Help me, deusche-sprechers!

I need a synonym for "doom" (or something similar) that starts with the letter M.

My reasons are my own, and I'll brook no grammatical corrections of my title.

GO!

Niedergang doesn't really hit the spot (too gradual-casual), and wrong letter anyway. Nothing really comes to mind that isn't a V or F or T sort of word. For instance, German has a lot of words using death: Tod, Todesfall, Todesopfer ('death', moreorless, depending on usage); Todesängste ausstehen, totprügeln, Totenkult, todesmutig sein, Totentanz, schwarzer Tod, Totenkopf (Death's Head), Todesstoß. Most of those can be attributed to the "Lego"-like way the German language handles compound nouns. It has been a little while, so watch for possible flub-uppery.

Why not Moirae? It's not German, but it comes from Greek so it does carry over. If you wanted to be literary about it. The Norse equivalent of the Fates would be the Norns -another letter near-miss. If you don't mind a multiple word phrase so long as there is an M in it somewhere one of the various German terms for Judgement Day/Last Judgement/Day of the Lord is Nacht ohne Morgen, which one can expect to be a fairly doomy sort of affair.

My mind's circling around stuff like Mord and Missgeschick, but Murder has nothing to do with it beyond being negative.

Although Missgeschick means ill fortune, and you could come up with it if you abused a thesaurus for a few minutes. But it really doesn't match up to Schicksal. That is the most common translation (and the one that was used for Mt. Doom, which is the Schicksalsberg).

Untergang, Verhängnis, Unheil, Verdammnis...

HA!

Menetekel. I think it may be Hebrew in origin, and it's not often used, but it is a real word in German.

I'll be unable to help you unless you don't describe the circumstances of your M word...
:yes: Circumstances would be nice to help...

One idea:
If you are totally desperate finding an M-word, you may put "Mords" in front of the word you wanted to use, meaning "extremely", "big" etc. in colloquial language. Like "Mordskatastrophe" for severe catastrophe. But this requires someone understanding colloquial German, not just basic German. And it may not be suitable for every word.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menetekel

Yar...

There stands written, dear Byard:

"A Menetekel describes a catastrophe-announcing warning, an earnest admonition, or an omen of an imminent disaster."

Sounds doomed, eh?

;)

But that would be really really high language, and nearly exclusively written. I may have used it perhaps 5 times while speaking in my entire life.

Have fun!

(Hey, actually we could make a game out of that, no? "What do I want to say?" or so... :P )

I like it - I'm using it in a forced acronym for my homemade firework this year.

Also, I believe I have salmonella. That's neither here nor there, and has precious little to do with the discussion at hand, but meh.

As it sits, we are up to

Knistern XXX für die Massen

One to be able to use KMFDM as my acronym*, and to reflect the massive use of a particular, crackling, firework to construct the beast. What better way to celebrate the independence of one's nation than by blowing a small part of it up?

* - by law, all firework names must derive from another source - Crackletoa, House of 1000 Crackles, and Improvised Crackle Bomb Munition are recent entries.

Why not use the original KMFDM translation:

Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit/Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid

Since no compassion for the masses/majority would certainly suit a large (+scary) pretty-bomb like the one you're making.

Great band live, btw.

Back