What now?

Right, so a constitution has been passed, we're late for elections, they're having unofficial campaigns, and the RA is somewhat inactive. What now?

Well, my take:

At the moment, we await the Constitution results from the Cabinet. But as has been hinted elsewhere, the level of activity in the Cabinet is of concern in obtaining a quick resolution.

Meanwhile, the unofficial campaigns lose steam while they wait for some word of official elections....which again hinge upon Cabinet action.

It's difficult to have an active RA when it is waiting on actions to be taken elsewhere, before it can really take any further action. Little point in working under the current constitution, if a new one is about to be instituted. But we can't really work under the new constitution, because it is yet unapproved.

Meanwhile......who will be the next rogue delegate while we wait ? :P

*Still waiting for things to get rolling*

The other question is whether or not the number of votes case for a constitutional change meets the quorum requirements.

I do speak some arabic but I can't get the script to work well on my computer. I will attempt to transliterate it.

Askun fe Ann Arbor. Ana talib fe al jamiat Michigan. Adruz al adab haciacia.

Before Gross says anything I'm going to throw out the usual platitudes.

The cabinet will have X amount of days to decide. There is progress, but proper procedure must be followed.

If the proposals do not get approved by a majority of the Cabinet (5) within 15 days, then it comes back to the RA for a decision on whether to make any changes to get Cabine approval, or for a second vote in the RA. The difference would be the second vote would require a three-fourths approval.

If RA members want to speed things up, I would suggest them PM, and post to each Cabinet Minister as soon as possible.

Is it possible to send out a mass PM to all the cabinet members and RA giving a specific time period to respond, and if response is not met, we revolk their status and start over with a new membership campagin?

Is it possible to send out a mass PM to all the cabinet members and RA giving a specific time period to respond, and if response is not met, we revolk their status and start over with a new membership campagin?
Not sure about a mass PM, but one of the forum admins can send out a mass e-mail to the necessary folks.

The Cabinet could be impeached for failure to act on the RA's proposal, failure to keep all Cabinet posts filled to keep the government operational, failure to hold elections......

Mass mailings - I've been waiting for Flem to provide a current up-to-date list of RA members for quite a while and I still haven't seen one. It would make any mass PM mailings a piece of guesswork, since there are almost certainly persons with a RA mask who are no longer eligible for the RA.

I'm doing what I can to prod the Cabinet; if we get to 15 days then the proposals will come back to the RA for a second and final vote.

Until ratification occurs, the current Constitution remains in effect.

The Cabinet could be impeached for failure to act on the RA's proposal, failure to keep all Cabinet posts filled to keep the government operational, failure to hold elections......
Hell, if you're going to impeach cabinet members for that, they'll have to join the queue...

The election laws (TNP Legal Code 3 and 5) aren't enforced under the new Constitution, only that the Del serves no more than 4 months. After the new Consititution is ratified one would think that the election would start immediately.

That would mean an election with no process or procedure, which would lead to chaos. Nope. Don't think that's gonna work too well.
The past election procedure would probably have to stand as guidelines for immediate elections, or somehow we'd have to wait for the RA to pass a new law on election procedures before elections proceeded.

Mass mailings - I've been waiting for Flem to provide a current up-to-date list of RA members for quite a while and I still haven't seen one. It would make any mass PM mailings a piece of guesswork, since there are almost certainly persons with a RA mask who are no longer eligible for the RA.

I'm doing what I can to prod the Cabinet; if we get to 15 days then the proposals will come back to the RA for a second and final vote.

Until ratification occurs, the current Constitution remains in effect.
Just send out an mass e-mail. And if folks start posting who are no longer eligible for the RA then you can change their mask. Inaction does not help.

Just send out an mass e-mail. And if folks start posting who are no longer eligible for the RA then you can change their mask. Inaction does not help.

...Which is exactly why we need to force a reaction. Put out an ultimatum via mass email to all cabinet members and RA that if they do not respond in a given period of time, new members will be elected from those who are now active in the forums, and the political process will move on from there!

Surely you don't need an updated RA list to send email out to the RA masked accounts. For those that actually are no longer eligible to vote, just use the list currently available - use what we've got, not what we wish we had - to make it happen.

But there's no point in emailing RA members at the moment, the Cabinet is the major point of concern. Pehaps the RA should pass a resolution to encourage the Cabinet to action.

Declaration of The Regional Assembly of The North Pacific

Be it hereby resolved by The Regional Assembly of The North Pacific, that the The Cabinet of The North Pacific is inactive and ineffective, leading to a failure of the government, and increasing risk to the security of the region.  This comes at a critical time of transition with a new Constitution awaiting a response from The Cabinet.

