Nominations for Elections

My apologies for posting here, as I am not a Cabinet member.

The Election Commissioners are to open a thread for nominations in the Election forum. The Commissioners are the PM and the MoIIA, unless they are running for re-election. In that case, the PM and MoIIA appoints someone, subject to the approval of the Cabinet.

I suppose we need to hear from UK and Gaspo to see if they are going to oversee an election.

I am not yet clear on whether or not we decided to go ahead with elections. I defer to our mostly-absent PM on that issue. I'm here, and can be here more if needed, but honestly, RL is rather rough right now. I work at an office supply store, and it's back-to-school season. Suffice to say, I'm busy.

I motion that we go ahead with elections. There is no legal reason not to. We have a duty to the people of the region to have these elections in a timely manner.

There also needs to be a nomination and confirmation for Chief Justice; Democratic Donkeys' current term expires on the 1st of August, so it needs to be done rather quickly.

Elections are supposed to stat next Tuesday per the guidelines outlines in our constitution. What do we do if UK is not around by then? Do we leave it to Gaspo, or Gaspo and someone else that the government decides upon?

Even a simple matter like overseeing elections becomes difficult. After recent conversations I am not opposed to elections, but elections are merely the first step to fixing the region. Elections will not serve as a cure all for TNP.

I Am ready to open any threads or forum areas needed. I cannot be an election commissioner, because I am hoping to stand in the election.

I am sure many candidates in the coming election will make revision of the constitution part of their platform.

I am not yet clear on whether or not we decided to go ahead with elections. I defer to our mostly-absent PM on that issue.
I've been busy trying to sell my home. Every time I get a luxury'd moment of computer time it seems I have to run and hide in my own home from chavs and their flat-nosed Mrs. Chavettes taking a slack-jawed gawk at the place. They are not very polite at all but eventually one of them I hope is going to give me their money so until that day comes when I can spend it all on the ponies I'm just going to have to live with it. Now, on business affairs I don't have much time as I'm PMing by candelight but I am fairly confident we've already won the battle and elections may actually end up being a good idea. No, I don't intend to oversee the election I'm sorry, we'll have to get someone to be commissioner... err, how about we draw straws?

I am not sure any battles have been won. Upper Kirby. The government is still greatly fragmented and other problems persist. The battle to fix TNP, has only begun.

So, Gaspo and Upper Kirby are sidelined by RL. So, who will be commissioner for the elections? We should decide ASAP.

Section 1 of TNP Law 5 provides the answer:

Section 1: Election Commissioners

The Election process shall be organized and overseen for each election cycle by one or more Election Commissioners who shall be determined as follows:
A - Unless the outgoing incumbent serving as Prime Minister plans to be a candidate for election to any office in the Cabinet, including the UN Delegate, or for Speaker of the Regional Assembly in that election cycle, the outgoing Prime Minister shall serve as an Election Commissioner.
B - Unless the outgoing incumbent serving as Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs plans to be a candidate for election to any office in the Cabinet, including the UN Delegate, or for Speaker of the Regional Assembly in that election cycle, the outgoing Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs shall serve as an Election Commissioner.
C - In the event either or both the Prime Minister and the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs intend to be candidates for election, then the Prime Minister and the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs shall designate, with the consent of a majority of the remaining Cabinet Ministers, not less than one nor more than two persons to serve as Election Commissioners for that election cycle. Each designee shall declare their intention not to be a candidate for election during that election cycle to any office and shall have previously served in office as an elected UN Delegate, as Prime Minister, as an elected Cabinet Minister, as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, or as a Justice of The Court of The North Pacific.
D- The designation of Election Commissioners shall be completed not less than 15 days prior to the beginning of the voting period for elections as designated in Section 2.
E - The Election Commissioners may request the ability to view IP addresses of Nations, or request the assistance of the off-site forum administrators, during this period to verify votes.

Section 1 of TNP Law 5 provides the answer:

Section 1: Election Commissioners

The Election process shall be organized and overseen for each election cycle by one or more Election Commissioners who shall be determined as follows:
A - Unless the outgoing incumbent serving as Prime Minister plans to be a candidate for election to any office in the Cabinet, including the UN Delegate, or for Speaker of the Regional Assembly in that election cycle, the outgoing Prime Minister shall serve as an Election Commissioner.
B - Unless the outgoing incumbent serving as Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs plans to be a candidate for election to any office in the Cabinet, including the UN Delegate, or for Speaker of the Regional Assembly in that election cycle, the outgoing Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs shall serve as an Election Commissioner.
C - In the event either or both the Prime Minister and the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs intend to be candidates for election, then the Prime Minister and the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs shall designate, with the consent of a majority of the remaining Cabinet Ministers, not less than one nor more than two persons to serve as Election Commissioners for that election cycle. Each designee shall declare their intention not to be a candidate for election during that election cycle to any office and shall have previously served in office as an elected UN Delegate, as Prime Minister, as an elected Cabinet Minister, as Speaker of the Regional Assembly, or as a Justice of The Court of The North Pacific.
D- The designation of Election Commissioners shall be completed not less than 15 days prior to the beginning of the voting period for elections as designated in Section 2.
E - The Election Commissioners may request the ability to view IP addresses of Nations, or request the assistance of the off-site forum administrators, during this period to verify votes.

And how long will that take Grosse? The election process is slated to begin tomorrow. It would be nice if the process could be expedited and someone was able to appoint an election commissioner without needing a quorum.

The government knew that the electoral process was slated to begin on Tuesday. It would have been nice if we had known sooner that neither the MoIIA or PM were able to preside over the election. That way we could have had this figured out by now.

I realize the government is fractured, and we have what some call a rogue delegate. But, the one thing we actually agree on are the elections. And this matter should already have been dealt with by now. It should not be tackled the day before the electoral process is supposed to kick in.

I am but a deputy minister, but since no one else has nominated anyone. I would like to nominate Blue Wolf II and Lewis and Clark.

L&C has not held office, and would not be eligible.

I had mentioned elsewhere, but would be happy to be a Commish as I am term-limited this go-round.

L&C has not held office, and would not be eligible.

I had mentioned elsewhere, but would be happy to be a Commish as I am term-limited this go-round.
Great! All we need is one.

I consent to Byard as Election Commissioner (if UK/Gaspo should designate him).

Right. Obviously, we're not going to make the constitutionally-approved date. However, given that we can't put back spilt milk, let's decide when we're going to hold these elections. I'll say 1 week of nominations, another week of campaigning, and then a week of elections? If we start soon, we'll be out of elections before August ends.

All in favor?

I am officially announcing my intent to run for the position of Attorney General and also for re-election for the Board of Regents of the University

Right. Obviously, we're not going to make the constitutionally-approved date. However, given that we can't put back spilt milk, let's decide when we're going to hold these elections. I'll say 1 week of nominations, another week of campaigning, and then a week of elections? If we start soon, we'll be out of elections before August ends.

All in favor?
I'll second that.

Any voting for the Board of Regents is independent of the General Election process. Under Law 17, the next election for the Regents will be during the first week of September.

The primary need is to verify current eligibility for voters (that they current have a TNP nation and UN nation in the region). As the Election COmmissioner last time, I need to send Byard the password to the Voting Booth account.

If I were Byard I would start the election calendar from the date the nomination period should be opened, and count forward from there. We should have started the nominations on the 22nd of July so we would need to move the other dates back about 12 days as of today.

In addition, Ator People needs to canvass the NPA asap as to NPA endorsements of MoD and deputy MoD nominees.

Back