At Vote: Nuclear Arms Possession Act

Sydia

TNPer
Nuclear Arms Possession Act

A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

Category: International Security

Strength: Mild

Proposed by: Flibbleites

Description: REALIZING that WA members are outnumbered by non members by about 3 to 1,

ACKNOWLEDGING the fact that only WA members are required to comply with WA resolutions,

NOTICING the fact that many non member nations are hostile towards WA members,

REALIZING that the WA members need to be able to defend themselves if attacked,

1. DECLARES that WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons to defend themselves from hostile nations,

2. PRESERVES the right for individual nations to decide if they want to possess nuclear weapons,

3. REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

Hope no-one minds me taking the liberty, I didn't see a topic.

Basically says "Have nuclear weapons, if you want," for most of it; rendering it at first glance pointless (how would it make any different from before?); but is saved by article 3. In fact the proposal could just be article 3 for what it's worth; as that's the only bit that actually changes anything.

FOR.

The resolution is meaningless and restricts national and regional sovereignty by essentially handing a monopoly on nuclear weapons to the WA and giving them the authority to be thugs over non-WA nations.

AGAINST!

Pointless. Furthermore, I don't understand how possessing nuclear weapons of our own would protect us from a nuclear attack. I suppose it gives us leverage, but doesn't that run against the message of the WA? That we are an organisation of peaceful nations? Or something?

AGAINST

Back