At Vote: World Assembly Headquarters

Great Bights Mum

Grande Dame
-
-
-
-
This is surely one of the better resolutions to come across my desk. Please let me know what you think.

World Assembly Headquarters
A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Category: Political Stability
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Omigodtheykilledkenny

Description: The ambassadors and observers to the NationStates World Assembly:

Laboring to pay attention after lengthy drinking binges last night at a well-known local pub (which, for purposes of this resolution, and for liability reasons, cannot be named);

Acknowledging the importance of international cooperation and understanding;

Applauding the efforts of international diplomatic organizations such as the World Assembly for their promotion of international goodwill;

Stressing the need for maintaining facilities for the furtherance of these activities;

Believing that a WA Headquarters, as a symbol of international unity and harmony, would help legitimize the World Assembly as an instrument of international law, and member states as partners in its creation;

Ignoring the findings of a recent census of WA diplomats, revealing a disturbing prevalence among international envoys of "drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, dear little kiddies, honest family types" and militant machistas;

Declaring, nonetheless, that it would be nice for these inmates to have an asylum to run;

Hereby:

Establishes the World Assembly Office of Building Management (OBM), the duties of which shall entail:
- locating suitable real estate for the establishment of international headquarters for the NationStates World Assembly
- constructing and maintaining the facilities necessary to house these headquarters
- furnishing the necessary security to protect the headquarters complex and all who use it
- selling contracts to vendors, retailers and other service providers to offer products or services, or operate local chapters, offices or franchises, within WA-controlled territory
- supplying access to available office space for WA agencies and all member and observer nations who request it, provided the requests are reasonable and appreciative of the OBM's limited time and resources
- ignoring or delaying requests for office space for weeks on end;

Declares that the headquarters for the World Assembly shall be located on international neutral territory, and that regular WA facilities shall not be subject to the jurisdiction of any nation;

Stipulates that fair compensation must be granted to nations who willingly, per international agreement, cede part of their territory for this purpose;

Determines that in addition to its regular duties the OBM, as a self-sustaining entity, shall determine fair and reasonable rental fees for all nations who maintain office space at WA Headquarters, and additional fees for nations who regularly use WA facilities;

Grants the OBM exclusive authority to increase, decrease or waive these fees as circumstances warrant;

Requires member states to respect the authority of the OBM over assigning offices at WA Headquarters, and invoicing nations for use of WA facilities.

It's well-written and even humorous. For this, I can excuse the fact that it will hit political freedoms slightly.

Meh. I think it's sad when people don't look past the headline to the text. I'll take a well-written, sensible "restrict civil liberties" over a "disarmament" resolution that runs "omg lets all make luv not war!!111" any day.

Back