Eluvatar's Constitutional Amendment

THe fact that there isn't a registered voter group now (and an option to be in the RA) does not mean that there was originally such a system under the last Constitution, or that such a system might not be preferable.

There are those who want to participate in the region without involvement with the RA; under our system of voluntary participation in the affairs of the region, one can legitimately argue that requiring RA membership to perform such unelected functions as the military, intelligence or diplomatic services goes contrary to the sense of voluntary participation.

Her Majesty, Queen Mab, tends to agree; however, the members of the Assembly are not forced to do anything other than maintain the requirements for membership, which are simple enough. Queen Mab does not believe that there is a good enough reason why nations cannot join the RA simply to vote and participate.

There is no registered voter group! Being in the Assembly is equivalent to being registered as a voter! There is no barrier against joining the Assembly!

*sigh*

Also, this is totally irrelevant to my amendment :cry:
Elu, I can understand your frustration given the unusually long period of debate. But to shove such vital changes to our constitution during the civil war would've cheated the many members who have become North Pacificans through our shared struggle. Now's the time to rebuild, to really make a Constitution representative of all of us.

Also you wanted a debate right? Well you got one, and now you can impress us all with your yoda schtick.

I'm not frustrated so much by the long wait as by the argument in this thread about things utterly and completely unrelated to my amendment <_<

Also, the changes are mostly semantic.

Denying the right of the people to not directly elect their leaders would be something I hardly consider semantic.

Not everyone may want to join the RA, so they shouldn't be forced. The current way of selecting officials by direct popular election is fine and I don't see any problem with that :) :ADN:

Huh?

My amendment doesn't change how elections work.....

The Constitution already has elections by the Assembly.

8. Election of these offices the Speaker of the Assembly, CLO, and Judiciary officials shall require a plurality vote of the Regional Assembly.

This is what I was referring to. I don't see why it has to be exclusive for only RA members to vote and not all citizens of TNP. Not everyone wants to be in the RA so why force them ? :ADN:

Queen Mab wishes to help the representative of Govindia, as slow as he is, to understand the situation. Thine argument is a separate issue and one irrelevant to THIS debate. This is not a forum to change the way of things in this region, but a forum to, Queen Mab supposes, streamline current language used.

If thou wishes to change the way of things, then submit thine own amendment for consideration by the Assembly.

I am not "slow", so please watch your disrespectful tone and show some courtesy here.

It's relevant to this discussion. I am asking a simple question of what's wrong with allowing the people to democratically elect those officials since we are a democracy. People have various reasons for not wishing to join the RA so why force them? I am hoping Eluvatar, the author of this bill, will kindly clarify :) :ADN:

A slight OT history lesson:

When the constitutionl government was first established the class of those who could vote were "registered voters." (See the Blackshear constitution, When the Regional Assembly was first established as the result of the post-Pixiedance constitutional convention, it was made an option that Registered Voters could choose to join as they wished. About a year later, some felt that was too complicated to understand, so the class of registered voters were merged into the Regional Assembly membership, and that is why you have to be a RA member to hold office or to vote.

That is why the current rule is that one has to be a RA member to hold office, as well as to be able to vote in elections.

On topic, while this thread will remain active during the vote, the voting thread for this and the judicial election should be up later on today/tonight.

Govindia, those parts of my proposal which are not blue consist of text that is the law as it stands. The law as it stands is that the (Regional) Assembly elects the various offices. This proposal does not change that.

If you want to change that, make your own proposal. What you're talking about is not germane to this one.

Back