(A01) Intro to NS I, Class 6

Lesson 6: Creating a new nation or region "Puppets, MWAHAHAHA!!!"

Tired of your one nation? That's okay--just create a new one! NationStates rules allow for you to make as many nations as you want. This will be useful not only in order to branch out to other regions and other national personas, but also in other aspects of gameplay that we'll discuss later.

You'll meet many people who have made multiple nations in NS. Most of them have one main nation and a whole bevy of other nations that they use for other purposes. As a matter of terminology, those other nations are referred to as "puppets".

But I know how to create a nation already!

Yes, you have. And I assumed that you already had at the beginning of the class (thus, why this section did not occur earlier). However, you may wish to mold the characteristics of your new nation in one particular direction. Maybe you want an absolutely tyrannical nation with a planned economy or maybe a nation that has freedoms out the wazoo but a terrible economy. Since what you answer when you're creating your nation affects your nation so much, how can you make your nation as close to what you invision?

Well, if you'd like, you can do some guess-and-test yourself. You'd simply be drowned in a sea of puppets by the end. :/ Therefore, to save you (and me) the work, I'm simply going to link you to an old thread where someone did all the hard work for us. :D

OMG CLICK ME

But what is it good for? Well, eventually, you may come to have membership/residency in several regions at once, and it's good to keep a nation in each region not only for ease of communication but (oftentimes) as proof of residency. A puppet can also be a good place to redirect comments or whatnot, if you're in a high-profile position that interacts a lot with the general public. Also, if you're in the intel or military business of NS, you'll be cycling through puppets like crazy for operational security.

Some rules to remember
  • You can create as many nations as you want.
  • You can post on the forums with as many nations as you want.
  • However, you can ONLY have one UN nation at any one time.
  • You can't spam someone in-game or on the RMB with multiple nations. Even though they're different nations, they're all controlled by you. The mods don't take too kindly to it.
  • As a good rule of thumb: Try to keep your puppets alive if you intend to use them. The mods get a bit peeved if you keep on sending them lists of puppets to revive. :P
Creating a region

Sometimes, you realize your current region doesn't fit you. Rather, no region in the NS world fits you. So, you might as well make your own region.

I'm too lazy to take screenshots right now, so just follow these directions.
  • Click the your region's link to display the regional page.
  • Click "Move to a new region" right above the daily UN rankings.
  • Click "Create a New Region".
  • Fill in the appropriate information. Everything on this page can be changed later EXCEPT for the region's name. So, be sure to spell correctly. :P
  • Click "Create Region". Voila! You're in your new region!
Congratulations, you're now the founder of your very own region. You are practically the god of this region. So, what can you do?
  • Kick out as many people as you want.
  • Ban as many people as you want.
  • Set a password on the region.
  • Decide if the Delegate can do the three things above.
  • Change the WFE.
Let's take a look at the regional controls:

reg_settingscopy.gif

ejectcopy.gif

This is pretty much identical to what you would see as the UN Delegate (if the Delegate had access to regional controls), except that as founder, there is no influence cost on anything. Therefore, founder = god.

Everything else is pretty self-explanatory. Still, don't spam and don't be a dick. You can do practically anything to anyone your region, but you're still subject to NS rules.

Recruitment!

You know what's everyone's favorite activity? Recruitment! :D </sarcasm>

In order to bring people to your region, you have to advertise. You can do that by telegramming people or posting on feeder RMB's. Let's go over the rules for recruiting:
  • Each region may only send one recruiting telegram for each nation they're recruiting. This means that even if you have multiple recruiters, all of them can only collectively send one telegram to each nation. Organize and be careful. Of course, if a nation responds to your telegram for more information, you're free to answer and follow up.
  • Each region may post one recruitment ad per day per feeder RMB. You're allowed to post the ad in all the Pacifics everyday, but only once in each.
  • You're ONLY allowed to recruit from the feeders. Don't send nations in user-created regions recruitment ads. Don't post recruitment ads on a user-created region's RMB.
I've seen a lot of bad recruitment ads before, so here's a few pointers. The basic point is that although clarity doesn't necessarily translate into interest, unclearness definitely translates into disinterest.
  1. Have a hook in the beginning.
  2. Make it VERY clear what region you're recruiting for.
  3. Divide up your points. It makes for easier reading. Please, no wall o' text.
  4. Keep it short. People aren't going to sit around, waiting on a giant ad to read.
  5. You don't need to summarize everything that's going on in your region. Please see points 3 and 4.
Annnnd...*dons MoC cap* Please, please, please keep it below 15 lines if you're going to post it on the RMB. It's a good gauge of "Is my ad too long?", and more often than not, the answer is "yes". And please don't put in the bit about how to move regions. It takes up so much space, and a player should either know how to move regions or know to ask how.

Conclusion

Branch out and explore. NS lets you do it, so go ahead and take a stab. Move around to different regions and find out what's in your taste. But your nation doesn't have to leave home. Just send out another nation, reside in two good regions, and gain with no loss.

----------------------------------------------

Wheeeeeee! Late, I know. But I'm almost caught up! :(

Today, I'd like to hear about how you've used puppets before in the past, OR why you think being allowed to have multiple nations is good or bad. There's arguments to be made for both.

I have enough time for 1 nation of sub 200 million. If it gets bigger I might make some satellite states but as of now I'm busy enough with just the 1.
I can see how it is good to be a part of different regions. Will the utility of puppets for intelligence and defending become clear later?

I currently have 3 states, with all three kept in my present region 'Hethrum' for the majority of the time. My first puppet died quite a while ago due to disuse, i understand the residency issue but would like to think I am pledged to the one region. I operate 'Short Term Clone' as a backup nation, orignally used to have conv with myself in an empty forum/region, but now could be deleted. I also operate 'Hethrum Recruiter 02' as the official recruiter/regional messenger for the Hethrum Council, a role i have yet to forfit to commitee

Back