The Running of the Byard

Posting without a second for my nomination yet - I am bold!

In any case, I am largely going to operate in the Q&A format used in the past. This will be like 6 or 7 or 8 or so times on the SC, but my first shot at the Ministry of Justice. Other than having every intention, should a case arise, of being the first person to successfully prosecute a case, I will simply continue to prevent the region from sliding headfirst into bedlam.

Questions?

There, you have your second :P

If elected, what would you like to see achieved in your Ministry? Would those be any large changes to the system, or "stay the course"? Also, would you like fries with that?

Well, as mentioned, I would like very much for our region to have a court case that doesn't burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp, as it were. That alone is enough of a radical change that, until it is accomplished, I am not too concerned about other frippery. Part of this will be through, for want of a better term, a bit of cherry-picking of the cases we take - I do have enough experience with the local laws to be able to go "Yes, it sucks that that happened, but it isn't exactly against the law as such" when a dubious charge is presented, keeping us from a six-month legal quagmire. On the other hand, if I think I see a way to get a case to stick, there shall be no dilly-dallying. But I will also know when the expired equine has been adequately flogged.

And yes, with mayonnaise for dipping, because I'm apparently imaginary-Belgian.

Are you satisfied that the changes in jury selection procedures and the time standards for criminal trials are enough for a prompt and fair trial? If not, what else do you think is needed?

Do you feel you handled your term as MoC&E to the best of your abilities? Were you perhaps sidetracked by your duties as a member of the Security Council?

@ Grosse - Honestly, I don't feel that legislation will make as much difference in prompt resolution of trials as competent and interested parties on both sides of the case will. All I can do is promise that whichever side the Region takes will be there every day, pressing and pressing until the case is closed. There will be no week-plus gaps dragging the trials along, in other words. If the jurors have something to do, they will likely keep participating, in my opinion.

@BW - not even close - as I alluded to in THIS thread, I realized I was not cut out for Culture and Ed - overseeing Regents committee meetings, to be honest, bores the living hell out of me, although it certainly made me appreciate the Legal portion of the game that much more, I can tell you. With respects to my SC duties, the tasks of the two are so dissimilar that, aside from the difficulty of simultaneously posting in two fora, they really did not impinge on one another. Any shortcomings in my tenure as MoCE (which, incidentally, I consider to be the nadir of my political career) reflect only on my own displeasure with the position.

A Question:

If overseeing board meetings is bureaucratic and boring, why will overseeing a prosecution be different?

(I think I know the answer but I am curious as to how you phrase it :D)

@ Elu - The root of drama is conflict, which is something that is ultimately lacking in our Uni committee. While this is a boon for the region, it does make the Chairmanship of the committee somewhat less exciting than the arguments of the Court, which, it turns out, I enjoy. Law is a game I like to play, in other words - whilst a Justice, there were several times that I disagreed with a tactic or direction taken by one side or the other, and wanted to get in there swinging*. This never happened with the MoCE. It's the difference between coaching a game, and coaching passing drills.

@ Vit - you magnificent bastard! I thought for sure we had seen the back of you for the last time, and I am ever so glad to be wrong about it. Welcome back!

EDIT - BTW, sorry for the delay in my responses - sudden work things. You know how it is.

Law is a game I like to play, in other words - whilst a Justice, there were several times that I disagreed with a tactic or direction taken by one side or the other, and wanted to get in there swinging*.
Were you going to put in a footnote or something or am I just confused? :pinch:

This is going around to all candidates, so make it good :P

What is your favorite colour, how does that colour make you feel, and what does this colour represent to you, with RL examples please?

@ Elu - yes, but it worked better as the example then as a clarification of what I was trying to say, so in it went. I forgot el asteriko.

@ FEC - Hell yeah - in fact, have two.

One small flaw, Eras;

My first time as MoJ,

but I was a judge.

Byard is like a lawyer;

on the internet, at least.

And not as sleazy.

@ Dali -

I will go with grey - it makes me feel inconspicuous, and it represents neutrality, with a possibility of ass-kicking in the near future (see the sky before a storm, and the suits IRS guys wear).

@ Elu - the role of the constitution and legal code are to define what the government may NOT do to the people. In those cases where the government must act to diminish the rights of an individual or group (i.e. punishment for a crime), the documents serve to limit what actions may be taken and under what circumstances. As such, the rights of the accused are paramount - I believe my work as a Justice in the trials of Cathyy will demonstrate a devotion to this idea.

@ SWA - simply put, I plan on doing everything possible NOT to have another FL situation . There is a time when the prosecution needs to realize that they do not have a winnable case (for whatever reason), and need to drop charges. At the same time, making sure that said charges are appropriate and prosecutable will go a long way toward avoiding a repeat of that particular fiasco.

@ BW - I don't know - what law did you break?

Back