Random babbling in the Court Room

I would have expected some warning would have been given before Administration took this kind of action. Or at least some notification. Just pulling the plug on editing without notification or announcement is troubling.

I love this whole "I'm admin I can do whatever I want and you can't make me! *stomps foot on ground and sticks out tongue*" very mature, very sexy.

I miss Hersfold.

This is the first I have heard about it, Josuha. But since Flem is root admin, his word is superior to mine.

I do recall that while I was just a global moderator, a couple of poster were sim ilarly restricted because they were violating terms of service by the language they were using. And those who forum admin decisions, not governmental ones.

(And FWIW, you'd much rather have me moderating, as I have much thinker skin than most.)

I vote Grosse as being root admin. laughing.gif

Flem. How many times have you broke the terms of service?

I'll wait for the list.

Broken the TOS? Easy list: Never, as far as I know.

If you know better, please list them.

Pardon me, I'm only a visitor here. But I'm confused and I'd be grateful to get some clarification on this. I believe I've heard that TNP is a democracy, but this incident seems to mean that actions can and will be taken to restrict the default rights of any citizen simply because an admin 'feels like it'? Without having broken any laws or done anything illegal as per the TOS? And regardless of whether or not such actions are applied equally to others who are doing the same? The confusing thing is that it doesn't sound at all like something that a democracy would do. Am I mistaken and TNP isn't actually a democray? Or am I misunderstanding this? As I said, I'm only a curious visitor here trying to understand what's going on.

This is the first I have heard about it, Josuha. But since Flem is root admin, his word is superior to mine.

I do recall that while I was just a global moderator, a couple of poster were sim ilarly restricted because they were violating terms of service by the language they were using. And those who forum admin decisions, not governmental ones.

(And FWIW, you'd much rather have me moderating, as I have much thinker skin than most.)
I did not violate the TOS that is provided by Invision. Actually Flem you are impinging on my freedom of speech. Part of freedom of speech is the ability to edit my posts. I was not under the impression that your role as root administrator was to fix things that solely pissed you off. If I was flaming, harassing other members, swearing, posting explicit material or whatever else that might violate Invision's TOS then I could understand this action.

But, taking away my editing power without notifying me or giving me any warnings, should not be a tolerable action by our admins on this forum.

Pardon me, I'm only a visitor here. But I'm confused and I'd be grateful to get some clarification on this. I believe I've heard that TNP is a democracy, but this incident seems to mean that actions can and will be taken to restrict the default rights of any citizen simply because an admin 'feels like it'? Without having broken any laws or done anything illegal as per the TOS? And regardless of whether or not such actions are applied equally to others who are doing the same? The confusing thing is that it doesn't sound at all like something that a democracy would do. Am I mistaken and TNP isn't actually a democray? Or am I misunderstanding this? As I said, I'm only a curious visitor here trying to understand what's going on.
Hi Khablan, good to see you here.

It's a fair question, as it does reflect poorly upon our image as a democracy, when someone with authority takes unilateral action without notice or recourse.

Though, that's not an uncommon thing around NS. I seem to recall certain actions by Taijitu leadership upon their member nations...... :P

*BTW, FYI....I'm also Westwind in Equilism....loved those doughnuts*

Oh, and congratulations Flem, on your election in Taijitu.

Hmmm...on that note, I can't edit my posts either, since I tried to change my silly misspelling of "Quite" to "Quiet" but can't.

It seems I was doing something evil with the edit button that I was unawares of! :lol:

I can still warn people, oddly enough...

Blue wolf, I have looked at your group, and you did not have the edit facility checked. I have no idea why - I cannot find on the admin log who did it, so it must have been some time ago. I have reset the facility, so you should now be able to edit your own posts.

If Poltsamaa carries on like this the only ice cream he will get is mr whippy. With crushed nuts.

Ah. I think what we have here is a cultural misunderstanding. In the UK this is a Mr Whippy:

61575707.E7NnXSa1.jpg

and these are crushed nuts:

IS298-028.jpg

The implied "threat" is because Mr Whippy is generally accepted to be crappy ice cream compared with, say, Ben and Jerrys. It is full of additives, vegetable and pig fat and "reconstituted milk substitute".

Saying that the only ice cream Poltsamaa could have was Mr Whippy was, perhaps, something of a threat - but hardly a breech of TOS.

