism and their underlying causes and to the prevention and elimination of this criminal scourge,

NOTICING the principle of the inalienable right to self-determination and independence of all peoples under rogue regimes and other forms of alien domination, and upholding the legitimacy of their struggle, in particular the struggle of national and regional liberation movements, in accordance with the purposes and principles of the Nationstates in accordance with the World Assembly,

1. Unequivocally condemns, as criminal, all acts, methods and practices of terrorism wherever and by whomever committed, including those which jeopardize friendly relations among WA States in their regions and their security;

2. Deeply deplores the loss of innocent human lives which results from such acts of terrorism, the pernicious impact of acts of international terrorism on relations of co-operation among WA States, including co-operation ;

3.Invites all WA States to take all appropriate measures at the national level with a view to the speedy and final elimination of the problem of international terrorism, such as fulfilment of assumed international obligations, and the prevention of the preparation and organization in their respective territories of acts directed against other WA States and Regions;

4.Calls upon all States to fulfil their obligations under international law to refrain from organizing, instigating, assisting or participating in terrorist acts in other WA States, or acquiescing in activities within their region directed towards the commission of such acts;

5.Urges all WA States not to allow any circumstances to obstruct the application of appropriate law enforcement measures provided for in the relevant conventions to which they are party to persons who commit acts of international terrorism covered by those conventions;

6.Further urges all WA States, unilaterally and in co-operation with other WA States, as well as World Assembly, to contribute to the progressive elimination of the causes underlying international terrorism and to pay special attention to all situations, including situations involving mass and flagrant violations of fundamental human rights and civil freedoms and those involving alien occupation, that may give rise to international terrorism and may endanger international peace and security;

Please vote FOR or AGAINST, linking to your TNP WA nation.

At first, this seemed very simple. Terrorism = Bad Thing & WA doesn't like Bad Things.

But a more critical study leaves me with a question.

What are the "acts, methods and practices of terrorism"? Who gets to decide what falls into these categories (ie what is or is not terrorism)? It may seem easy, at first, to define terrorism but to do so without a bias from your people's own experiences and beliefs is much harder that it seems. For example, while generally abhorring direct harm to noncombatants, the assorted tribes and clans of Eloheim have historically favored the use of harassment against the families of enemies as well as attacks against livestock, food stores, and residences as a means of discouraging opposing forces. This is not terrorism by our view but may well be seen as such by others. Considering further that there are many instances of the common practices of one culture being seen as criminal by another, it begs to question just what the WA's definition of terrorism is or should be.

Furthermore, it seems presumptuous that the Resolution see fit to create a label for cause of terrorism and empower the WA to eliminate it. Again, who is to determine what is or is not a cause of terrorism and fit to receive this label and its destructive attention?

There is far too much that is vague and easily corrupted or abused for me to rest soundly supporting such empowerment. I would not make the mistake of haste twice, though, and would enjoy the council of my Regional peers before finalizing my opposition to this Resoultion.

So far I agree with Krowe. The whole thing is too nebulous and redundant in the fact that it asks nations and regions of good repute to do exactly what they do anyway.

One addition item I have problem with:

5.Urges all WA States not to allow any circumstances to obstruct the application of appropriate law enforcement measures provided for in the relevant conventions to which they are party to persons who commit acts of international terrorism covered by those conventions;

It reduces terrorist acts sponsored by states and regions to a 'law enforcement' issue. Terrorism conducted by states and regions is an act of war calling for military action, not a whistle for a bobby on a bicycle.

Too nebulous in its definitions. Open to too much interpretation. And as Krowe states, who gets to define a terrorist act? Such a resolution, as written, is likely to cause more and frequent wars (or at least give a justification for wars) than to prevent wars.

IOW, the resolution is goofy, at best, as written.

As a terrorist myself I strongly object to this outrageous blindsiding by the World Assembly! We have rights too you know! International terrorism should be protected under law!

Thank you GBM, I need that support... :)

I know, am not an experienced player like others in the region, not skilled in the art legislation writing... I know better resolutions can be written and passed regarding terrorism, but where are they now. ?

Everybody is critising ang arguing about the definitions, about how toothless the resolution is e.tc. BUT I don't see any legislation about terrorism on WA floor except this one. No one ever dared to submit one...

Now, I also know that this could be repealed, I now better ones can be submitted. It is not so important at all, for me that was a challange. I am confident that this will pass and I wish my region TNP will not "vote against" this Resolution, it would be very unfortunate...