The Cabinet is hereby placed on notice that failure to deliver a result on the new Constitution passed by the Regional Assembly within the alloted 15 days, will lead to action to remove the Cabinet and retain all governmental authority unto the Regional Assembly.  The Regional Assembly, representing all active citizen nations, must take this action in order to ensure the security of the region and procees with the transition to a new Constitution.

Further, all Cabinet members are required to voice their activity to the Regional Assembly, by replying in a Cabinet Roll Call thread.  Cabinet members shall have three days to respond to the Roll Call.  If a Cabinet member fails to respond to the Roll Call in the given three days, the Regional Assembly will begin their removal.

Aye

2 addendums to this decree:

1. Give specific start/end dates for both the 15 day and 3 day allotment
2. Remove Begin Removal and make it just straignt Removal

Okay, here ya go -

Declaration of The Regional Assembly of The North Pacific

Be it hereby resolved by The Regional Assembly of The North Pacific, that the The Cabinet of The North Pacific is inactive and ineffective, leading to a failure of the government, and increasing risk to the security of the region.  This comes at a critical time of transition with a new Constitution awaiting a response from The Cabinet.

The Cabinet is hereby placed on notice that failure to deliver a result on the new Constitution passed by the Regional Assembly within the alloted 15 days, will lead to removal of the Cabinet. All governmental authority will be retained unto the Regional Assembly.  The Regional Assembly, representing all active citizen nations, must take this action in order to ensure the security of the region and procees with the transition to a new Constitution.

The allotted 15 day period began when Speaker Grosseschnauzer announced the Constitutional voting results here, on November 20, 2007

The 15 day period ends on December 5, 2007.

Further, all Cabinet members are required to voice their activity to the Regional Assembly, by replying in a Cabinet Roll Call thread.  Cabinet members shall have three days to respond to the Roll Call.  If a Cabinet member fails to respond to the Roll Call in the given three days, the Regional Assembly will begin their removal.

The Roll Call thread shall be started upon passage.

Great! since we've got some backing now, lets put this up in the bulletin on the header so everyone will know whats going on. No sitting on our laurels.

Sending PMs are usually far more effective than threats. The Cabinet did not recieve the proposals until the 21st, so for the record they have until December 6th.

At the moment only one nominally sctive ministry has yet to respond, and that Minister and their deputy have now been sent PMs.

Please keep in mind that if the Cabinet does happen to fail to act, then the two proposals return to the RA for a second, and fnal vote.

OOC: Folks should keep in mind that last week was Thanksgiving in the U.S., and folks often take the whole week or so off. (i.e., from Friday the 16thh to Sunday the 25th). Weather might ot might not been an issue, but I'm not aware of any major problems this year.

At this point a revolution would probably go unnoticed. :P

Hey, I've got a brilliant idea - why not just amend the current constitution to add in an 'inactivity' clause that permits the Delegate to appoint a special council from active RA members to act should inactivity become a problem? Have an automatic clause that enacts MO's constitution for a period of two weeks at a time until the problem is remedies.

As it is now, we are heading towards a provisional government situation if activity doesn't get going.

And at this point, I'd be very happy with a TWP model for a constitution, frankly speaking.

I agree with both Grosses and stroganoff. Thanksgiving is a time which most people around the US spend with family and whatnot, and now that we're in full holiday mode over here, im sure it is going to get little better if at all. I think that a permanently provisional government should be practiced because of IRL situations, some people, no matter the level of responsibility they may have, might go quite a while without fulfilling duties necessary of them.

Hey, I've got a brilliant idea - why not just amend the current constitution to add in an 'inactivity' clause

There is already a law on the books. Perhaps it should be enforced.

TNP LAW 24
Cabinet Inactivity Amendment

Section 3 of Law 16 is amended as follows:

TNP Law 16
Section 3. Removal of a Cabinet-level positionholder due to inactivity.
A - As used in this section, “inactivity” refers to the failure of the holder of a Cabinet-level position to post in their Ministry or the cabinet forums log into his or her forum user account at the official off-site Regional forum for more than 14 consecutive days without prior public notice, or prior private notice to the Prime Minister and the Deputy Minister of the particular Ministry.

Or Perhaps Law 16 needs to be amended to allow the RA to take action, in the event that the Cabinet fails to do so.

Good question.

Proposals require a 60% approval of the RA to become law. They do not require Cabinet approval (as far as I can tell).

Constitutional amendments require Cabinet approval. If the Cabinet does not approve the amendment, the author of the amendment may ask for a override vote, which then requires 3/4 vote (with a quorum of 20 required).

The Speaker and the Cabinet are proceeding with Monte's Constitution as if it is a Constitutional Amendment, which is the most logical way to proceed. However, the spirit of Monte's constitution is to replace, not to amend the Constitution. *shrugs*

There are 2 proposals -- M.O,'s and the separation of the D.O,R, as a separate document. They're both amendments of less than the whole Constitution.

Back