Request for Review

What, praytell, would be the ramifications for all involved if a candidate for office had their name misspelled on the ballot, and then some of the votes were cast for the name as it was spelled, and the others for the correct spelling?

You know, just wondering.

As long as the voter's intent is clear, the votes shall be counted. In the instance of the misspelling of Byardkuria's name on the ballot, common sense dictates that those copying from the ballot form intend to elect Byardkuria.

OOC- One time when I ran for local office on a write-in campaign, the county election board recorded ballots with at least 6 different spellings of my last name. (Which, btw, only has 5 letters!) They all counted toward my total votes received. It would have been silly not to count them.

Thank you, Madam Justice. It's good to know I won't have to resort to my contingency plan, which, let's be honest, was a bit sketchy anywho.

What, praytell, would be the ramifications for all involved if a candidate for office had their name misspelled on the ballot, and then some of the votes were cast for the name as it was spelled, and the others for the correct spelling?

I would concur with GBM.

If the intent of the voter was clear, without regard to exact spelling of a candidate's name, the vote should be counted.

In principle, the act of voting for 'John Doe' but spelling it 'Jon doh' would import the intent to vote for 'John Doe' without any need for clarification as to the intent of the voter.

I agree that the voter intention is clear, as long as we do not have an additional player "Byardrukia" or something similar.

I would concur with GBM.

If the intent of the voter was clear, without regard to exact spelling of a candidate's name, the vote should be counted.

In principle, the act of voting for 'John Doe' but spelling it 'Jon doh' would import the intent to vote for 'John Doe' without any need for clarification as to the intent of the voter.
What if John Doe were running against bitter political rival Jon Dough? There would be chaos --CHAOS I tells ya! What with the bubbling and the write-in and the confused polling workers and electoral fraudry charging from the illegibly disenfranchised. The streets would run pink with eraser shavings, what with the blood of the martyrs having been spilled.

[size=-1]Vote Upper Kirby: He thinks about these sorts of things[/size]

I notice, for example, that on the current ballot they miss-spelled "Flemingovia" as "Upper Kirby" several times.

This could have caused the confusion of several people thinking they were voting for Upper Kirby for Prime Minister, when instead they were voting for me.

:P

Realistically, this is one of those "cross that bridge when we come to it" moments. Also, as admin, if we got a forum name that was very one already existing, I would probably ask the new person to change their name to avoid confusion, long before any election time.

Back