Initial thoughts

Haor Chall

The Power of the Dark Side
TNP Nation
Haor Chall
Right then. To start I thought it would be sensible to state what we want to achieve first. Quite simply then, to create some kind of domestic economic system within TNP, to allow people to form RP businesses, etc.

I think the real question is how we go about doing so, whether we go for a post count based system or not and how it will be administered.

First off I believe that a primarily post-count based system would not be a very intelligent system.

In designing such a system, one must look to what the behaviors we want it to encourage are-- what is of benefit to the region. In Taijitu, the issuance of currency to the membership by the Government (or rather forum automation) is given for services to the region-- rewards for recruitment performed, and for membership in the army, senate, diplomatic corps, work as a Minister, position as Supreme Court Justice, and as Delegate.

The primary utility of the way in which currency is distributed is to reward those who contribute to the region's success. In the North I believe that this would largely be based on contribution as a Minister, as a soldier, and for other forms of civic service. Service in the DC, the University, and the Task Force is especially important to reward, although some base salary for RA members would not be amiss.

However, there is always the question of physical feasability. In Taijitu this question was simpler to resolve due to direct access to the forum software. Here I am unsure as to what the proper action would be.

If it is not possible to automate the distribution of salaries, then it would be necessary to decide upon an administrator who would execute the (then preferably simple) sysem.

Yeah, funnily enough that's the sort of thing I set out just over a year ago when this first came up. Rather than go through it again, here's my post from before:

I was thinking about this last night at work (well, there wasn't much else to do) and I had this idea. Essentially, to me it looks like a post-count based economy isn't going to work so I thought of an alternate way of doing things. Hopefully this will make sense...

Anyway, the idea was that everyone would get paid a "wage" (everyone being the RA's and stuff not foreign ambassadors or anyone else). The wage would be fairly minimal for RA's and then there would be increased salaries for NPA/DC members, Ministers, etc. Now the only problem with this (presuming it is workable) is the valuble time of our admins- whether Hers/Flem or a new 'banker' admin- but if wages were added say once a month, with around 50 RA's (I think...), that shouldn't be too bad to do perhaps?

There would then be services that people could spend their money on (like the forum ads) which would go into the government/bank/forum (I'm kinda using the three interchangably in this) and would then go towards paying everyones wages next month. The idea being that if we can break even on wages against money coming into the government then you can have a fixed amount of money in the system (although the amount of money to start with would be several times larger than the initial wages cost- enough to run without any gov. income for perhaps 4-5 months- because I imagine even if this does get off the ground we'd certainly start with a government deficit for a while). I'm not sure what other things the government/bank can do to actually raise money though- the MoAE could run a lottery with x amount to enter and half the money raised going as prize money and half to the government, or whatever.

The second way to raise money would be taxes. In many ways an income tax would be pointless but it would allow the government to reduce the amount to be spent on wages and therefore balance the books at some point in the future. The main thing however would be that if people want to set up a business (flag makers for example, or whatever) they would have to register their company with the bank and then pay VAT (or something similar) on every transaction. The Bank could offer loans (charging interest) as well although at the moment I'm not sure what anyone would want a loan for. Savings accounts are more difficult and I'm not sure they'd work at this stage.

So, does this sound feasible?

Getting an admin to dedicate the time to manual updates of the $ stat is a serious stumbling block. I don't know if there is a better code that could be used - as it is, salaries for officers would nearly require one dedicated admin to run the transactions.

The suggestion at the time was for a dedicated "banking" admin. Ultimately, if this is to be successful, you'd probably need that even if you just stuck with a post count based system, as you will still have to handle transactions. That does rely on what Flem/Grosse think of course.

I haven't had the opportunity to discuss things with Flem, as he ahd I seem to be on oppose cycles af presence in the forums and being online.
I would suggest that you first look at what sort of plan you want to have, and then we can look at what's possible functionally in terms of the backroom stuff. There are waysfor Flem or I to get in touch with Hersfold on the functionality aspects, when the time is right. (And I wouldn't dream of adding another admin without's Hers' input. Flem and I are merely custodians.)

The other factor that'sunknow right now is what effect the Zetaboards upgrade would have; and that one is a question of a whole different character. So I, as I said, go ahead and figure ouywhat sort of system you want to have, then we'll work with you to see how it can be implement in the backrooom operation.

Since I inquired if the Banking System was dead or alive, and that was before I could see this forum. I am curious what and if anything came from this? I am very interested personally in the banking system idea. I was mildly involved in getting one going in Ile de France and The Exodus.

Opinions/thoughts/ideas welcome guys. Input is needed. Byardkuria, Eluvatar, EM and BW (as the current MoCE) have all been sent PM's about this.

As I mentioned in the above thread I like the idea of resurrecting some interest and oversight. I think the economic RP will do a fair bit to help with the realism/international affairs dynamic, not to mention add a bit of fun.

I think the possibilty of this merger seems to be benefical for our two regions but i do not want for the commission to jump in head first without checking to depth of the pool and would need some more long term finanical standing in the future

Back