Power of Expulsion

This was part of the old Constitution and I wish to add it to the new legal code. Basically, if the Delegate and the Courts fail to recognize or unable to respond to a threat the Assembly shall have the power to vote someone out.

Legal Code:

1) Any Assembly member can call a referendum vote of the Regional Assembly for the immediate expulsion of any member of the North Pacific.
2) If more than half of the Regional Assembly Members who cast a vote in that thread, with a quorum participating, vote in favor of an ejection within a 24 hour period, then the Nation will be ejected by the Delegate.

the author would like more feedback into whether a super majority or plain majority will be required.

given the short time frame, I advise against a super majority but am maleable...

One difficulty I forsee would be getting enough active voters in a 24 hour period to gain a quorum to move for an expulsion.

One difficulty I forsee would be getting enough active voters in a 24 hour period to gain a quorum to move for an expulsion.
A quorum means something different than what it used to I believe.

Something like half the RA list which is currently unknown...

however, we've used this mechanism before and have been successfull in gathering a large enough mob with the requisite pitchforks and torches

I think at this time we should give the speaker power to remove all members that appear inactive.

I suggest a 2/3 majority because if 1 person is the difference-maker, it doesn't really express the opinion of the people. I agree with L&C. A strong majority vote of expulsion.

There appears to be a continuing disagreement on what proportion should be required to approve. Keep in mind that for all practical purposes the old quprum was 20; it was easier to get 20 than an actual majority of the RA membership -- the only time we ever did was to vote to move the forums from Old Blue to here.

The new Constitution does not contain a quorum requirement, it does not contain any requirements whatsoever, other than what is required to adopt a constitutional amendment, and that the Delegate may veto a proposed law passed with lesss than 60 percent approval.

I'm going yo move this along to formal discussion; that will allow further discussion about how to deal with defining the necessary vote to approve, and focus the discussion about whether to have this bill proceed to a vote or not.

Bad law - it permits the RA to expel a nation for no reason whatsoever. The RA would essentially be able to expel a nation without cause or explanation and without justification.

There needs to be a clause that requires that a nation/member be duly convicted of a crime worthy of expulsion before such and expulsion is permitted. Otherwise, a group of RA members could simply get together and say "let's expel so-and-so because we don't agree with his ideas".

As written, this is a bad law unless it is to be a penalty for a specific action.

Back