However, if you feel TOS were breeched by that post, feel free to send a support ticket to invisionfree. I am sure they could do with a laugh.

My threat in '05 was just as ridiculous. I had moderators breathing down my neck.

If you disallow Josh and Blue Wolf from editing their posts, you might as well take everyone's rights to edit away.

Lewis and Clark:
Hi Khablan, good to see you here.

It's a fair question, as it does reflect poorly upon our image as a democracy, when someone with authority takes unilateral action without notice or recourse.

Though, that's not an uncommon thing around NS. I seem to recall certain actions by Taijitu leadership upon their member nations...... 

*BTW, FYI....I'm also Westwind in Equilism....loved those doughnuts*

Oh, and congratulations Flem, on your election in Taijitu.

Oh, hello Westwind!

Good heavens, we're sure not to forget that little incident anytime soon, believe me! I must say that I was a bit disappointed that it made Taijitu more famous than my cookies did! But I'm working on that, baking day and night to catch up. But I won't spam this thread any further with that. I'll just leave a big platter full on the table over here and you can all help yourselves.
tongue.gif

Khablan, maybe this will help you.

TNP learned a difficult lesson that forum admin and moderation should not be the one and the same as government. While various government officials have moderator powers over limited areas of the forum, forum administrators and global moderators are selected independently of the government of the day.

The move to this forum was the first expressly approved by the citizens of TNP, designating a root admin, Hersfold. Hersfold selected Flemingovia as a second admin, and selected myself, Great Bights Mum, and Democratic Donkeys as global moderators. When Hersfold retired from NS in February he promoted Flem to root admin, promoted me as admin, and added Tresville as a global mod.

Pah. History will clearly show that I won. I did, you know. It is there somewhere in the archives. Victory is mine.

So, does this 'punishment' stick even though it lacks any real foundation? Even though I was given no warnings, written or otherwise. Administrative decisions should be objective and based on whether the individual actually violated any rules rather then be subjected to personal feelings.

Grosseschnauzer:

TNP learned a difficult lesson that forum admin and moderation should not be the one and the same as government. While various government officials have moderator powers over limited areas of the forum, forum administrators and global moderators are selected independently of the government of the day.

The move to this forum was the first expressly approved by the citizens of TNP, designating a root admin, Hersfold. Hersfold selected Flemingovia as a second admin, and selected myself, Great Bights Mum, and Democratic Donkeys as global moderators. When Hersfold retired from NS in February he promoted Flem to root admin, promoted me as admin, and added Tresville as a global mod.

I thank you very much, Grosseschnauzer, I think that I understand a little bit better than I did before. It's a complicated thing, this adminning business. I think it must be very hard to keep adminning and government completely separate, when the admins are also deeply involved in the regional government. I imagine it would take a very level-headed and objective person to do it fairly, and I'm sure that sort of person is not easy to come by. Admins are human, and therefore, without rules, there would always be the temptation and the risk of someone using the admin privilege for their own political reasons. The admin wouldn't necessarily have to worry about being accountable for his actions, because he could claim to have acted as admin rather than a member of government. So, given all that, I can see how difficult it might be to keep admin from acting in a way that was biased or prejudicial when the temptation is strong.

Grosseschnauzer:

I thank you very much, Grosseschnauzer, I think that I understand a little bit better than I did before. It's a complicated thing, this adminning business. I think it must be very hard to keep adminning and government completely separate, when the admins are also deeply involved in the regional government. I imagine it would take a very level-headed and objective person to do it fairly, and I'm sure that sort of person is not easy to come by. Admins are human, and therefore, without rules, there would always be the temptation and the risk of someone using the admin privilege for their own political reasons. The admin wouldn't necessarily have to worry about being accountable for his actions, because he could claim to have acted as admin rather than a member of government. So, given all that, I can see how difficult it might be to keep admin from acting in a way that was biased or prejudicial when the temptation is strong.
Yes being an admin is tough. We have a warning system established in TNP and there are guidelines that mods and admins are supposed to follow when dealing with troublemakers. There is even a procedure set up in the 'Moderation HQ' on this forum. All of this seems to have been ignored in dealing with me. I realize I am harping on the fact that I broke no laws, forum regulations or the TOS. But, I feel that is an important fact here.

I should have made this additional point in my earlier post.

The admin and global mods have tried to follow a practice that at least some of us are not holding major office in the government at the same time.

Back