At vote: The World Assembly

Great Bights Mum

Grande Dame
-
-
-
-
It looks like a biggie, so post your views here.

The following resolution is being debated by the WA. If it passes, it will immediately take effect in all WA member nations.

The World Assembly
A resolution to establish administrative parameters.

Category: Book-keeping
Strength: Sweeping
Proposed by: Maxtopia

Description: The Adopted Nations of the World Assembly,

NOTING that the United Nations has spectacularly imploded in a colossal fireball of extra-dimensional inanity;

BELIEVING that there is a vital and needed role for a global organizational body;

FURTHER NOTING that there are an awful lot of United Nations Resolutions;

FURTHER BELIEVING that the demise of the United Nations may be fashioned into a grand opportunity for nations to draw a new destiny;

HEREBY

1. ESTABLISHES the World Assembly as the natural successor to the United Nations, with the full transfer of all Delegate ranks and associated endorsements;

2. ARCHIVES all previously passed UN Resolutions for historical purposes, so that citizens of today may forever look back upon the masterwork of their ancestors;

3. DECLARES the pages of international law to be blank;

4. INVITES members of the World Assembly to begin work on a new volume, which may in time exceed even the grandeur of its predecessor.

Votes For: 7,581

Votes Against: 1,892

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: Sun Apr 6 2008

Your Regional WA Delegate, Lewis and Clark, has not voted on this resolution

I'm wondering the same.

I suspect that the game mods are relying on it passing, and I don't even know if they have contingency plans if it fails.

But regardless of that, I've voted for it just on principle. I believe we need international legislation. My only criticism is that it contains a clause that deletes all the old resolutions.

Yeah, I was kinda disheartened that all the resolutions in the UN's history have been rendered ultimately pointless. Well, the were ultimate pointless to begin with, but now moreso.

It doesn't look like it will fail, so this may be academic. But if it did fail, it could possibly be reworked to include the old body of resolutions. The only thing I regret about the current proposal is that the nations who drafted the old resolutions and lobbied for their passage will have their work relegated to an archive.

It doesn't look like it will fail, so this may be academic.
Probably quite true, but it still remains interesting. After the "no-prank", results could be surprising. So let us throw some dice.
The only thing I regret about the current proposal is that the nations who drafted the old resolutions and lobbied for their passage will have their work relegated to an archive.
Well, the UN does not exist any more, so it would be archived anyway or simply abandoned? :blink: Really too late today to think about such things...

edit: I vote FOR

I voted for the WA resolution as it gives us a clean slate to prevent restrictive sovereignty robbing regulations/resolutions.

If the resolution doesn't pass, I suspect that all the existing UN resolutions will be translated over to WA resolutions, and there were a lot of silly and even offensive UN resolutions that passed.

Again, we have a clean slate on the WA to affect resolutions that promote regional and national sovereignty instead of restricting those concepts.

R

As the sponsor of the resolution that attained the highest number of affirmative votes (and one of the highest proportions for approval) in the UN era, I as much as anyone am disappointed that the RL mechanics of satisfying the demands of the cease-and-desist require everything referencing the UN has to be set aside.

It's a regretable by-product of the situation, and I don't think there's much that can be done about it, whether the resolution passes or not. The result will be the same, we will have to start over. However, I wonder if this resolution sets a new precedent of allow WA votes on some aspects of in-game mechanics. Now, that's something worth discussing.

Given the nature of this resolution, I am fairly sure that it will not set any precedent. It was proposed and carried to the floor by the administration without any user input. There will be no other resolution like this in the future.

---

Furthermore, I propose that the UN archives be traversed for the most significant / well-written resolutions, and that these be immediately resubmitted with a few improvements. Such a motion may already be underway...

Back