Holidays

Be it enacted by the Regional Assembly of the North Pacific -

Cognizant of the role of shared national events in shaping and maintaining the culture of a region, and mindful of the importance of a regions history and the lessons it may contain, The North Pacific hereby recognizes the following annual holidays.

1. The first day of January shall be known as Remembrance Day, and shall provide an occasion for Nations to reflect upon and remember those players who have left the region, and Nationstates.

2. The twenty-sixth day of May shall be known as Liberation Day, and shall provide an occasion for Nations to commemorate the end of the delegacy of Pixiedance, and the return of a democratic government to the region.

3. The seventh day of July shall be known as Constitution Day, and shall provide an occasion for Nations to commemorate the ratification of the Constitution of the North Pacific.

4. The twenty-fifth day of October shall be known as Freedom Day, and shall provide and occasion for Nations to reflect upon the importance of vigilance, and the role of each Nation in assuring the security and sovereignty of its neighbors, and of its region as a whole.

4. The twenty-fifth day of October shall be known as Freedom Day, and shall provide and occasion for Nations to reflect upon the importance of vigilance, and the role of each Nation in assuring the security and sovereignty of its neighbors, and of its region as a whole.
Which historical event does this celebrate?

(I apologize for my level of ignorance there. I think that it's the date that Great Bight was overthrown... maybe?)

4.  The twenty-fifth day of October shall be known as Freedom Day, and shall provide and occasion for Nations to reflect upon the importance of vigilance, and the role of each Nation in assuring the security and sovereignty of its neighbors, and of its region as a whole.
Which historical event does this celebrate?

(I apologize for my level of ignorance there. I think that it's the date that Great Bight was overthrown... maybe?)
I'm pretty sure GB was overthrown on July 28th or some day close to that. I have no clue what October 25th is supposed to represent, though.

Maybe it's the day that PD ascended to the delegacy?

Correction: According to the NSWiki article, October 25 2003 was the date Pixiedance ascended to the Delegacy. I'm not sure I'd use that date for a holiday.

S2 became the forum of the region on or about November 23 2003. That could be an alternate date, since that's fairly close to the founding of the region off-site from NS.

It was the day PD ascended to the delegacy - an event which, while auspicious at the time, turned out to have dire consequences for the region. That was why I felt it appropriate for a day dedicated to continued vigilance.

However, I do not foresee myself crying if we wish to change it - I owuldlike ot keep it in the closing quarter of the year for the sake of balance, but that's about it.

Long, long ago 28th July was made a national holiday called "liberation day", marking 28th July 2004 when Great Bight was overthrown.

Originally, if memory serves, the celebrations were to be every three months - something we have never really kept.

There are now precious few of us left who can remember Puppetmaster. But I for one would like the day kept in our calendar, for the sake of old veterans.

26th May should be called "WTF Day"

I think the 28th of July is a better holiday than the 26th of May but maybe that's just me.

We could have both of them be liberation day I suppose.

I am all for the July 28 Liberation Day - the purpose of these holidays is, after all, the preservation and perpetuation of the memory of those events that shaped the culture of TNP, and Great Bight, while (slightly) before my time, certainly qualifies.

I also like the WTF day, but still woul like something Pixie-related - it is the Great Bight of my generation, after all.

You know, I had that thought as well, but wanted to focus on more TNP specific events for this go-round. If the people are for it, though, why the hell not?

I'm pretty sure GB was overthrown on July 28th or some day close to that. I have no clue what October 25th is supposed to represent, though.

Maybe it's the day that PD ascended to the delegacy?
Shouldn't we have July 28 in there then?

The more holidays, the better :)

I like the idea, the dates and the names, except the last one (25th Oct) due to the reasons given above. Although I agree that "WTF day" is an appropriate name, I would prefer to keep Byard's proposal. Yet, I like the idea of a "funny holiday".
What about celebrating "WTF day" on 25th of May and Liberation day on 26th? Two days holidays is not bad to relax a little bit.

I favor the inclusion of the following in the proposal:

1 January - Remembrance Day
26 May - WTF Day (the fall of Pixiedance regime)
9 June per date of this thread at s2) - Liberty Day (commemorating the date the original Constitution went into effect)
7 July - Constitution Day (approval date of current Constitution)
28 July - Liberation Day (fall of Great Bight regime)
13 November - Creation Day (Nationstates)
23 November - Founders Day (first officiao TNP forum)

The only one I took out was 25 October, for reasons several (including me mentioned) The one on 9 June might be a few days earlier, but I still haven't found a thread showing when the original Constitution was approved. 9 June was the date it was posted.

it was approved finaly by Thel D'ran after the fall of great bight upon his accension to the delegacy so a date near then would work. I can enquire with him if you would like?

I'm not exactly sure how that could be, FL. The date of the posted original Constitution predates the fall of Great Bight by a month and a half, and seems to be before Great Bight took the Delegacy from UPS Rail. (I'm looking at dates I can glean from s2 and the TNP NS wiki article.)

With no new additions/arguments for a week, here goes.

Be it enacted by the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific -

Cognizant of the role of shared national events in shaping and maintaining the culture of a region, and mindful of the importance of a region's history and the lessons it may contain, The North Pacific hereby recognizes the following annual holidays.

1. The first day of January shall be known as Remembrance Day, and shall provide an occasion for Nations to reflect upon and remember those players who have left the region and the game of Nationstates.

2. The twenty-sixth day of May shall be known as Manumission Day, and shall provide an occasion for Nations to commemorate the end of the delegacy of Pixiedance, and the return of a democratic government to the region.

3. The seventh day of July shall be known as Constitution Day, and shall provide an occasion for Nations to commemorate the ratification of the Constitution of the North Pacific.

4. The twenty-eighth day of July shall be known as Liberation Day, and shall provide an occasion for Nations to commemorate the overthrow of Great Bight, and the return of a native government to the region.

5. The thirteenth day of November shall be known as Creation Day, and shall provide an opportunity for Nations to commemorate the establishment of that first and greatest of games, Nationstates; as well as provide an opportunity to enjoy and extend fellowship to our counterparts throughout the NationStates communities.

6. The twenty-third day of November shall be known as Founders' Day, and shall provide an opportunity for Nations to commemorate the establishment of the first official forum of The North Pacific, and the establishment through it of the community which has kept The North Pacific as the preeminent region in Nationstates.

Please keep in mind that additional holidays can always be legislated in piecemeal down the road, or we can add them in FD. But lets get moving forward, shall we?

EDIT - punctuation/capitalization.

I hear ya. Just let me get a few things straightened out first.

Without going into details, I think I'll be emplacing this in FD by wednesday.

Back