As I said this can be repealed, until a better worded and defined Resolution regarding terrorism comes to the floor lets let this one live.

If I have a right of vote here it's FOR.

Thank you all.

As a terrorist myself I strongly object to this outrageous blindsiding by the World Assembly! We have rights too you know! International terrorism should be protected under law!
One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist, I always say!

*Eats deviled eggs, beer and drinks heaps of beer. Flicks a match and says, "Nobody move or we all go up in flames!"

Fartman...

Everybody is critising ang arguing about the definitions, about how toothless the resolution is e.tc. BUT I don't see any legislation about terrorism on  WA floor except this one. No one ever dared to submit one...

Now, I also know that this could be repealed, I now better ones can be submitted. It is not so important at all, for me that was a challange. I am confident that this will pass and I wish my region TNP will not "vote against" this Resolution, it would be very unfortunate...

Thank you all.

Was the Boston Tea Party a terrorist event?

I wouldd like to invite, recommend, urge, and call upon you to submit your proposals to the WA section of the jolt forum so it can be worked upon before the actual submission.

(you'll notice, though, that I didn't demand it of you)

As I said this can be repealed, until a better worded and defined Resolution regarding terrorism comes to the floor lets let this one live.

Duplication

If the majority of your Proposal is covered by an existing Resolution, your Proposal is toast. We've got enough of these things already, we don't need to double up (i.e. the WA has already banned landmines, we don't need to do it again). As an aside, since the WA has already banned biological weapons, you don't need to include it in your Proposal to ban nuclear and chemical ones. (see: House of Cards)

If a better one tried to be submitted, it would be deleted by the game moderators, as it would be duplicating your efforts. That's why the WA Jolters are so um... testy. It needs to be repealed first (like the "right to a fair trial" was), and the resolution cannot be ammended (due to coding issues).

Read about repeals here

Personally, as you use the word urges so much, i'm suprised that it wasn't deleted on a strength violation.

NO VOTE CAST

While I would endeavor to support peers within this region, I cannot in good conscience vote for a resolution that leaves so much to be desired. The fact that it can later be repealed and improved upon is not a valid reason to pass but, instead, should be the very reason why it is opposed and a better defined proposal placed before the WA.

The Nomadic Peoples of Eloheim vote AGAINST this resolution.

The intention of this proposal is admirable, but lacks one major attribute:

What is terrorism?

Suicide bombings? Or duck-shooting? Aircraft hijacking? Or coffee drinking?

When 'outlawing' something, that 'something' must be clearly and accurately defined to be effective in any way. Otherwise, unfortunately, nothing is being 'prevented' at all.

On the flipside - it is quite detrimental to the WA, as this is giving governments the power to call terrorism anything they want, subsequently giving rulers the power to "contribute to the progressive elimination" of whatever they choose to label as terrorism.

I'll be casting my vote against this.

The intention of this proposal is admirable, but lacks one major attribute:

What is terrorism?

Suicide bombings? Or duck-shooting? Aircraft hijacking? Or coffee drinking?

When 'outlawing' something, that 'something' must be clearly and accurately defined to be effective in any way. Otherwise, unfortunately, nothing is being 'prevented' at all.

On the flipside - it is quite detrimental to the WA, as this is giving governments the power to call terrorism anything they want, subsequently giving rulers the power to "contribute to the progressive elimination" of whatever they choose to label as terrorism.

I'll be casting my vote against this.
:clap:

I'm glad that there are some strict constructionalists out there in the world!

I vote AYE

EDIT: not that is relevant

"Laws have been enacted to bring the Republic of nationname into compliance with the World Assembly resolution "Prevention of Terrorism"."

It saddens me as Speaker to see that my people have lost the endorsement of Atrigea, presumably in response to our disagreement regarding their Resolution. It is further disappointment as the disagreement in no way hindered the passing of the Resolution.

To have even one such petty neighbor is upsetting.

It saddens me as Speaker to see that my people have lost the endorsement of Atrigea, presumably in response to our disagreement regarding their Resolution. It is further disappointment as the disagreement in no way hindered the passing of the Resolution.

To have even one such petty neighbor is upsetting.
Isnt that a bit of a irelevant thing to post here?

I see... so extortion, blame-shifting, and general lack of polite communication are a regular part of Regional interaction here? This is a good thing to know.

Back