Another short absence

LJ ahoy.

This pregnancy went pretty normally, until the first week of April. Christi (the wife) had extra sonograms due to elevated blood pressure, and the last one revealed the dreaded "abnormality". A space where there should not have been a space. So, we were scheduled for a Level II sonogram with the nearest perinatalogist, in beautiful Wichita Kansas. We made a day of it. The expectation was that the space (or bubble) was a transient issue,would be all gone by the LII sono, and bob's your uncle.

The bubble was not transient.

The diagnosis was duodenal atresia - a congenital malformation of the bowel, in which the second section of the small intestine fails to re-open at 8 weeks after conception, resulting in a complete obstruction of the tract. This requires surgery, as obviously the baby will not be able to feed if it isn't corrected. The surgery is not without risk, but is a fairly well-known and well established procedure.

Thirty percent of cases of duodenal atresia are caused by trisomy 21, AKA Down's syndrome.

There are tests for Down's syndrome. The test would take 2-3 weeks to get back. By that time, the baby will most likely be delivered.

So my wife and I have been sitting for 2 weeks, facing the very, very real possibility of raising a child with special needs ranging from diet to actual development. But not knowing.

Wondering.

At 4:30 Thursday, my wife went into labor. We got to ride in an ambulance 1 1/2 hours from here to Wichita, so the baby could go directly into surgery for a bowel resection/gastrostomy. NICU was ready - we had three weeks of recovery time booked out and planned.

At 12:21, my daughter was born. The neonatologist, with whom we had been talking since the diagnosis, let us know the score.

Long story short (ened), three doctors misread the sono. The bubble ended up being an ovarian cyst -uncommon in infants, but not a big deal by any means. No intervention required. She is absolutely fine and healthy by every relevant standard.
The daughter who was looking at 3 weeks of hospitalization, and very possibly a lifetime of support, is home 42 hours after being born.

I am the happiest motherfucker on the planet.

Back